Zwift Academy 2024

gerriemtb

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Andymann said:

So last year my Wife made it into the last 10 of the Zwift Academy Tri and we were pretty sure she stood a good shot of making it into the team based on what we thought were what they were looking for - everyday people who were good enough to race in KONA but had never had the opportunity to be coached correctly.

The final ladies that were selected were all semi-pro, were all already sponsored and I think if I recall 2 had already raced at KONA and won their Age groups. What they weren't were amateurs that had never been offered an opportunity.

ZA is marketed as an avenue for everyday people who are good enough to make it to a pro team, but really everyday people don't stand a chance - I think they know from the start who they want.

ZA Tri was cancelled for this year, and I see the ZA Run team was also not announced.

I don't know hey. This year's contestants look pretty normal to me. The one guy works in a supermarket, the one girl is on the trading floor, and the Slovenian is doing her PhD! Her amateur palmares are impressive though. 

Am I the only one struggling to understand Maddie's accent? She doesn't even sound like a Saffa to me, which is a tad disappointing. Even Byron Munton, who represented SA in the last ZA had the typical Saffa accent.  

2 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Am I the only one struggling to understand Maddie's accent? She doesn't even sound like a Saffa to me, which is a tad disappointing. Even Byron Munton, who represented SA in the last ZA had the typical Saffa accent.  

She spent the last 2 years training at the World Cycling Centre in Switzerland. Tailoring your accent so you can be understood by multiple nationalities and trying to clip the rolling of words the way South Africans do, becomes a habit I suppose. 

Listen to the Main Cheese... he has a Frenchikaans, or is it a Spanglish accent, having spent his time in Andorra.

17 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Listen to the Main Cheese... he has a Frenchikaans, or is it a Spanglish accent, having spent his time in Andorra.

i think he spent a lot of time based in italy initially, hence Luigi Formaggio

Edited by Shebeen

You should put a spoiler alert as the finale only aired late last night. If anyone out riding this morning hasn’t seen it.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

You should put a spoiler alert as the finale only aired late last night. If anyone out riding this morning hasn’t seen it.

Done as best I can, thanks for the suggestion! Although they should probably be watching it first when they get home before clicking on a forum about it 😝  but we all know how enticing the hub can be… 

Edited by Spookie

I am so happy Maddie won. She deserved!! As to her accent- there are still definite strains of a Bloem girl.

As for the men. The oke who pushed the biggest watts, thought that automatically bought him the win. How miffed was he, when found out that was not the case. Interesting.

23 minutes ago, Harryn said:

As for the men. The oke who pushed the biggest watts, thought that automatically bought him the win. How miffed was he, when found out that was not the case. Interesting.

Wonder if he knows that the blue in the German flag represents humour.

10 hours ago, Harryn said:

How miffed was he, when found out that was not the case. Interesting.

He proved that they were right to kick him out, he does not understand that being a pro cyclist is also doing what you're told, and not telling your superiors that they make "stupid decisions"

Edited by Jbr