Saddlebag chafing

Agree with most of the replies above.

- A bikefit is always a good place to start

- A smaller, NARROWER, bag will resolve the issue.

- Often the largest item in the toolbag is a spare tube.  Do yourself a favour and look at the spare tube from Specialized.  Actually well priced (at least it was last time I bought), and significantly smaller packing space than other tubes !!

- A well packed toolbag has a nice tightfit, preventing a lot of of noise and even damage as stuff chafe around.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confess to using saddle bags. I even have one that looks the same as the OP's. I have worn out a number of saddle bags and even a seat post where the bag touches the bike, but never had an issue with my legs rubbing on a saddle bag.

Ivan I would suggest:

• Get you saddle adjusted properly. Ideally with a bike fit, or at least with advice from a bike shop or experienced cyclist. Once you are happy with the saddle position, don't mess with it.
  • Then make a plan to get the saddle bag clear of your legs. I am not too sure how but usually it is not a problem. But if it is for you on your bike, try another saddle bag.

Regarding saddle bags, I have one on each bike. The contents set up for each specific bike. Spare tube (correct size, valve type etc), puncture kit (tubeless on the MTB, conventional for the tubed bike), chain master link (correct for chain type), valve adaptor for presta valves, core removal tool for shrader ones, then tyre levers, some cable ties, duct tape etc.

I carry phone, food, multi-tool, mini pump etc on me as these move from bike to bike.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Agree with most of the replies above.

- A bikefit is always a good place to start

- A smaller, NARROWER, bag will resolve the issue.

- Often the largest item in the toolbag is a spare tube.  Do yourself a favour and look at the spare tube from Specialized.  Actually well priced (at least it was last time I bought), and significantly smaller packing space than other tubes !!

- A well packed toolbag has a nice tightfit, preventing a lot of of noise and even damage as stuff chafe around.

A PROPERLY rolled up tube also takes up less space. i.e. all air removed and wound up nice and tight - makes a difference! But the Maxxis welter / flyweight tubes are also great.

6 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

A PROPERLY rolled up tube also takes up less space. i.e. all air removed and wound up nice and tight - makes a difference! But the Maxxis welter / flyweight tubes are also great.

Put a new tube next to a new Spez tube and you will SEE the difference 👍

And I dont ride Spez bikes 🤪

Is this The Friday Thread? It should be. Why would you ride with a saddle bag? They are k@K looking and things fall out of them ( and clearly they rub your chubby thighs stukkend) . The first responder had the right idea even if it was from the Roadie Bible. Jersey pockets are the place for your sh$t. If you don't have a roadie style top with pockets ( which I doubt), strap your sh$t to the frame or take a back pack. Never ever use a saddle bag. 

6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Is this The Friday Thread? It should be. Why would you ride with a saddle bag? They are k@K looking and things fall out of them ( and clearly they rub your chubby thighs stukkend) . The first responder had the right idea even if it was from the Roadie Bible. Jersey pockets are the place for your sh$t. If you don't have a roadie style top with pockets ( which I doubt), strap your sh$t to the frame or take a back pack. Never ever use a saddle bag. 

I see you already had your Friday pub lunch ...

40 minutes ago, Headshot said:

they also make great flattish fanny bags if your jersey does not have pockets. I personally dislike how saddle bags ruin the profile of one's bike. 

1 hour ago, i24 said:

even a seat post where the bag touches the bik

I solved that with some anti rattle tape that auto electricians use. 

2 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

they also make great flattish fanny bags if your jersey does not have pockets. I personally dislike how saddle bags ruin the profile of one's bike. 

I use a fanny bag to carry the phone, food and other stuff that does not go into the saddle bag.🤫

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Saddle bags are thee sign of selfsufficient riders, that (try to) make it home without phoning for help.

No saddle bags reduce aerodynamic drag by reducing the turbulent wake behind the riders backside. They help you go faster, like a MotorGP bike.

As a side effect, they provide UV protection for your spare tube so when the day comes and you finally need it, you don't find it perished and punctured.

I like my saddle bags on my roadie/gravel. I look like a kwasjiorkor stricken orangutan anyways. So no style point loss. 

As for the bibvriettertjie... I'm using those topeak click on bags. No velcro around the seat tube or anywhere for that matter. Found the velcro was what was eating at my Gilbert grapes. 

Ordered this from Cyckit in New Zealand. You can drop them a mail with the details of your saddle and they will send the correct one. I have Bontrager saddles on my road bikes and just swop between the two. It takes one screw to hold it on place and won't move. You also get three different container sizes so you can swop out depending on what you need for the day. It's a solid piece of kit and definitely won't damage your bibs. 

20240511_102436.jpg

20240511_102442_HDR.jpg

20240511_102503_HDR.jpg

20240511_102646_HDR.jpg

20240511_102846_HDR.jpg