Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I  have a CT cycle tour entry available for anyone that is looking. I had a break in and my bike was stolen.

Send me a pm if you interested or anyone that is looking for an entry. It's for the full 109km race.

Or is there a forum i can advertise it on.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Stevie G said:

I  have a CT cycle tour entry available for anyone that is looking. I had a break in and my bike was stolen.

Send me a pm if you interested or anyone that is looking for an entry. It's for the full 109km race.

Thanks

How tall are you?

1 hour ago, Stevie G said:

Thanks

Sorry to hear about the stolen bike.

I hope you are able to get a loaner and still salvage the ride. 

On 2/20/2024 at 4:16 PM, The Ouzo said:

IMG_0939.png.566ed2ddebe80db8590f0044cd294a1f.png

IMG_0940.png

Curious how this "Live Web Tracker" will work given "Estimated times will be provided on rider's current pace"?

I mean current pace varies a lot over the course given where you are (big climbs like Chappies, Suikerbossie), direction & strength of the wind etc. Unless there is a serious complex algorithm in there I would not be surprised if that tracker is complete rubbish.

2 hours ago, Stevie G said:

I'm about 1.65m

This might work for you?

BMX.jpg

Jokes aside, I definitely have a bike you can borrow. It might not be a race bike for a sub 3, but I ride it and average decent clicks around the peninsula

Edited by Jewbacca

On 2/20/2024 at 4:16 PM, The Ouzo said:

IMG_0939.png.566ed2ddebe80db8590f0044cd294a1f.png

IMG_0940.png

yet another mobile app, to install, give away kyc etc etc when a perfectly rendered web site would work.

3 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Curious how this "Live Web Tracker" will work given "Estimated times will be provided on rider's current pace"?

I mean current pace varies a lot over the course given where you are (big climbs like Chappies, Suikerbossie), direction & strength of the wind etc. Unless there is a serious complex algorithm in there I would not be surprised if that tracker is complete rubbish.

Can't see the point frankly. Most people will have cell phones and simply sharing location will give more accurate info. Or Garmin live track for those with watches / headunits.

During our night ride last night someone mention a "Argus MTB" race the week before CTCT.  Is this still a thing?  Cant seem to find anything about it online since about 2014 ....

If so where can I enter?

Will be doing my first CTCT on the 10th .... 😊

33 minutes ago, TheoG said:

During our night ride last night someone mention a "Argus MTB" race the week before CTCT.  Is this still a thing?  Cant seem to find anything about it online since about 2014 ....

If so where can I enter?

It hasn’t happened since 2020 when it took place in Banhoek. I haven’t seen any promotion of a Mtb race since. It’s used to be organised Dirtopia.

32 minutes ago, TheoG said:

If so where can I enter?

It's was a thing. Never did it for fear of killing the legs for the big day. As far as I know it's not available anymore.

My main thing with mass participation events on a mountain bike course is that you end up riding one long snake having to deal with regular stoppage due to bottlenecks when the unskilled meet technical terrain. Rather do the Hoogekraal Enduro the week after if you're able. It's not so techy and aimed at folks who are keen to find out what Enduro is all about.

44 minutes ago, TheoG said:

If so where can I enter?

I used to enjoy it. And a few months later you got a sweet little trophy saying you'd done both. These days I indulge myself in pretending to be a pro and spend a week trying to hold on to the open group at tour du cap and then make the ctct into stage 6. 

Also used to do the "double" with my training buddies. Never took it too seriously and just went out to enjoy it. Routes got a bit congested at places, but then we just slowed down and enjoyed the time spent together on our bikes, as we started and finished together, always with the lowest (slowest) seeded rider.

As a result, I have a few of those little trophy's floating around. 

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

If so where can I enter?

that  was started in the ARGUS heydays, mid/early 2000s i guess. 35k riders sold out in a week. so they tagged on the mtb a week before.

first few time it was based at Spier, then moved to Boschendal later.

it was superhyped up, which meant massive congestion in places, so was probably the biggest MTB race in the country with about 4 different distances.

I could see it working again with tygerberg mtb with a gravel version tagged on. the one upside is that it would empty the CT roads a bit the weekend before the August where the 2 weeks a year riders go see if the cobwebs on their bike are an issue.