The Munga 2023

JohanDiv

I used to think the same, and I unfortunately still can't manage to fork out R30k to do this (even though I desperately want to). Having done the Grit Cradle and knowing the company and rep that was doing the RV and WP logistics for that, I can tell you it's no small feat. It was a mammoth task coordinating sleeping arrangements, sustenance, safety, medics etc. and that's a 500km circular loop. 

Considering the full fat Munga is a 1100km one-way ride, it makes the logistics much harder. This isn't a CTCT water table with a few cups of coke and maybe an energy bar if you're early enough. There is a mountain of food, and multiple food options, at every WP and RV, as well as tents, bedding, medical supplies. All of which are expected to operate continuously for at least 3 days with people literally arriving and leaving constantly at any possible hour. Multiple full-time medical vehicles patrolling the route.

You're also splitting this cost between a very small number of entrants (~120), so the per-person cost skyrockets. Sure, I think they must be making some money out of this, but having dipped my toe into Munga water I can confidently assume that they aren't raking in 60% margins you might think they are.

Considering they only have 3/4 events a year and it takes a team of people to arrange it, and the fact that this is as niche and boutique as something like the Epic without the notoriety and people-draw that has, the entry price makes sense.

On topic, best of luck to all of the riders, One day I'll  hopefully be in Bloem alongside you nervously kakking myself for what lies ahead. Just keep moving, keep the pedals turning, and take the time to have this experience saturate you to the core as I know it will.

Edited by TyronLab

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, binxc said:

I don't know how anyone can make that statement if they know anything about the Munga. Unless they are confusing it with self-supported races like Rhino Run or Sedgefield500. Tonnes of logistics involved. Stocking those remote WP 24 hours a day, for example. Luxurious guesthouse sleepovers in pristine white bedding at the RVs, should you be the sort to take advantage of such. 

It runs pretty much parallel to the N1 for most of the way. I remember thinking how clever it was initially that it's 'remote' but also never far from the N1.

It does make logistics a whole lot easier than say, RASA. 

The race is cleverly laid out and the riders are very well looked after for something billed 'The toughest race on earth'

I would love to give it a bash on my BMX. I'm just too poor to afford an entry!

Agree.

I get this close to leaving all online forums almost daily due to people having opinions that they can’t just keep to themselves. 

Just. Be. Lekker. 

16 minutes ago, LarryMTB said:

At last a comment I support on this thread…

someone touch you on your munga, tough guy?

back to the race, anyone been on Ouberg pass recently? did it survive the wet and wild winter we had?

other route change is that bainskloof is back (might have been last year already actually, 2023 has flown for me!)

I'd also be keen to mount an attempt on the munga before I'm too old for this sort of mularkey - but as noted - 30k is (another) chunk of change to blow on this cycling addiction / obsession / hobby.

Memento mori --- maybe I'll start saving.

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

someone touch you on your munga, tough guy?

back to the race, anyone been on Ouberg pass recently? did it survive the wet and wild winter we had?

other route change is that bainskloof is back (might have been last year already actually, 2023 has flown for me!)

😘

3 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

Agree.

I get this close to leaving all online forums almost daily due to people having opinions that they can’t just keep to themselves. 

Just. Be. Lekker. 

Life would be very boring if we agreed on everything.

If you feel so strongly about it, then share your thoughts with us. Add to the conversation. You might even be able to turn some people. Opinions will be hardcore on this one, was the case from the moment the million dollar prize money announced it. If I'm not mistaken people even get Munga tattoos now. 

4 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I'd also be keen to mount an attempt on the munga before I'm too old for this sort of mularkey - but as noted - 30k is (another) chunk of change to blow on this cycling addiction / obsession / hobby.

Memento mori --- maybe I'll start saving.

it's actually R35k!

originally entry was 10 000$, and if my goggling is correct this is now the 10th one (first in 2014).

https://marathonmtb.com/2014/06/09/the-munga-confirms-prize-money/

5 hours ago, Dappere said:

Perhaps also a good place to keep some of your comments.

You are right. Spot on. I left the hub once before and see it is time again to part ways here. I will keep my opinions and life's journey to myself. You Sir have reminded me of the reason I left last time. Your opinion is way more valuable. Thank you for keeping me in check.

3 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

no no, we dont do that here

Ooooops, sorry .... my bad .... I will go sit in the corner ..... :P