Strategies for dealing with cramps and preventing them

Remington

I know this subject has been discussed many times. I am curious what strategies you follow when it comes to getting cramps. The 50 km mark is where my cramps begin.

I have tried 32GI cramp assault, rehidrate in my water, preloading with electrolytes the day before. I have also tried the salty snack route. I seem fine till about the 50km mark and then it starts. A suggestion from a friend was to try the 32GI rehydrate tablets.

Another friend pointed out that it also could be conditioning. I'm not conditioned enough and need to slowly increase my exertion and distances. I have thought about salt tablets but not many people recommend it. I only ride a mountain bike and I usually try do a lot of elevation rides.

Any suggestions would help a lot which I can experiment with to resolve this issue

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My strategy is more long-term than just treating cramps during rides.

I cut gluten (bread), alcohol (sad but true) and processed meat and increased my vegetable and salad intake.

Taking Slow Mag before my rides seems to help as well.

Used to cramp badly at anything over 70km... only remedy for has been to just keep riding past that point and then beyond the next point.... ie go'ol T.i.t..S

ow not cramping at all ... including 150km+ rides

I have two takes on this. 

One, which is usually the case, is you aren't fit enough for the effort you're putting out, so you basically go until you blow. 

The other involves what you eat in tandem with the above.

As an anecdote, I know I can run 10km comfortably in 40 minutes. If I decide to run the same 10km route in 33 minutes, there is a very real chance my hamstrings or inside quad will twinge during the run and cramp afterwards.

The sustainable effort vs above threshold is usually what causes the cramps in shorter things.

Longer things it can start being dehydration, required salt etc, but the short stuff as per your examples it's training and/or lack of fitness.

The science guys will start going into sodium levels and all sorts of glucose inputs etc but in reality you're over exerting yourself for your fitness level 

These are all solid points that you guys laid out. I rarely drink alcohol. As for the red meat we have cut down immensely and consume more legumes and white meat such as fish and chicken. but that was just for weight loss. Lighter on the bike the easier the hills. 

I will try the magnesium and see if helps but I also agree with Jewbacca I tend to overdo it. I still think I can do things when I was 18 years old, but I have a good many years on that. The elevation gain on our ride yesterday was mapped at 2000m yesterday, but I bailed at 1400m. I think shorter rides on that same route may also be the key to my success and then increase my distance gradually until I can go the full distance. Funnily enough on our ride yesterday my wife was like iron. she just kept riding through those conditions. As she said to me some days, she is strong and other days I am strong.

For now, a 160km ride is out of my grasp. 

what I did not add in my original post was it was really hot and windy yesterday. Heat conditioning is also a challenge. I don't know of anyone who likes to ride in hot conditions unless they enjoy suffering more.

19 minutes ago, Remington said:

These are all solid points that you guys laid out. I rarely drink alcohol. As for the red meat we have cut down immensely and consume more legumes and white meat such as fish and chicken. but that was just for weight loss. Lighter on the bike the easier the hills. 

I will try the magnesium and see if helps but I also agree with Jewbacca I tend to overdo it. I still think I can do things when I was 18 years old, but I have a good many years on that. The elevation gain on our ride yesterday was mapped at 2000m yesterday, but I bailed at 1400m. I think shorter rides on that same route may also be the key to my success and then increase my distance gradually until I can go the full distance. Funnily enough on our ride yesterday my wife was like iron. she just kept riding through those conditions. As she said to me some days, she is strong and other days I am strong.

what I did not add in my original post was it was really hot and windy yesterday. Heat conditioning is also a challenge. I don't know of anyone who likes to ride in hot conditions unless they enjoy suffering more.

1400m over 50km is a lot of climbing..😳

2 hours ago, Remington said:

How often do you ride? And how long have you been riding?

Close to 3 years. 3 to 4 times per week. Average distance +- 40km Weekends longer rides. Mixed technical, trails or tar

I agree with earlier posts - cramping is usually caused when you push yourself (way) further, faster or more climbing than you've trained for. I've tried the cramp Eze and slowmag crap and the only thing I've found that works like a BOMB is chewing 3 or 4 Rennies. Sorts it very quickly.....you can eat the pie later....😁

I am not a cramp expert, but here is the process of elimination that sorted mine out. It includes most of the issues mentioned already in one bundle.

Its either fitness, hydration, electrolyte loss, nutrition, bike fit.

• I improved my fitness by riding more often. No fancy stuff just riding consistently and frequently.
  • Then I increased my fluids (water and carb mix) consumption to a 750ml bottle per hour during training rides.
  • I also add a high 5 zero electrolyte tab to my carb mix bottle. So thats one bottle with carb mix and high 5 zero and 1 bottle with just water.
  • I decreased my carbs per hour from 90g (thanks to GCN) to 60g after seeing a dietician. I stopped getting gut cramps and my performance improved because the weight dropped.
  • I also used to get cramps in my quads before I got a bike fit (I was overusing my quads because my saddle was to low).

I can now do really long hilly rides, in hot conditions, relatively fast without cramping.

Edited by Ncayi

35 minutes ago, Remington said:

Close to 3 years. 3 to 4 times per week. Average distance +- 40km Weekends longer rides. Mixed technical, trails or tar

You’re cycling for 3 years and still cramp after 50km? To me that’s a bike fit problem. Something ain’t right there mate. 

8 hours ago, guidodg said:

avoid animal protein where possible esp. red meat and dairy

Where does this come from ??? Curious to read your source ? I doubt it’s from a health or performance perspective and suspect it’s more lifestyle/ideology thing.

Although I wouldn't recommend smashing ribeye lunch and dinner every day, I wouldn't recommend anyone willing to improve in sports to not eating animal protein at all if anything I'd recommend lean meats (chicken, or even occasionally fillet) as a source of proteins and iron and most definitely low fat yogurt for recovery and to improve fitness over time.

It is a bit weird though that you're getting cramps with your training load of 40km 4 times a week after just 50km if the intensity stays the same, I would ask professionnals, either your fit is completely wrong, or your diet (or even possibly something with your health). It doesn't sound like something the hub can help you with

Edited by Jbr