Heart Rate Strap - smelly

Good morning, Hubbers!

Anyone managed to successfully get rid of the manky smell that develops on a Garmin HRM strap? I rinse mine on occasion, especially after a hot ride, but there's a stank to it now which no amount of rinsing under lukewarm water will solve.

TIA.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rinse my Garmin strap properly after every activity, and chuck it in the washing machine every 6w or so.  No smell no issues.

Will soaking it in eg vinegar for a while damage it?

Pop it in the washing machine with your kit on a gentle cold wash every other week.  Just remember to clip off the pebble sensor first.  Being washing mine like that for 5 years, no issues.

on this topic.

I've found that once the stench is there its basically impossible to get rid of with normal washing.

Has anyone used any of those antibacterial sports sprays to get rid of the smell ? was it successful and which one did you use?

27 minutes ago, Pieter-za said:

I rinse my Garmin strap properly after every activity, and chuck it in the washing machine every 6w or so.  No smell no issues.

15 minutes ago, Dazshell said:

Pop it in the washing machine with your kit on a gentle cold wash every other week.  Just remember to clip off the pebble sensor first.  Being washing mine like that for 5 years, no issues.

I have the HRM-Pro, which cannot be chucked in the washing machine. I have to rinse/wash by hand. 

28 minutes ago, Pieter-za said:

A bit difficult for me as to the device. Hand washing the straps would probably be the best method.

1 minute ago, mecheng89 said:

I have the HRM-Pro, which cannot be chucked in the washing machine. I have to rinse/wash by hand. 

Mine goes into the shower with me after every ride and gets rinsed off.

But my helmet is the smelly problem, and I'd bet the same solution for you will work for me.

3 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

For once the run-of-the-mill version is actually better then! 🤣

17 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Not sure how it differs from the Dual - but after some years no issue with this approach with my HRM-Dual.

16 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

A bit difficult for me as to the device. Hand washing the straps would probably be the best method.

Have you tried washing it in a Milton solution ?  Handwash in a bucket, rinse repeat a few times ....

Anything longer than a 20km ride my standard routine when I get home:

- wash my glasses under running water, dry and put away

- Wash the helmet, especially the padding under running water.  It is then placed on an open rack ontop of a towel to dry naturally.

- The heart rate strap goes the same route as the helmet.

- Gummy-berry juice bottle is washed out under the tap.  (Actually for their Milton wash again)

- Hydration pack emptied and rinsed

Only then do I go for a swim or a shower.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Mine goes into the shower with me after every ride and gets rinsed off.

But my helmet is the smelly problem, and I'd bet the same solution for you will work for me.

I do the shower thing as well, especially with IDT sessions. My hr strap goes in the shower and then hangs in the bathroom between rides.

Muck of foam fresh does wonders on a helmet. used to use it on my MX helmet a lot. That and then sit the helmet on a fan to air and dry after big rides. You get those floor fans, aim it straight up and rest the helmet on it