The Munga 2023

JohanDiv

7 hours ago, tinmug said:

No shame at all pulling out: heck, you made it to the start and a long way down the trail, which s a LOT more than the rest of us can achieve. Hats off, and better fortunes next year (and @gemmerbal good on you for raising some much needed funds for the critters 👏).

🫡

Thank you very much for your kind words. Failure is not something that i accept very easily and having to accept failure in this years campaign was definitely one of the most challenging things in my life. Ive posted a very raw account of my experience on insta, unfiltered. It is what it is, not succeeding means failure, no matter how you dress it up. 

Appreciate all of your support immensely. ❤️

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

Thank you very much for your kind words. Failure is not something that i accept very easily and having to accept failure in this years campaign was definitely one of the most challenging things in my life. Ive posted a very raw account of my experience on insta, unfiltered. It is what it is, not succeeding means failure, no matter how you dress it up. 

You set out to raise money for the SPCA. 

You raised money for the SPCA.

Mission objective accomplished.

... then there is Munga 2024 for the other bit. Something to look forward to! 🤙

19 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

@gemmerbalBeen thinking about whether I agree that not succeeding means failure and still haven't decided.

But reading about your adventure inspired me to emulate you. I'm not ready for the munga but I've entered the munga grit tankwa in April and going to use it to try raise some money for TEARS animal sanctuary i Masiphumelele on the given gain platform. 

When I grow up I wanna be like @gemmerbal

20 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

What is your Instagram name?

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

@gemmerbalBeen thinking about whether I agree that not succeeding means failure and still haven't decided.

But reading about your adventure inspired me to emulate you. I'm not ready for the munga but I've entered the munga grit tankwa in April and going to use it to try raise some money for TEARS animal sanctuary i Masiphumelele on the given gain platform. 

When I grow up I wanna be like @gemmerbal

Its just difficult for me to come to terms with the personal failure of not completing an event that i have decided to partake in. But in the grand scheme of things, the fundraiser was (probably) a success because we managed to raise over R60k the last time i checked. So maybe i just have to get over myself i suppose. 

Good luck with your Grit effort! Im happy to share the little bit of experience ive gained over 1 successful and 1 failed Munga effort. Drop me a message any time! 💪

11 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

Its just difficult for me to come to terms with the personal failure of not completing an event that i have decided to partake in. But in the grand scheme of things, the fundraiser was (probably) a success because we managed to raise over R60k the last time i checked. So maybe i just have to get over myself i suppose. 

Good luck with your Grit effort! Im happy to share the little bit of experience ive gained over 1 successful and 1 failed Munga effort. Drop me a message any time! 💪

Scratching (sounds better than quitting) when your body is giving you all the signals that you should takes more will power and integrity than pushing through and very possibly causing permanent damage to your body (and possibly still not finishing).

I am the same as you, I hate not finishing something I've started, but you can be proud of what you achieved. Its just that on the day, under those conditions, your body decided its enough.

I look forward to your race report and to following your dot again next year.

41 minutes ago, Roul said:

image.png.55541060f6f159781bdcf84fbeb1a7ee.pngOnly Vernon Rudman at risk currently.

He is a bit further ahead now but still has that last climb!
Much respect to the heavier guys (I used to be one myself) that needs to haul their bodies and gear up steep climbs. And the back trackers normally have much more things on them/their bike than the fast guys. Comparing Drikus to Jannie here, there must be somewhere around 50kg difference here! 

It seems that this year by the look of things there will be no last minute finishers. Vernon who is the last person still officially in the race with 20km's to go will finish with some time to spare.

Big Kudo's to the Big Guy Jannie Du Plessis on finishing the race (alhough by the time of this post not formally finished) it is one amazing achievement.

31 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

He is a bit further ahead now but still has that last climb!
Much respect to the heavier guys (I used to be one myself) that needs to haul their bodies and gear up steep climbs. And the back trackers normally have much more things on them/their bike than the fast guys. Comparing Drikus to Jannie here, there must be somewhere around 50kg difference here! 

Don't think the issue is the hills, it's a pretty flat race. but bigger bodies produce more heat relatively, and that's what klaps you.

45 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Scratching (sounds better than quitting) when your body is giving you all the signals that you should takes more will power and integrity than pushing through and very possibly causing permanent damage to your body (and possibly still not finishing).

I am the same as you, I hate not finishing something I've started, but you can be proud of what you achieved. Its just that on the day, under those conditions, your body decided its enough.

I look forward to your race report and to following your dot again next year.

Loads of solid people scratch in this endeavour. Hansie and Riccardo both been top5 before and pulled the plug. No shame in deciding that riding into a december headwind all day on a 50'C karoo stofpad is a crap idea. at the end of the day you're taking leave to go on "a holiday", life is to short to battle with type 3 fun.

5 minutes ago, JJDT said:

It seems that this year by the look of things there will be no last minute finishers. Vernon who is the last person still officially in the race with 20km's to go will finish with some time to spare.

Big Kudo's to the Big Guy Jannie Du Plessis on finishing the race (alhough by the time of this post not formally finished) it is one amazing achievement.

we have @NixM coming in hot before then!

Stuart Tanner kept going down the pass but noticed his whoopsie

Gemmerbal

Hou jou kop hoog ou maat.. Om iets soos die Munga aan te vat om geld vir diere in te saamel is apsoluut great.

Onthou elke klein biekie gled maak a groot verskil vir die SPCA.

Mense wat nog nie die Munga aangevat het nie het geen idee hoe tough dit is nie. Ek onthou die sand/corrigations vir myle.Ek onthou hoe jy met jouself praat--wat maak ek hier!!!

Kudos vir jou effords rus lekker ..Eerder jou gesondheid eerste

Huge respect to all the riders, finishers or not! Obviously a huge achievement to those who did.

The leader coming in under the 48 hour mark & others not that much more - surely superhuman!!

Once all the pain subsides & circulation is in good working order again, the smile on the face will remain! Well done

Looks like Vernon Rudman is in.. in the end making that call to leave Liza behind made the difference in making the cut-off in time! Well done to all!!