In the eye of the beholder The Ugly Bike Thread

49 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

286276_1806749_png_zoom_1.jpg

These bikes in Aluminum looks awful. Scott did not do a good job at all with those welds on the frame. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

In terms of bikes that look the worst to ride, not much compares to this:
image.png.e9f45226432ed2bc7826908126089931.png

From back in the day when helmets were optional and a tiny front wheel was a legit way to lower the front end

(for the unaware, that's Jan Ullrich, I think in the 1999 Vuelta)

the ugly bike went quite fast.

36 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

... and a tiny front wheel was a legit way to lower the front end

When chainraings and front wheels were similarly sized.! 🙈

10 minutes ago, splat said:

MCR 9 RDO

Looks like one of them ugly ass old scott dualies had relations with what Niner would imagine a gravel bike to be 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Never liked the curves on this…

i had n steel avalanche at school that i crashed into a concrete barrier…it looked like this afterwards

IMG_2098.jpeg

Has to be one of THE ugliest bikes ever made. 

Any dual suspension where the rear suspension is connected mid way on the down tube. Like this

GT Marathon.jpg

Edited by Irvin85

6 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

Any dual suspension where the rear suspension is connected mid way on the down tube. 

Lies. 100% would buy again. What i would agree with is that they suck for water bottle storage lol

IMG_2103.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

Just now, Bub Marley said:

Can we just lob every hardtail to gravel drop bar conversion bike in this thread. Like every single one of them. Sorry to those who have done it and think it looks great.

I dream of replacing my Diverge with a drop bar Trek Supercaliber for gravel riding ... Don't kill my dreams....

image.png.1c3ce1daceefaea4b6d3e4b726901861.png

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

Lies. 100% would buy again

IMG_2103.jpeg

It might be a lekker bike to ride, but that just screams lazy design work and impractical. guess if you own one like this you ride with a camelbak?

8 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

It might be a lekker bike to ride, but that just screams lazy design work and impractical. guess if you own one like this you ride with a camelbak?

I wouldn't say lazy. Simple yes. These, and other steel bikes like it..(starling etc) are mostly single pivot designs, and designed to be simple, low maintenance. It literally uses 6 bearings, 2 of which never needed replacing. So 4 bearings. Compare that to the 12 in my new plastic bike…

Hydration, yes I did ride with a pack on it haha. It had two bottle mounts. One on the bottom of top tube…bottle always fell out in the top considering where you ride these, and another set under the down tube close to the BB so you could get your bottle full of cow sh!t on the liaison! 😅 

Edited by MORNE