The best bottle cage/bottle combo

mecheng89

My few cents worth.

I don't buy top end - don't see the value. Love Elite, but not willing to pay the price.

So most of my bottles are the goodie bag freebies, apart from the 2x 1litre Ryder bottles I bought some time ago.  No issues with the shape.

On cages.

Supacaz plastic holds the bottles firm on the Niner gravel bike, moved from Blackburn . The Blackburn ones worked ok, but are quite flimsy and tend to fail at the frame screws over time.

On the Giant road bikes - normal plastic Giant ones (those that supports the bottle high up)

On the MTB  - Giant or the old (and heavy) Profile Design ones

Never loose bottles

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem I had with cages/bottles was like 20-25 years ago when I was poor (still in school) and I used the cheap aluminum cages.  They punctured the bottles after a while.

Since then, I had a couple of combos and never gave it any thought.  Some lasts longer than others.  I enjoyed the Elite cages I got for free somewhere.  After them, I got side entry cages, because I had a dual susp bike at some stage.  Since then, I have been using them.  I think they are Syncros and I use whatever cheap bottle I get with goodie bags.

Maybe I am just lucky.

I reckon Lezyne Flow are great, They are not light, saw some pros use them in Paris Roubaix once, so that sold me. When I want to spoil my bike, I get two of these.

El cheapo Zefal plastic side loader cage has lasted two bikes and 10 years.

Bottles are random goodie bag freebies that I dig out the cupboard.

And never an issue to date (mtb)

Edited by patham
Added a last word!

2 hours ago, Underachiever said:

My few cents worth.

I don't buy top end - don't see the value. Love Elite, but not willing to pay the price.

So most of my bottles are the goodie bag freebies, apart from the 2x 1litre Ryder bottles I bought some time ago.  No issues with the shape.

On cages.

Supacaz plastic holds the bottles firm on the Niner gravel bike, moved from Blackburn . The Blackburn ones worked ok, but are quite flimsy and tend to fail at the frame screws over time.

On the Giant road bikes - normal plastic Giant ones (those that supports the bottle high up)

On the MTB  - Giant or the old (and heavy) Profile Design ones

Never loose bottles

Giant cages with any bottle.

Supacaz cages seem to work well with all bottles I have tried and are very light. Mostly MTB and never had any issues with bottles falling and slides in and out easily. They do seem to leave black marks on the bottles which is a little annoying but potentially a worthwhile compromise. 

Camelbak podium bottles FTW

9 hours ago, wolver said:

Specialized Zee II with Camelbak Podium Chill... never had a bottle fall out and easy to get in and out 👌

Yip same on my HT and no matter the trail I have never lost a bottle. 👍🏻

8 hours ago, Dusty said:

Giant cages with any bottle.

I have a Giant cage on my MTB… bought it for the minimal amount of lumo yellow/green that matches the bike’s same minimal amount of the same colour on the bike.

Also fits like a charm with any bottle that has an slim waist.

I find that the Camelbak bottles work with all the cages I’ve had, Spez Zee, Lyne, unbranded carbon etc 

the insulation is something I’m not willing to do without so those fidlock options are out for now 

21 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Insulation is way overrated. Hardly makes any difference and the downside is you get less capacity. 

Hardly overrated if you enjoy a chilled chilled drink, happy to lose the 100 odd mls

To each his own afterall.