Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in 4B but started with 5F along with wifey. Had  fairly chilled ride dodging people and getting mini slipstream assistance from slower riders. Didn't manage to find anyone I could keep up with to get some proper assistance to Cape Point and my undertrained legs were toast by the time I got there. One chap objected to my overtake going in to the circle in Sea Point - he was hogging the right, as so many people seem to, but I still found a gap to his right to overtake. Not sure what he was upset about...

Wifey witnessed a nasty crash near Misty Cliffs. Rider looked back over his shoulder and as he did so twisted his bars and crashed hard. Heard later someone else crashed into him...

Well done to all!

On 3/11/2024 at 10:10 AM, dev null said:

That road after you crest Smits makes me wonder every year how come there not be more bad crashes. That road surface is demonic if you ride a road bike with 23mm tires pumped to 8 bar. No way I would even reach for a water bottle.

In the days of 23mm tyre that road was in a much better condition. It hasn’t been resurfaced in over 10, maybe 15 years

So my daughter chatted with her boss. He knew the E Bike time rules. He traveled from PE to CT with the sole intention of trying to do a sub 3 hour ride. The mind boggles.

Wonder how many of the disqualified e bikers purposely rode to break the timing rule?

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

In the days of 23mm tyre that road was in a much better condition. It hasn’t been resurfaced in over 10, maybe 15 years

Yes. All of us have some old frames. I can fit 25mm tyres only just on my frame. On my son's frame we can only fit a 25mm on front, 23mm on rear.

Edited by dev null

On 3/11/2024 at 9:25 AM, DieselnDust said:

Its a combination of nutrition, training and mostly recovery from that training

I reckon getting all three in balance is too hard, so I focus on eating and resting only.

Works for me.

22 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

UOF = unofficial finisher. Basically outside the time cut but crossed the line one their own power 

ok that makes sense then - over 7hours. just the results had plenty of people over that time limit with a finish, think they've scrubbed that now.

Just now, dev null said:

Yes. All of us has some old frames. I can fit 25mm tyres only just on my frame. My son's frame we can only fit a 25mm on front, 23mm on rear.

this is the challenge with bikes older than 2018, not all can accpet tyres volumous enough to cope with our roads :(

this is the challenge with bikes older than 2018, not all can accpet tyres volumous enough to cope with our roads :(

This is one of my reasons for the gravel frame with roadie wheels. 32c at 55psi fears no cateye and very few potholes.

I still have a vintage road bike with accompanying man gearing (54-42/12-21)i need to try the CTCT on but i am yet to be drunk enough to commit to doing it on that thing and its 23mm tyres. I dread doing 108km on the bone rattler. It really just hurts sitting on it đŸ¤£. Ive said it many times…it’s from a time when sex was safe and racing dangerous. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

I still have a vintage road bike with accompanying man gearing (54-42/12-21)i need to try the CTCT on but i am yet to be drunk enough to commit to doing it on that thing and its 23mm tyres. I dread doing 108km on the bone rattler. It really just hurts sitting on it đŸ¤£. Ive said it many times…it’s from a time when sex was safe and racing dangerous. 

That gearing setup (42-21) would be the equivalent of 39-19, 36-18, 34-16. That’s easy enough, for me, to get over all the hills. 23mm is just 2mm narrower than my current setup. So it comes down to those horrendous bars and hoods.

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That gearing setup (42-21) would be the equivalent of 39-19, 36-18, 34-16. That’s easy enough, for me, to get over all the hills. 23mm is just 2mm narrower than my current setup. So it comes down to those horrendous bars and hoods.

And geometry. Way too cramped for my liking to be comfy for long rides even though it’s a 62cm.

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

My first sub 3 was on a 53/42 12-21 8 speed set up. Wolber TX 32H hard anodised rims.

those were the days when men were men and knees were nervous

2 hours ago, droo said:

This is one of my reasons for the gravel frame with roadie wheels. 32c at 55psi fears no cateye and very few potholes.

My next bike is a cannondale super six Evo SE. One bike for all the western cape roads

On 3/11/2024 at 7:52 PM, ChrisF said:

Herewith a photo-story of my CTCT weekend -

@Scary Rider

@Silver rider

CTCT 2024.pdf 9.73 MB · 62 downloads

So, as most of you gathered, the Potch train went to Cape Town in almost full force. If I must write a "race report" for the whole long weekend, it would be a week's worth of reading.

We tried to squeeze a year's catching up and sightseeing into 3 days. A BIG thank you to @ChrisF for his efforts to make our stay interesting and fun. 

My race was very slow and kinda crap. But I expected it after last year's fall from the ladder at work, and still doing the rehab thing. 

So I went out with the mindset of taking the day as it comes, surviving it, and take home what needs to be done to get back to my previous level. I'll be following @Phillippe Coetzeeand @DieselnDust's conversation for some pointers. 

I did enjoy the banter and crowds as always. Being so slow I had more time to take it in. 

We are already busy with next year's accomodation and sightseeing plans. 

Like Terminator says: I'll be back!