the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

Anyone have the full Fini story today? They were down 1 minute and then it all went sideways .. .

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Please keep us posted about the longevity of that belt.

BMW motorcycles have stayed away from chains as much as possible.  Drive shafts on the larger bikes, and belt drive when the 650GS was first launched.  The Dakar 650GS came out with a chain.  And when people started riding the normal 650GS off road BMW stopped using the belt drive, and switched to chain drive.

Their "promotional garble" was that the belt showed premature wear and tear off road, and that the chain drive was more reliable off road.

Some 25 years later and now MTB's go belt drive .... 

Unfortunately not someone who rides a lot so I doubt wear will be an issue ... sorry Chris, must be honest I'd also be interested. 

Meanwhile:

SHORTENING OF STAGE 4

Due to extreme heat tomorrow, Stage 4 will be shortened 

- 88 km reduced to 73 km
- Climbing 3,000m reduced to 2,550m
- First start time remains at 07.00.  
- Spectator points remain as they were
- Note change in location of WPs and addition of a Hydro point  
- Note updated cut off times and locations

Edited by 'Dale

23 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Meanwhile:

SHORTENING OF STAGE 4

- 88 km reduced to 73 km

Where did you see this?

46 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Meanwhile:

SHORTENING OF STAGE 4

- 88 km reduced to 73 km

eish here we go again taming the untamed

7 hours ago, Skubarra said:

But where are you actually saving money? Food is contracted out so thats the contractor's profit/loss, tents you already have, venue is a field.. Not sure on what you can meaningful save on by allowing in your planning for competitors to drop out?

Less workers - disinfectants - toilet paper needed to keep all those portaloos clean 😎

I fear the damage is already done. The medics tent was a beehive of activity today. Lots of drips administered. Has the cut off time been retained or shortened?

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Please keep us posted about the longevity of that belt.

BMW motorcycles have stayed away from chains as much as possible.  Drive shafts on the larger bikes, and belt drive when the 650GS was first launched.  The Dakar 650GS came out with a chain.  And when people started riding the normal 650GS off road BMW stopped using the belt drive, and switched to chain drive.

Their "promotional garble" was that the belt showed premature wear and tear off road, and that the chain drive was more reliable off road.

Some 25 years later and now MTB's go belt drive .... 

Belt drive is the thing here in the NL , eBikes, commuters and daily ride bicycles mainly that rack up kms like nobody's business. Maintenance plans also recommend belt driven bikes - terrain is as flat as the earth 🤌🏼 with rain being the biggest drama 

Really enjoying the daily highlights from Craig Kolesky's perspective. So much hike-a-bike, I guess that's one thing you take for granted watching the pros. They literally ride over everything and anything.

Sad to see all the litter along the route. 🙈

Well is not the sponsors or the organizers fault or duty to know who is prepared to ride (not race) the Epic. Most had at least a year to prepare if you don't cut it so be it. Plenty of participation events all over the world to ride in. If they save money or not is irrelevant, all that stuff is already bought, if you want to stay in a AirBnb or caravan or whatever is your choice.  Imagine the outcry if they were to run out of food for lunch or dinner. 

I know of people that have failed at three attempts at the race, whos fault is that.  i'll be back next year. 

Edited by TeamBaja

14 hours ago, Scott roy said:

image.jpeg.b1d333d73de08c844dd6bd67331ac05f.jpegimage.jpeg.090bfe8c8c3e5fe34a96588b8fe48dd5.jpegfunny ,I must have missed shimano’s latest groupset and brake launch with major patent infringements

Fair enough - was trying to see last few days after your comment. 

Just bad luck it seems. 

How strong is Matt Beers. Solo rider taking on the teams. Maybe he should pair up with Kegan next year 

19 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

On that’s just horrible. I’ve never had good life out of their chains. One lasted 500km

Taya chains are 50% worn on a Park gauge when you fit them or at least the one I had was. KMC are just way better.