The Munga 2023

JohanDiv

11 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

I am still baffled at how in the name of visa card can anyone afford this race. 30K would last me 3 months touring. I can't believe. 

I can only speak for myself: the SPCA approached the race organisation for a discounted entry based on our campaign of 2022. We were told to apply for a discretionary special free entry, which I duly submitted with the appropriate motivational letters. Our application was successful so i need to express my sincerest gratitude towards Alex Harris and his team for the generous gesture!

As mentioned before in the other thread, I am not funding my participation by disguising it as a fundraiser. I pay for all of my expenses out of my own pocket so therefore each and every cent raised goes to the Cape of Good Hope SPCA to try and cover their expenses when dealing with animal rescue. This has been my sole intention from day one and it remains unchanged. 

Last year i bit the bullet and paid my own entry, when it was slightly cheaper. If it wasn't for the gesture from race organisation, i wouldnt be doing it again this year. That’s all i have to say about that 🙂

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to be a proper money spinner this event with almost no logistics except renting a sattelite for the tracking.

11 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

I am still baffled at how in the name of visa card can anyone afford this race. 30K would last me 3 months touring. I can't believe. 

yet they come back every year!

just checked. it's actually R35k you get another fortnight of riding where you want and seeing awesome things! 

11 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

yet they come back every year!

just checked. it's actually R35k you get another fortnight of riding where you want and seeing awesome things! 

@Shebeen have you done the Munga?

8 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

I can only speak for myself: the SPCA approached the race organisation for a discounted entry based on our campaign of 2022. We were told to apply for a discretionary special free entry, which I duly submitted with the appropriate motivational letters. Our application was successful so i need to express my sincerest gratitude towards Alex Harris and his team for the generous gesture!

As mentioned before in the other thread, I am not funding my participation by disguising it as a fundraiser. I pay for all of my expenses out of my own pocket so therefore each and every cent raised goes to the Cape of Good Hope SPCA to try and cover their expenses when dealing with animal rescue. This has been my sole intention from day one and it remains unchanged. 

Last year i bit the bullet and paid my own entry, when it was slightly cheaper. If it wasn't for the gesture from race organisation, i wouldnt be doing it again this year. That’s all i have to say about that 🙂

Sir I am not attacking anyone on a personal level. I just personally do not see any value here. Good luck by the way. This is a small reason of why I do my best not to support any institution that sponsors ex rugby players or any persons that does not need a free entry to an event. I am disgusted at the amount of money big businesses spend to keep their wealthy clients happy. They certainly won't be using any of my hard earned money. The poor feed the rich. It is a dirty circle that the wealthy enjoy. Them sponsoring you means they now need to find your entry fee in other avenues in order for the race to be highly profitable. I am certainly not against you or your cause. I just find the whole thing a bit sickening. Again... Good luck and enjoy. If nothing else I will enjoy watching your dot. 

40 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

I am disgusted at the amount of money big businesses spend to keep their wealthy clients happy. They certainly won't be using any of my hard earned money. 

Do you keep your money under your mattress?

1 hour ago, Lynskey said:

Sir I am not attacking anyone on a personal level. I just personally do not see any value here. Good luck by the way. This is a small reason of why I do my best not to support any institution that sponsors ex rugby players or any persons that does not need a free entry to an event. I am disgusted at the amount of money big businesses spend to keep their wealthy clients happy. They certainly won't be using any of my hard earned money. The poor feed the rich. It is a dirty circle that the wealthy enjoy. Them sponsoring you means they now need to find your entry fee in other avenues in order for the race to be highly profitable. I am certainly not against you or your cause. I just find the whole thing a bit sickening. Again... Good luck and enjoy. If nothing else I will enjoy watching your dot. 

Erm ... you do realise that the SPCA is a charity. For animals. And that the SPCA didn't give gemmerbal as much as a cent (or a cat) towards his selfless campaign to help them?

Gemmerbal simply stated that all the costs towards him riding the Munga – that's entry fee, (branded?) kit, spares, food ... everything – is paid out of his own pocket. Whatever awareness he raises, and whatever donations are made go directly – and crucially every cent of it – to the SPCA.

So what have you done lately to help the helpless (or unfortunate)? 😶

I see there are a few people riding to the start these days from Cape Town and the number seems to be growing. I think one or two contenders are also riding the up leg again this year.

Edited by Dicky DQ

1 hour ago, Lynskey said:

Hey @Lynskey i didnt take any offence, no worries. I just wanted to give my own account of things, just for some balance so no issues from my side my fellow hubber. 

Enjoy the dot watching, my friends are still upset with me over my 11h stay over last year at Britstown that caused some of them to have mild heart attacks… 🤣

Edited by gemmerbal

49 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I very much doubt your "almost no logistics" statement above.

I don't know how anyone can make that statement if they know anything about the Munga. Unless they are confusing it with self-supported races like Rhino Run or Sedgefield500. Tonnes of logistics involved. Stocking those remote WP 24 hours a day, for example. Luxurious guesthouse sleepovers in pristine white bedding at the RVs, should you be the sort to take advantage of such.