Open Letter To Strava

Kom

24 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I got this click bait on my feed, so dramatic.

I really like strava,Β  all the negatives can be controlled. As a tech companyΒ  they have bigger issues, like actually making money for shareholders. I'm happy to pay subscription, even if I don't use the premium features much.

If it shutdown tomorrow it would be a big loss.

πŸ’― Agree, other apps simply haven't grabbed attention like Strava the OG has πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ŠπŸΌ

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are at least two sides to strava-the social aspect (group rides, pictures, kudos, etc)

There is then the fitness/health side where you can analyse your activity, heart rate, effort, etc (which is mostly under the paid option)

Β 

Anyone with a modern Garmin has access to the same, if not better data in Garmin connect. The paid strava makes sense for those people who actually use the strava app to record activities, or have a lesser gps watch/headunit

On 1/4/2024 at 11:54 PM, AntVanR said:

Good laugh, and yet I still love hitting a fave segment with horns up if the conditions are good to see if there's any silverware waiting for me after the ride.Β 

Β 

Zone 2 with the missus πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ we've all been there.....some lame excuse as an activity header because well, we were actually not firing on all 6 cylinders and the NOS tank was empty πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Β 

Capture1.PNG

On 1/8/2024 at 8:31 AM, Roul said:

Haven't read through everything said, but will also consider leaving Strava if it gets too much.

Β 

For now, I wonder the impact of this will be long-term:
https://press.strava.com/articles/strava-appoints-google-executive-michael-martin-as-ceo

interesting to read in that article that strava has been profitable for the past four years. Seems like the move to restrict non subscribers access to some features a few years back has paid off.Β 
Β 
Hopefully he’ll not be pushing to sell ads and our personal data Google styleΒ 

Β 

On 1/4/2024 at 5:43 AM, Robbie Stewart said:

I only use Strava for one purpose and that is to keep track of my rides for service intervals. I like to know stats on hours ridden between services so that I can keep the bike in top shape for those parts you can't visually inspect such as suspension etc. Then I get a personal kick on seeing how much elevation gain I managed in a year. The rest is not really important enough for me to want to have the paid version.

Same here. My Garmin account is linked with my strava which is then linked to Pro bike Garage which is a cool little app that helps me keep track of km on all my stuff and service intervals. Can't remember the last time I actually opened Strava.

2 hours ago, Pieter1 said:

Same here. My Garmin account is linked with my strava which is then linked to Pro bike Garage which is a cool little app that helps me keep track of km on all my stuff and service intervals. Can't remember the last time I actually opened Strava.

Β 

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This is a must have app. I've been using it for quite some time.Β 

Thanks for the recommendation, I use to use Hubtiger but they seem to have fallen of the edge of the earth.

7 minutes ago, Roul said:

Β 

Thanks for the recommendation, I use to use Hubtiger but they seem to have fallen of the edge of the earth.

You can set components and service intervals, and it records your metrics from Strava to update you when services are due. It also gives notifications if enabled.

Screenshot_2024-01-17-08-12-06-239_com.probikegarage_app.png.eea3dbf548ad42309add401831d14fc8.pngScreenshot_2024-01-17-08-12-50-076_com.probikegarage_app.png.65b23ad8090fc88a16eb53323a02fa72.png

Roadie problems.... 😜

Before I get dragged to the gallows with the sound of a mob of cleats hitting the cobbles... herewith the obligatory "No offence/just kidding" πŸ˜…

In all honesty though, this seems to me like it was written by someone who doesn't have enough real world problems... too worried about their pronouns and having a safe space in life, taking a jab at a tool (which you don't have to use if you don't like it), when the people you ride with/riding culture is the issue.

The fact that she just has to throw out the "I've been one of the 73% of woman who have experienced violence on the internet" line, paints a terrible picture of her persona...Β 

Build a bridge and get over it... if you don't like the way things are, set your profile to private, and ride for your own progress tracking, and if everyone you ride with are KOM-chasing elitists, find other people to ride or ride solo (if safe to do so)...

Edited by 440MTB

37 minutes ago, 440MTB said:

Roadie problems.... 😜

Before I get dragged to the gallows with the sound of a mob of cleats hitting the cobbles... herewith the obligatory "No offence/just kidding" πŸ˜…

In all honesty though, this seems to me like it was written by someone who doesn't have enough real world problems... too worried about their pronouns and having a safe space in life, taking a jab at a tool (which you don't have to use if you don't like it), when the people you ride with/riding culture is the issue.

The fact that she just has to throw out the "I've been one of the 73% of woman who have experienced violence on the internet" line, paints a terrible picture of her persona...Β 

Build a bridge and get over it... if you don't like the way things are, set your profile to private, and ride for your own progress tracking, and if everyone you ride with are KOM-chasing elitists, find other people to ride or ride solo (if safe to do so)...

Without wanting to get into a debate or a fight, these statements form a pretty big part of the problem.

I'm no fan of the Open Letter to STRAVA, but answer me this, where IS it safe for women to ride alone? Then tell me WHY the answer is nowhere.

This will then lead to the next piece of the puzzle; by highlighting the statistic, a rather alarming one, about on-line abuse/unsolicited internet attacks that women are subjected to, how does that paint a terrible picture of her persona?

Women shouldn't need to be subjected to that. It's disgusting.Β 

Mindset and acceptance is powerful, and realising when you yourself form part of the problem is the only way we can give maybe some women a better chance at a better experience.

regarding the pro-noun comment. I don't know if you've ever known anyone to come out as gay later on in life or re-evaluate their sexuality and identity, but seeing some people I know genuinely happy for the first time in forever has far outweighed any personal stigma or historical prejudice I have lurking in my ageing brain. Happiness and acceptance are beautifulΒ 

Β 

13 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Without wanting to get into a debate or a fight, these statements form a pretty big part of the problem.

I'm no fan of the Open Letter to STRAVA, but answer me this, where IS it safe for women to ride alone? Then tell me WHY the answer is nowhere.

This will then lead to the next piece of the puzzle; by highlighting the statistic, a rather alarming one, about on-line abuse/unsolicited internet attacks that women are subjected to, how does that paint a terrible picture of her persona?

Women shouldn't need to be subjected to that. It's disgusting.Β 

Mindset and acceptance is powerful, and realising when you yourself form part of the problem is the only way we can give maybe some women a better chance at a better experience.

regarding the pro-noun comment. I don't know if you've ever known anyone to come out as gay later on in life or re-evaluate their sexuality and identity, but seeing some people I know genuinely happy for the first time in forever has far outweighed any personal stigma or historical prejudice I have lurking in my ageing brain. Happiness and acceptance are beautifulΒ 

Β 

Well said!! πŸ‘Β 

it’s not 73 percent of women, please re read the letter with understanding.Β 
Β 

like all things in life it can be good or bad and strava is nothing but a tool. If you get so enveloped by it that being a local legend or or or or is important then well, you gone overboard. Simple.Β 
Β 

and the little line about the mister going for a slower ride with the missus. Interesting insight that… 

I use strava, but being a middle aged , some say old, fart with about as much athletic ability as a slow slug and a reasonably happy disposition I set all my settings to private and I don’t really care about the public settings as I don’t need that validation. And I paid for a year which was about 4 pounds a month. Can’t buy a latte for that.Β