Deristricted E Bikes

The itch

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Different strokes for different folkes ....

More to the point - the ride of the day has a huge impact on when, and how often, you use higher power settings on an ebike.

For the purpose of illustration:

- 250W maximum assist

- 500W.h battery

Now if you truly used full boost then you will drain the battery in 2 hours (seriously over simplified, but close enough for this purpose)

Now if you are doing a few laps of a trail and you USE your ebike as a "chair lift", hey why not use the boost ?  If it is the fun factor that gets you to feel young, GO FOR IT !

Doing a 50km MTB ride the game changes totally.  Now battery conservation has to be part of your thinking ..... Are you keeping the juice for the head wind, or are you keeping it for a particular climb ?  Rest of the time you are going to be in Eco-mode.

Long rides on tar .... whole different approach.  You only use the boost when absolutely needed.

Road racing, yet another approach.  I take a spare battery, and I know just how hard I can push it to complete the route as fast as possible ... but the strategy changes fast if the wind comes into play.  Also something which often happen in races - I use a slightly higher power setting, thus getting up to speed quicker, and maintaining speed up slight inclines better.  BUT, due to the pace of these events I spend a LOT of the flats above the speed-assist limiter, thus not using any battery for long stretches ... suddenly a long climb and I use a higher assist level and can see the battery dropping faster .... it becomes a little mind game to see just how hard you can push it, and not drag a lead sled back the last 10 km ....

A lot more to it than just up the power and GO .....  the large number of ebikes running out of juice on the CTCT confirms this.

And YES - I have also maxed the motor to get a KOM on a hill climb.  Vines and Views 2023 I put in the hours and worked towards the Skaapkop hillclimb.  On the day I stretched my first battery as far as possible, swopping out 10km before the hill climb.  Last 3km I sat up and slowed down, getting my breathing and heart rate down. 50m before the climb it was FULL BLAST !!  e-bike in full turbo, and my in max heart rate as well !!  I blasted up there and got the KOM..... well, until two school kids blasted the field off the mountain 🤣  IF I do V&V2024 I most certainly WILL practice even harder, and try to beat MY OWN time.   (my time was logged as an ebike before the prize giving)

Presumably an ebike KOM? 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, BigDL said:

Presumably an ebike KOM? 

Initially not :P

I immediately went to the organiser and told him what I did - I NEVER intended to steal the KOM from a normal bike.  

I suggested that we keep it as is, then he can surprise the second place person with the prize.

5 minutes later the two kids pipped me, so it was mute and I changed to e-bike.

PS - I have yet to find a way to AUTO upload as an ebike ride.  You need to go back each time to change it

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

I immediately went to the organiser and told him what I did - I NEVER intended to steal the KOM from a normal bike.  

I suggested that we keep it as is, then he can surprise the second place person with the prize.

PS - I have yet to find a way to AUTO upload as an ebike ride.  You need to go back each time to change it

You just go edit your gear (bike).  Change the default sport to ebike.

Edited by Super Sywurm

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Try ActivityFix https://www.activityfix.com/ you can create rules based on each bike and will auto change accordingly and automatically.  See GPLama review

2 hours ago, BigDL said:

Presumably an ebike KOM? 

@BigDL Posting for the sake of Posting.

MEE TOO 

3 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

You just go edit your gear (bike).  Change the default sport to ebike.

Thank very much 👍

Bikes all updated

On 2/7/2024 at 2:13 PM, ChrisF said:

Hiehie ....

if you have the need for adrenaline then you know where to get your 45km/h MTB ..... pun intended ....

PS - The European and our SANS rules does NOT distinguish between types of pedal assist ebikes - 250W maximum assist, and 25km/h maximum assist speed.

My Amish bike also happens to be of the Adrenaline kind....it's Sister (ebikes) are something special.....

Edited by love2fly

11 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Pray elaborate or is there some kind of cool ebike code I am not aware of? I ride with some of these guys (and I ride a dirt bike) so I just cannot see the point of riding an ebike on max power up non-technical single track / jeep track; the novelty wears off quickly as there is (IMHO) little skill just pedaling.

So do you do hard enduro on the dirt bike or not? Cause honestly, if it’s not so tech that you spend more time pushing and carrying your dirt bike then what is the point?

On 2/9/2024 at 7:24 PM, thebob said:

So do you do hard enduro on the dirt bike or not? Cause honestly, if it’s not so tech that you spend more time pushing and carrying your dirt bike then what is the point?

You kidding right?  Have a look at the daily distances in the Roof and you need a little motor to get there. Gaps are opened by skill then stamina and strength, not just motor and, unless you are in the top 30 or so or competing with friends the only relevant time is the cut off time. Hence my not really getting an ebike KOM on non-technical uphills.  Just because I don't get it doesn't mean it's at all "wrong", everyone enjoys different challenges.

But I sense we are talking past each other.

14 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Just because I don't get it doesn't mean it's at all "wrong", everyone enjoys different challenges.

Exactly. Some people just want to go fast under their own steam, some want to die in the tech and some want the wind in their hair with little effort

On 2/9/2024 at 12:45 PM, ChrisF said:

And YES - I have also maxed the motor to get a KOM on a hill climb.  Vines and Views 2023 I put in the hours and worked towards the Skaapkop hillclimb.  On the day I stretched my first battery as far as possible, swopping out 10km before the hill climb.  Last 3km I sat up and slowed down, getting my breathing and heart rate down. 50m before the climb it was FULL BLAST !!  e-bike in full turbo, and my in max heart rate as well !!  I blasted up there and got the KOM..... well, until two school kids blasted the field off the mountain 🤣  IF I do V&V2024 I most certainly WILL practice even harder, and try to beat MY OWN time.   (my time was logged as an ebike before the prize giving)

'...put in the hours and worked... then swapped batteries '

LOL hilarious 

I overheard some guys discussing ebikes yesterday .... according to them there are 2 kinds of riders

The first get one simply so that they CAN ride, in this case Amish bikes makes it to uncomfortable or painful to be able to enjoy their ride

The second are those who use them to be able to ride FASTER than they are able to given their fitness level (commitment) and or strength/genetic make up

Interesting perspective  to me anyway

20 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I overheard some guys discussing ebikes yesterday .... according to them there are 2 kinds of riders

The first get one simply so that they CAN ride, in this case Amish bikes makes it to uncomfortable or painful to be able to enjoy their ride

The second are those who use them to be able to ride FASTER than they are able to given their fitness level (commitment) and or strength/genetic make up

Interesting perspective  to me anyway

And sadly THIS is what a lot of people think.

There are SO many more reasons why people get e-bikes.

PS - my neighbour got one for the first reason you mentioned .... and a few months later is yet to ride it ....

On 2/7/2024 at 3:51 PM, sirmoun10goat said:

Who cares if the bike is chipped? Battery size is the issue. A chipped bike vs a standard bike on a 500w battery both have the same power to deploy over the same distance. 

A bigger battery or spare battery is a bigger benefit. 

Set a maximum weight for the battery (or batteries if spares are used). No recharging en-route.

On 2/7/2024 at 1:54 PM, Iron said:

E-Bikes are not going away so the lets just incorporate them .

The solution is simply give them their own class behind the " std " bikes and in that class they have two batches, Stock  UCI regulated bikes and "OPEN" class where you can do what you like to your e-bike.

Same argument...

Dopers are not going away so the lets just incorporate them .

The solution is simply give them their own class behind the " clean " riders and in that class they have two batches, Stock  UCI regulated PEDS and "OPEN" class where you can inject what you like into your body.

For the record, I've always thought there should be 2 racing classes, natural and "enhanced"! 🤪😉🤣

Edit: Silly face emoticons to show tone...

Edited by Stretched@Birth