Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

1 minute ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

I should probably add I am on a dual sus mtb with 2.4 tyres 😂

You would need to be an incredible athlete to get a sub 3 on that setup. In fact I would venture that it's impossible - gearing, rolling resistance, aerodynamics, acceleration, top speed all well short of what's needed

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

ebikes = don't go faster than 3:50

it's very clearly stated in the rules

image.png.a60e742e47dcf6a215683c29f944b92a.png

Here is the current list of naughty boys (and girls), who need to go sit in the corner and apologise!

Oh no!

I just cannot believe that they did this!

4 minutes ago, Mamil said:

You would need to be an incredible athlete to get a sub 3 on that setup. In fact I would venture that it's impossible - gearing, rolling resistance, aerodynamics, acceleration, top speed all well short of what's needed

I am aware will get something else, this is just what I used this weekend 😊

23 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

I am aware will get something else, this is just what I used this weekend 😊

Your profile pic was a bit of a giveaway 😂

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

Your profile pic was a bit of a giveaway 😂

Hehe, not my bike tho, I have a Titan Racing cypher bike. Never been on a road bike, I am afraid its going to be to hard XD

I struggle on a Hardtail 😂

2 hours ago, dexterdent said:

To get a sub-3, either be VERY fit, or get a great seeding (1A or better, not *that* hard if you do the PPA or 99er) and hope the weather plays along (some years there are 1000+ sub-3s and others <500).

I missed out this year by ~5m, but finished top20 in 1B and tried to spend some time (not a lot) in the wind to get the group average speed up a bit. I lost a full minute on the Chappies descent due to the wind, and there wasn't much group cohesion from there onwards. I keep telling myself I'm happy with the result, and I am, but it feels like unfinished business.

There were three major changes I made to go from a 3h30-3h45 rider to where I am now: Firstly, upped my training from 5 hours per week to 7-8 hours - zwift helped a lot. Secondly, get nutrition right with carbs while training and protein/carbs afterwards. Thirdly, I lost about 8kg's and now I like climbs.

Even if you get a great seeding, you still need to be very fit🤣

Anyone delved into the stats yet and compared to previous years? How many sub 3’s?

Seems like much less sub 3’s.

1 minute ago, Bub Marley said:

Anyone delved into the stats yet and compared to previous years? How many sub 3’s?

I was just wondering how long we'd have to wait for a box and whisker plot :)

@JM_NEL did you do the 99er one?

I was supporting riders in Noordhoek this year, at the base of Chappies and heard such a ridiculous story from the marshals.  Apparently there was a chap on an e-bike pushing riders up some of the climbs to book faster times.  They flagged him because it seemed like there was some sort of arrangement where he would come back to a specific spot and meet riders who I guess must have prearranged this.  Sounds like he did a bunch of trips for several riders.  Not sure of what the outcome was, but they were certainly looking for him

4 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

I was supporting riders in Noordhoek this year, at the base of Chappies and heard such a ridiculous story from the marshals.  Apparently there was a chap on an e-bike pushing riders up some of the climbs to book faster times.  They flagged him because it seemed like there was some sort of arrangement where he would come back to a specific spot and meet riders who I guess must have prearranged this.  Sounds like he did a bunch of trips for several riders.  Not sure of what the outcome was, but they were certainly looking for him

There was a guy on one of those electric one wheel things pushing people up suikerbossie too

hahahaha

16 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Looks like roughly 450 vs 550 last year despite more entrants. Wasn't an easy year to get a sub-3.

Negotiating the large @ and & bunches were tricky and required some luck as well.

16 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

11 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There was a guy on one of those electric one wheel things pushing people up suikerbossie too

hahahaha

This makes about as much sense to.me as the weight dopers on zwift.

Can't understand why anyone would want to do this. Surely it can't be to claim a sub 3 or sub 4? Why?

2 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Can't understand why anyone would want to do this. Surely it can't be to claim a sub 3 or sub 4? Why?

quite sad, really, but thats what bitcoin trading and crossfit will do to you - rots the brain!

Edited by PygaSchmyga

what sense of achievement do you get from cheating your way in a sub 3 🤣 I never understood this obsession for sub3s anyways, it's a race, not a TT, but anyways. Worst part of the story is that guy went down chappies during the race?  Sounds so dangerous he should be banned for life from any other race.

Edited by Jbr

23 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Weight watcher?

VID_20240310_080756_00_022_2024-03-10_17-06-26_screenshot.jpg

17 hours ago, capediver said:

Had a blast...up early bells to see my SIL off in 1A, followed in 3B, up front and no issues up onto the highway, great pace and bulleted down Hospital bend with lost of space! Went past a fallen guy at the end of Edinburgh Drive, hope he was OK...fantastic climb up the Hill! and dashed down M3, all very rosy until we left Lakeside to be greeted by a bugger of an Easterly, tough grind to Muizenburg then free -wheeling all the way to Simon's Town to meet the same Easterly as we left and started the climb to Smits in a bit of a gale! At the turn, the wind died and we flew down to Scarborough, Witsands and Ocean View, glorious, good waves with no-one out!!...

Rode through cramps to the bottom of Chappies..pickle juice I kid you not! Chappies climb was good fun, head and tail wind and then that weird headwind from the viewpoint to the first lefthand turn...

Suikerbossie was HOT and sticky and a bit quiet compared to previous years then the mad dash along the Atlantic seaboard to the finish....

The beer tent was heaving and everyone was full of smiles...a really great day out! Support along the way was awesome!

VID_20240310_073254_00_013_2024-03-10_19-48-21_screenshot.jpg

VID_20240310_074520_00_019_2024-03-10_17-02-13_screenshot.jpg

VID_20240310_080657_00_021_2024-03-10_19-40-14_screenshot.jpg

VID_20240310_080756_00_022_2024-03-10_17-06-26_screenshot.jpg

VID_20240310_082149_00_026_2024-03-10_19-41-10_screenshot.jpg

VID_20240310_084947_00_029_2024-03-10_19-41-39_screenshot.jpg

VID_20240310_090606_00_031_2024-03-10_19-44-40_screenshot.jpg

VID_20240310_093124_00_033_2024-03-10_19-38-14_screenshot.jpg

VID_20240310_103952_00_042_2024-03-10_19-46-50_screenshot.jpg

We'll done!