Bike Lights - To be Seen

PygaSchmyga

I'm here to bang the Varia drum (again). When I detect a car from the rear, I put out my arm requesting a wider pass and while not scientific, I've noted that when I do, I get more space than when I won't put my arm out. I think it's the driver thinking 'oh! that IS a human. They need space'

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

re: beam pattern. OP said he is NOT riding in the dark, so in my opinion beam pattern is much less of an issue.

ok I misread that, but beam pattern is still a big factor.

here's a piccy picture to say show just quoting a "lumen value" tells very little about the light. especially when it is just printed on the box.

image.png.c2460462bd6f3066e42c56a1ac55e822.png

Support the bontrager light options mentioned, but first prize is definitely the varia light combo, pricey, but auto adjusts to light conditions and buys and extra hour in the mornings and evenings if you run a bit long. 

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-light-sets/c/E229/

I run this option because I ride in the dark.
Front light under my Garmin and rear light attached to the saddle rails.
Neat and very effective along with the Garmin connection, where you can see the battery life and get them to switch on and off when you start/finish your ride.
Trek Commuter Pro RT Flare RT Bike Light Set

19 minutes ago, splat said:

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-light-sets/c/E229/

Neat and very effective along with the Garmin connection, where you can see the battery life and get them to switch on and off when you start/finish your ride.

Back this - I have a thing for lights, tried and tested many over the years and find this combo to be the best. 

A HUUUGE thank you to all who commented here, this has been hellova useful.  I have learnt way more than my google searches which just overwhelmed with info that was overwhelming and not that useful

TIPTOP hubbers, BUY a DONKEY

BANG for buck time!

If you're not riding in the dark 3 times a week to justify a GTi light setup, then these are really good option on the wallets. I have some of the mini usb red jobbies, and for a cappucino and a muffin  they are five star. last a good 3 hours on flash mode

https://www.rookiesports.co.za/product-category/cycling/lights/ 

well done

@RookieSports.co.za

I think any of the modern name brand LED lights will do more than adequately for your purposes.

From my commuter experience, the RYDER lights are very good, well priced, and if anything goes wrong they do stand by their warranty.

23 hours ago, splat said:

Highly recommended (i have used the predecessor for years). 

Don't buy the cheaper bontrager lights because, as per other comments, they don't have great battery life (even if they do provide great illumination)

I swear by my Gramin Varia when integrated in to the Garmin head unit - i even have had people ride with me start to listen to its alarms and act knowing. acar is appraoching from the rear. If you dont have the money for that then just something with an intermittent strobe.

Front lights similar - the garmin lihgt is i think overrrated for the front - its not easy to attach.

TBH I couldnt care less about cars and lumens or brightness. IMO  the  brighter the better  and the more random the strobe pattern the better as it gets you noticed. This society doesnt obey any rules whilst driving so if someone overtakes oncoming to you and thinks you are a motorbike because your light is so bright they will treat you with more respect.

48 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

any thoughts on Ravemen lights?

https://www.ravemen.com/front-lights.html

Great, but no local support anymore. My current headlight is one of theirs. Ticks all the boxes - Gopro mount, compact, decent beam, bright, and blinky. Works for riding in the dark as well, although above about 40km/h you're guessing where you're going.

3 hours ago, PygaSchmyga said:

any thoughts on Ravemen lights?

https://www.ravemen.com/front-lights.html

I have a PR1600 and am really happy with it. Over 2 years old now so battery not as strong as it used to be. Lasts about an hour on high beam for MTB in the dark but will go all day in blink mode on the road.

• 4 months later...

I'm being lazy in all honesty to look if this is the right thread, but here goes.

The last couple of mornings I have been out for my regular cycle along the West Coast cycle path to Melkbos. The first hour at least is in absolute darkness. That hour before the sun breaks through the black shroud of night. The last two mornings though was even darker thanks to the pea-soup fog that has been hanging around.

Imagine my utter bewilderment while I am riding on that path, with only my own light shining on the path and thinking I'm alone with not even a car to illuminate things, only to see a bicycle or a jogger emerge from the blackness at the absolute last moment in time. Much too late to even react let alone greet them.

How does someone decide to run / cycle in the pitch blackness of night with not even one light?

I am dumbfounded. 

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm being lazy in all honesty to look if this is the right thread, but here goes.

The last couple of mornings I have been out for my regular cycle along the West Coast cycle path to Melkbos. The first hour at least is in absolute darkness. That hour before the sun breaks through the black shroud of night. The last two mornings though was even darker thanks to the pea-soup fog that has been hanging around.

Imagine my utter bewilderment while I am riding on that path, with only my own light shining on the path and thinking I'm alone with not even a car to illuminate things, only to see a bicycle or a jogger emerge from the blackness at the absolute last moment in time. Much too late to even react let alone greet them.

How does someone decide to run / cycle in the pitch blackness of night with not even one light?

I am dumbfounded. 

It's a constant gripe of ours whenever we ride out on that path before sunrise. I've shouted at more than a few cyclists and runners, it's just plain stupid in my opinion.