Road bike service - Ouch!

I have a Pinarello FP Quattro That I purchased in the UK when I was there for a course. It was bought at an "end of season" sale, and it was marked down so much I just could not resist buying it...😁 That was February 2011. Full Ultegra 10 speed groupset.

I took my bike in for a full service to my favourite bike shop in Vanderbijlpark, URCycling. The last time it had a full service was in October 2021. Yes, I know I should be doing it more often, but life happens. Anyway, I went into my LBS to collect it after leaving at them for a week. Total cost was ±R7000!😬 When I paid for the service and replacement parts I thought to myself, I bought my first car after starting to work in Sasolburg more than 40 years ago and I then paid R5995 for it. Now to service a bike cost more than what a small car cost at that time.

Admittedly, a lot was done. That amount included the full service, both brake housings and inner cables was replaced, both shifter cables and housings were replaced. Both the derailleur pulley wheels were replaced, the hanger was also replaced. I did not notice it, but it had a small crack in it, possibly after the fall I had when a car sideswiped me when the driver ignored a stop sign. The BB was replaced, as well as the front big chainring. The cassette was replaced and the chain too. Most of the part replaced was original Shimano Ultegra parts, except the BB, which was replaced with a Token one. The last item that was done, was the replacing of the handlebar tape. 

I am now super stoked to go for a ride tomorrow morning to feel how it behaves after all this TLC it's received!🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️

image.jpeg.d71fa31f759ad1c2416a6478281f9aa9.jpeg

Edited by Jaco Steyn

I guess if you didn't have it serviced in a long time it makes sense that they changed all at once.

For motorbikes or cars "servicing" usually means "oil change", and then look at what else could be worn but for bicyles, I don't understand the concept of "servicing" bicycles, I prefer the term "maintainance" = change whatever needs replacing when needed. When a bike shop wants to charge me for a "service" I just tell them to do what I want, because they will end up charging for the parts and labour anyways (on top of the service fee).

For example I do :

- chain clean every "dirty/wet" ride + relube

- chain lube every few rides if dry

- full ultrasonic clean + rewax before every race

- new chain at .25 wear (so quite often considering I run KMC chains and do most my miles on the gravel bike, maybe 5 chains per year ?)

- cassette, only on the MTB I've finished cassettes (= 10T cog slips), I've never finished a road cassette or a chainring, but I also change sizes  quite often

- wheel bearings about once or twice a year for each of my bikes

- headset bearings every year for each of my bikes

- freehub bearings i'd say I do one every year or maybe couple of years between all my bikes (that would be about every 3 years for each one of them)

- BB, I must have done one since I started cycling

- Jockey wheels I've done 2, one on the MTB, one on the gravel bike, never on a road bike

- Brake hoses ??? The only ones I replaced was because they got too short overtime (integrated bars), or when I upgraded brakesets

Either way, 7k for who knows how many years of racing is not a lot of money if every bearing on your bike was done, plus some of your drivetrain freshen up and all. You should probably consider staying on top of your maintenance more regularly, it will feel much cheaper (probably won't be 😅)

Edited by Jbr

Chainrings, cassette and chain (all Ultegra parts) included?  Your LBS was very kind to you. Well done.  Enjoy many smooth miles!

Am I the only one shaking my head over here? I've never known a road bike to have a major service......if I had to, I wouldn't use any Shimano parts and would go aftermarket. Instead of replacing a BB I replace the bearings, and only after I've re-lubed the bearings a few times.

7 k is probably what I've spent on my MTB AND road bike in the last 10 years, probably 90/10 in favour of my MTB ......at the very least I'd rather spend as and when than a huge cost at once.

1 minute ago, love2fly said:

7 k is probably what I've spent on my MTB AND road bike in the last 10 years, probably 90/10 in favour of my MTB ......at the very least I'd rather spend as and when than a huge cost at once.

I hope you service your suspensions yourself, because that’s the budget for two full suspension services 😅 ( which is 1 year if you ride your bike)

26 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I hope you service your suspensions yourself, because that’s the budget for two full suspension services 😅 ( which is 1 year if you ride your bike)

I do my own aircan and lowers services and the only other cost I use LBS for is wheel truing.

Ok not 10 years but Im able to run both my bikes on a comparative shoestring.

14 hours ago, love2fly said:

Am I the only one shaking my head over here? I've never known a road bike to have a major service......if I had to, I wouldn't use any Shimano parts and would go aftermarket. Instead of replacing a BB I replace the bearings, and only after I've re-lubed the bearings a few times.

Chainring, cassette, chain, pulley wheels, hanger, BB, brake cables, gear cables + labour. 

7k is a bargain. If you don't think so then you should be doing it yourself 

1 hour ago, Andreas_187 said:

Chainring, cassette, chain, pulley wheels, hanger, BB, brake cables, gear cables + labour. 

7k is a bargain. If you don't think so then you should be doing it yourself 

How many km do you have to do in 3 years to justify changing all those drivetrain components? I have no idea what mileage my road bike has done but my MTB is on 13000km on the first GX cassette and 2nd chain now an XX1 I put on after 2000km.....road bike has Gade same cassette and chainrings for too long to remember. Put on a KMC chain 3 years ago. Keep it clean and lubed and it lasts.

16 hours ago, Jbr said:

I do my own aircan and lowers services and the only other cost I use LBS for is wheel truing.

Ok not 10 years but Im able to run both my bikes on a comparative shoestring.

Kmc chain lasts about 2-3000km till it reached .25wear, for me that’s a couple months

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

How many km do you have to do in 3 years to justify changing all those drivetrain components? 

The drivetrain could still be the original from 2011 he did not say if it was changed in 2021 with that service. I presume it was not and could have done many km in 13 odd years. Judging from the service intervals a chain lube was probably not done as often as required. 

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

How many km do you have to do in 3 years to justify changing all those drivetrain components?

What's that got to do with anything? All those components were changed and it cost 7k... Bargain 

33 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

What's that got to do with anything? All those components were changed and it cost 7k... Bargain 

I'm not questioning the 7k cost but the words "Full Service"  and the thought of giving a bike shop carte blanche to replace parts makes my skin crawl....I'm the guy who decides what and when but that's just me.

Thanks to all commenting. Some feedback to clear up some confusion.

The chain was replaced after about 12000 kms. I think I did not do too badly on it. The chain was cleaned and lubed regularly. The chain was last replaced on the previous service in 2021. The cassette lasted longer, deemed not necessary to replace with the Oct 2021 service. Similarly, the BB lasted the same 12000km and was replaced on the pervious service. The chainring and derailleur pulley wheels has never been replaced since I bought the bike in 2011. The derailleur hanger was replaced after the bike mechanic discovered it had a feint crack, possibly due to a fairly resent fall. I appreciated his attention to detail for picking it up. 

My main point for the post was just to emphasize how much cost of living escalated over the years, hence comparing the service cost to what I paid for my first car in 1983. 

I went on a short, but extremely cold ride early this morning to test the bike out, and I must say, Massimo at URCycling did a stellar job servicing my bike. It felt like new whilst cycling this morning.