will king price cover my hubs

50 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

they won't pay if it was during a race.

I might be wrong, but I think it is only when you are a pro rider.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

...., and most insurers have a clause that they won't pay if it was during a race.

I was happy to see that Santam DO provide full cover during races - for amateur riders.

With motorcycles and 4x4's it is near impossible to get cover when doing "timed events".

yes king price said they cover a race aslong as you arnt a pro rider 

chain break was fixed immediately, luckily i was only 1km away from my local bike shop  

About "race" coverage. Why should it matter? When coming off the bike for whatever reason causing damage then surely you are covered regardless of where, how, or when you were riding? When I claimed I was just asked how the damage occurred and when. " I fell off my bike while riding at around 10:30 on Saturday at XYZ." 

I've never been asked if I was racing.

On 7/1/2024 at 4:53 PM, Jp_perros said:

Today i wanted to go for a nice pr record of 60km since getting back on my bike, it was cut short by a snaped chain quick link, a puncture and my hub wobbling about 5mm to each side, i feel that something is not right in my drivetrain and i also hear it, my rims are now cracked and will not hold tubeless anymore i blame that on titan racing cutting corners on the rogue sport 2023. i would like to know can some of this be covered by warranty or can it be covered by king prices R1 bicycle insurance and if not how much will the total cost be for the new wheel sets. For those who want to know i snaped the chain just going up hill suppose to much power since the chain is well maintained and only has 100km on it and the rims because i heavily cased a jump.  i fixed the chain though 

Here’s my take, and I deal with bicycle insurance companies weekly.

I have seen many rims crack like that, normally over tensioned and also bad tuneless tape and volatile sealant eating away at the metal.

If your hubs are flopping side to side, it’s likely maintenance and either poor bearings, or alternatively loose cones if it’s a cup and cone system.

My advice would be that you tell them you rode in quite an aggressively rocky area, you heard spokes making a noise and inspected the wheels after the ride. Noticed the cracks and you want to put in a claim for a new wheelset.

They will ask for quotes, and the build fee, with 64 new spokes and nipples, including 2 rims won’t be too far off from what you can get in a complete set of wheels.

On 7/3/2024 at 7:33 AM, Robbie Stewart said:

About "race" coverage. Why should it matter? When coming off the bike for whatever reason causing damage then surely you are covered regardless of where, how, or when you were riding? When I claimed I was just asked how the damage occurred and when. " I fell off my bike while riding at around 10:30 on Saturday at XYZ." 

I've never been asked if I was racing.

Because when on the clock, proficient riders dial it up two notches, and the risk is more. Makes sense for motorsports. Try getting track day insurance for a Porsche/Ferrari and see where the premiums are. 

So today, after the third ride in three attempts of descending the Contermanskloof Rhino and offering my rear wheel as a sacrifice to the rim-eating rocks I will be hitting my insurance up with a claim for a proper wheel. Specialized really do make good bikes but they are absolutely RUBBISH at making good wheels.

On 7/2/2024 at 12:20 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

So I bought me a new Spez Stumpy Evo late last year. An absolute beast of a bike. It just plows through everything I throw at it, except for the lead in to the Contersmanskloof Rhino, where there is one rock that just hates my rear wheel. I am 2 for 2 in getting a flat and a couple extra bends to my rim there.
I have now taken a shifting spanner to that rim twice in the 8 or so months of owning the bike, and just replaced the rear Eliminator tyre with a new one last Friday.

Does this warrant an insurance claim? Maybe. Did I? no. Could I? probably. Can I go to Spez and fight them for giving me such a toss rim? I feel that is unfair. It's me that hit that rock with a semi underinflated tyre thinking it will improve my grip levels. 

This aged well👀

4 hours ago, MORNE said:

This aged well👀

As well as the Swiss cheese Spaz use in their rims. I will put it on record that they are seemingly incapable of issuing proper wheels on their bikes. Another reason to rather just buy a frame set and build your own. 

13 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

As well as the Swiss cheese Spaz use in their rims. I will put it on record that they are seemingly incapable of issuing proper wheels on their bikes. Another reason to rather just buy a frame set and build your own. 

Gotta cut costs somewhere, and i doubt you'll find a brand that doesn't save costs on wheels at the low to mid range bikes 

13 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Also, it might be tempting but don't run your pressures too low in the pursuit of ‘grip’. It took me a ride or three to get used to running slightly harder pressures after also being told too lol, but your tyre pressures shouldn't be the bandaid for shitty suspension setup.

I’ve learnt this from some pretty fast guys over the past few months. Guys half my size running 28/30psi and right at the top of the leaderboards down those trails.

Most people actually run their tyres too soft for the type of riding they do. Yes casings matter, but you cant run 23psi and smash down rocks at 120kg as an example. Go look at where greg minaar ran his pressures this past weekend, as a 85kg ish rider. It’s an eye opener (26-30psi). im not saying you’ll need to run 40psi, but you cant run the same pressures as 70kg riders and not expect to fold a rim over a rock when it goes wrong.

Also, invest in a digital pressure gauge if you don't have one already. Another eye opener. My floor pump is out by 5-7psi lol.

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Also, it might be tempting but don't run your pressures too low in the pursuit of ‘grip’. It took me a ride or three to get used to running slightly harder pressures after also being told too lol, but your tyre pressures shouldn't be the bandaid for shitty suspension setup.

I’ve learnt this from some pretty fast guys over the past few months. Guys half my size running 28/30psi and right at the top of the leaderboards down those trails.

Most people actually run their tyres too soft for the type of riding they do. Yes casings matter, but you cant run 23psi and smash down rocks at 120kg as an example. Go look at where greg minaar ran his pressures this past weekend, as a 85kg ish rider. It’s an eye opener (26-30psi). im not saying you’ll need to run 40psi, but you cant run the same pressures as 70kg riders and not expect to fold a rim over a rock when it goes wrong.

Also, invest in a digital pressure gauge if you don't have one already. Another eye opener. My floor pump is out by 5-7psi lol.

Yip if over a 100kg around 30psi if you even want to look at rocks sonder om op jou tande te kners 😁 

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

When you get called fat without actually being called fat. 😂

Jokes aside. I actually pumped that brand new rear tyre to 40 psi before departing on the ride. For the very reason I push 114kg presently and my rear shock was around 250 psi. That rim still got it's life knocked out of it by a smallish rock. I found that the 27.5 wheel at the back tends to go wandering around when the pressures are too low. By default I need higher pressures on that wheel so that it tracks predictably. I can run lower pressure on my 29 on the Camber but not on the Stumpy.

4 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Gotta cut costs somewhere, and i doubt you'll find a brand that doesn't save costs on wheels at the low to mid range bikes 

Sure, I get that. My gripe is that if this means I'm going to spend an additional 20k on better wheels anyway then why not just fit better wheels from the outset? My thinking now is that nothing Spez tell me will convince me to buy another set of Roval wheels. I'll be shopping elsewhere. Why not do the decent thing and rather retain loyalty and ensure repeat business instead of chasing that one sale, or maybe the thinking is if you're not spending at least 100k then they don't really want your business? Either way, it's frustrating now having to source new wheels. 

I dont ride much technical, but QUITE happy with my ROVAL wheelset; they seem decent-enough, and LIKELY suit a number of riders on Specialized bikes - but not everyone…

Years ago, i bought a 2nd hand Epic comp carbon with Roval alu wheelset, and zero problems with them, whist not ‘pushing’ them, admittedly.

i know Bike Radar gives certain Roval wheels 4/5 stars, so i dont think they are totally crap (your words: rubbish)

and yes, your 07th Feb post - bent rim 2x (in one specific area) in 8-odd months, and then damaging it for the 3rd time in the same area (Conties), methinks you are possibly harsh on Roval!

Happy - requesting even - to be educated on where the rims lie on a scale of strength, etc, on the value-end of bikes…

Cheers

Chris