Saddlebag chafing

I am trying very hard to figure out how the saddle bag is even making contact with you and causing chaffing

Please upload a Pic of your setup

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I prefer having a saddlebag, I hate feeling like a pack meul with everything on my back. Also, aesthetics are less of a priority than practicality/function.

The saddlebag isn't very big (relative to what I've seen available in shops). All I have in the saddlebag is a tube, 2xC02 bombs, the nozzle for the bombs, a small multitool, quick link, tyre lever and some cash. There's usually more than enough space left for my house keys (2 keys, 1 remote). I have to pack it correctly, otherwise it sounds like I'm trying to play an x-mas jingle with every pedal-stroke.

If I've got a jersey on, my food and phone is on me, but for shorter rides I would typically wear a sports shirt with my phone strapped to the saddlebag (see photo)

The phone tilts a lot more than what is shown. It doesn't touch me at all. The wear on my bibs are mostly symmetrical

20240509_165833.jpg.2072ad25aef91af3fbd8a9ddc9825b35.jpg

Here's a few photos of what it looks like on my roadbike:

20240509_165456.jpg.feff5361fb5a27fb162796c595d08134.jpg

20240509_165517.jpg.cbac4116f5804d01c1afbc4692a5392e.jpg

20240509_165650.jpg.ee482a7c7ce580777d831e71fdb05169.jpg

20240509_165414.jpg.89d3bd15244d9e54ad1e0f414a80f814.jpg

My thighs are thicc-er compared to the rest of my legs/upper body, so maybe I need to move the saddle a bit more forward to create more space between the saddlebag and my legs.

That saddlebag is quite beefy and your saddle seems a bit fwd of "usual". On my road bike I squeeze ,2 tubes, 2 bombs plus adapter, multitool wrapped in tiny cloth to avoid rattles and tyre lever. I don't recall OP saying road or MTB? On an MTB I keep everything in my Camelbak and don't carry a tube - too many old thorns in the tyre anyway....and DEFINITELY no pump ...ever.

PS: Strapping your phone to your bag is inviting theft or losing it. Back pocket only.

Does this allign with the damage on your bibs ?

Screenshot_20240509_195835_Chrome.jpg.b71d78af5d21a1f41d498de05b42b9eb.jpg

PS - I used this same bag when I carried spares for me and the youngster.  Never had damage to my bibs though

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

That saddlebag is quite beefy and your saddle seems a bit fwd of "usual". On my road bike I squeeze ,2 tubes, 2 bombs plus adapter, multitool wrapped in tiny cloth to avoid rattles and tyre lever. I don't recall OP saying road or MTB? On an MTB I keep everything in my Camelbak and don't carry a tube - too many old thorns in the tyre anyway....and DEFINITELY no pump ...ever.

PS: Strapping your phone to your bag is inviting theft or losing it. Back pocket only.

"Beefy" perhaps, but more like a 6ft Venter. 

The SWAT storage systems are quite neat, albeit pricey. Then there are the Rapstrapz gadgets that seems rather cool. The advantage of these systems are that you could mount them on down tube or seat tube - away from the saddle

I've had that velcro strap securing the bag to the seatpost rip up some shorts too.!

A smaller bag with a saddle bracket perhaps if the suggestions of pockets only and/or spares bottle doesn't work for you.

20240509_211027.jpg

So, as a question to the saddle bag haters.... Where do you store stuff?

I HATE having things in my pockets and my flannel race shirt doesn't have any storage. 

I have seen a spate of aero bikes with 40mm wheels, hoods turned in with riders in full toit lycra and 120g aero helmets with a bespoke hand made bar bag hanging below the stem.

Is that acceptable?

Or do we sacrifice a bottle cage for a spares bottle?

If I can't perform like a pro, I at least want to be able to nod and be nodded at by the pros without being judged....

My 50c is the upward angle of the seat is forcing you to sit further back on the seat and causing your legs to make contact with the bag. Have you had a proper bike setup done? You might find your setup is more the problem then the saddle bag? Just my 50c anyway.

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Does this allign with the damage on your bibs ?

Screenshot_20240509_195835_Chrome.jpg.b71d78af5d21a1f41d498de05b42b9eb.jpg

Somewhat, yes. I had a look this morning and theses are the corners chafing my bib:

20240509_165517.jpg.b590d950d03c1555100a85887633ac78.jpg

3 hours ago, mikkelz said:

I do not want to see photos of his rear end! 🙈😜

No worries, you're safe. It's only availabe on my Only Fans 😉

12 hours ago, Thomo said:

I've had that velcro strap securing the bag to the seatpost rip up some shorts too.!

A smaller bag with a saddle bracket perhaps if the suggestions of pockets only and/or spares bottle doesn't work for you.

20240509_211027.jpg

If I can't come right with this setup, I'll look out for one of these, thanks!

1 hour ago, Sandro said:

My 50c is the upward angle of the seat is forcing you to sit further back on the seat and causing your legs to make contact with the bag. Have you had a proper bike setup done? You might find your setup is more the problem then the saddle bag? Just my 50c anyway.

I think you may be right. The saddle is slightly tilted upwards, pushing me back. I'm going to adjust the saddle a bit more forward and check if it's still touching.

I never felt the need for 'n proper bike fit as I usually set the bike up relatively comfortable for myself and never had any pain or discomfort, but this issue changes things, a setup is far cheaper than what bibs would cost me in the long run.

14 minutes ago, Ivan Bergman said:

Somewhat, yes. I had a look this morning and theses are the corners chafing my bib:

I think you may be right. The saddle is slightly tilted upwards, pushing me back. I'm going to adjust the saddle a bit more forward and check if it's still touching.

I never felt the need for 'n proper bike fit as I usually set the bike up relatively comfortable for myself and never had any pain or discomfort, but this issue changes things, a setup is far cheaper than what bibs would cost me in the long run.

Do yourself a favour and have a proper setup done, you won't regret it.

16 minutes ago, Ivan Bergman said:

This will be a total game changer for you, I have also had the experience of riding pain free for quite some time without a proper bike setup, but the difference the bike setup made was immense. 

Ryder Innovation makes quite a few nice products that allows you to store most of your stuff on the bike, and then the SWAT boxes from Specialized is great, I have one of those on my bike. It is expensive but way cheaper than buying new bibs every couple of months. 

I also have a small bag that I bought at my LBS, that carries some small tools, extra CO2's plus adaptor and cash that I simply through in my jersey pocket. this is great as it is a bit smaller than a saddle bag but can carry it with me during MTB or road rides so no need to have a saddle bag for each bike

with so few items in that huge saddle bag you can most definitely go smaller. 

Forget about putting your phone in there, that just inviting problems.