Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

Finished my 33rd “Argus” in one piece. 35th for my dad. Realised after just a few km the wind would play a serious role in the dynamics of the race. After the top of Edinburg hill as usual we formed a biggish group that was the 2nd group of 1D. No one wanted to help at all when it flattened out towards the end. I actually got a bit frustrated and my dad had to calm me down. At one stage I moved all the way over to the right and slowed down to like 25 but still everyone just sucked out wheel. Eventually after fish hoek the entire group decided to come passed. 
had 2 near misses with dogs. First was near camels rock somewhere, a couple with a big greyhound looking dog crossed the road in front of the group. Had to slam on brakes. Then down towards the township, there was a brak that wondered into the road but it dived back as soon as it got a fright. 
finished in 3h30m. All things considered, I’m happy. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Finished my 33rd “Argus” in one piece. 35th for my dad. Realised after just a few km the wind would play a serious role in the dynamics of the race. After the top of Edinburg hill as usual we formed a biggish group that was the 2nd group of 1D. No one wanted to help at all when it flattened out towards the end. I actually got a bit frustrated and my dad had to calm me down. At one stage I moved all the way over to the right and slowed down to like 25 but still everyone just sucked out wheel. Eventually after fish hoek the entire group decided to come passed. 
had 2 near misses with dogs. First was near camels rock somewhere, a couple with a big greyhound looking dog crossed the road in front of the group. Had to slam on brakes. Then down towards the township, there was a brak that wondered into the road but it dived back as soon as it got a fright. 
finished in 3h30m. All things considered, I’m happy. 

Ah, I was next to you in the starting pin for 1D - (on your right) blue/yellow jersey with green shorts. You and your Dad both had the Red jerseys with 32 and 34 tours completed. Congratulations!

I completed my 27th tour this year!

38 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Ah, I was next to you in the starting pin for 1D - (on your right) blue/yellow jersey with green shorts. You and your Dad both had the Red jerseys with 32 and 34 tours completed. Congratulations!

I completed my 27th tour this year!

Were you the guy I was chatting to about the smell coming from the castle and how you used to play there by the water as a lightie?

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Talk of 5-10 minutes burst and plenty freewheeling in this thread. This is my HR data for the race, plus setting a new max HR of 10bpm higher than what it was. 

IMG_1063.jpeg

RESPECT !!!!

No ways my knees will survive THAT ...  :eek:

8 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Were you the guy I was chatting to about the smell coming from the castle and how you used to play there by the water as a lightie?

No, I was next to you before the chute opened to the start line. Thereafter I was in front I think or you were as well. I was the first person around the start corner.

EDIT: Wait, it may have been - I chatted with someone re the smell and commented on how it use to look when I came on a castle tour as a lightie, but he was on my right and I think you were on my left.

Edited by Smartie

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Talk of 5-10 minutes burst and plenty freewheeling in this thread. This is my HR data for the race, plus setting a new max HR of 10bpm higher than what it was. 

IMG_1063.jpeg

Here's my equivalent HRZ breakdown. I started in &, and did a 2:55

My strategy this year was to go as hard as I could on the climbs, crest them near-ish the super climbers at the front, and spend little energy chasing back between climbs. The strategy made all the difference this year.

1.85m tall, 75kg, 34yo.

image.png.93e5d47eaece9290be80ddbb98bda7f2.png

And from one Sid the Sloth to another @Sid the Sloth (Dan Loubser) Well done for another impressive year!

Sorry your break didn't go the distance, but the bravery on display was inspiring 💪 🏆 Was really great for us to watch the catch up of the Pro's on YouTube after the race. 

Edited by Hilton.

I finished nr 16 this year from 4B. 

I enjoyed the general positive vibe of my fellow cyclists and had a relatively quiet CTCT.

The wind reminded me of descending Chappies during "The Windy One".

Big shout out to Farbar for sponsoring some solid fuel at the water points. Your marketing worked, and I will definitely be using your product in future.

I met some Belguims in the finish village who seemed to have enjoyed their first CTCTs despite training on a billard table near Brugge.

12 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

We went over the line together. I'm the overweight dude in the Paarl Triathlon jersey. The last 24hrs I keep thinking to myself, if every garage pie I had these last couple of months equalled a second, I could've easily made sub3 haha.

Or if you hadnt had those 36 beers last week!

Well Done on a super ride (and week!)

15 hours ago, Mayo916 said:

No, the guy I'm speaking about is ML. I think we saw the same person, as a few of us saw ML wobbling on his bike while drinking just after he almost caused a crash a few km earlier.

But the reason I memorized his number was because I saw him littering and that made me angry.

ML?

DM if its sensitive

11 minutes ago, BMCfan said:

Or if you hadnt had those 36 beers last week!

Well Done on a super ride (and week!)

Only got you to blame for it then! 😜

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

ML?

DM if its sensitive

I don't mind naming and shaming someone that littered.
It was Manfred LAMBRECHTS. 

Super strong ride, he just needs to work on his bike handling skills (in a bunch). 

Edited by Mayo916