The deteriorating classifieds culture

2 hours ago, JBK said:

My opinion on this is that some people have all their notification settings switched off and they don't list their telephone numbers so they simply do not receive the messages requesting info or offers to purchase. I wanted to buy a saddle from someone and sent about 5 messages over the course of about 8 or 9 days asking for them to please make contact so that I could buy the saddle. I wasn't going to negotiate or anything. Eventually I got so the hell in that I offered them half - thinking that will maybe get their attention. They replied a few days later that it was sold.

Pity that you cant review someone with whom you did not buy something from. 

I’ve also experienced the..  oh it’s sold. I normally ask, please have the decent courtesy to update your ad! Or someone selling but not selling, if that makes sense. Maybe some people just need online presence because their therapist thought it was a good idea, to put yourself and your gear out there? Who knows? 😂

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One unfortunate point is that if (after a sale) you give the seller a low rating for not selling you what he advertised or not supplying you according to your specs, as requested, he will give you a low rating back (making up a false story) just out of spite because you gave him a low rating.

There should be a referee (admin) to adjudicate should this matter arise.

52 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

One unfortunate point is that if (after a sale) you give the seller a low rating for not selling you what he advertised or not supplying you according to your specs, as requested, he will give you a low rating back (making up a false story) just out of spite because you gave him a low rating.

We do offer Bike Hub Pay where you can simply return the item and get refunded if it's not as described.

That said, would adjudication of reviews be feature you'd be willing to pay for? Because its horribly time consuming to gather all the communications from both parties. Then you have to hope you can actually make enough sense of it to come to a reliable finding. In the end, it'd likely be far more expensive than just using Bike Hub Pay from the start.

2 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

This is so 100% true - I'm proper mulling over giving a review for 3 or 4 stars because the seller did not make full disclosure on the colours - in the pictures it was clearly black with white branding but on arrival it was black with pink branding. The seller said, "oh couldn't you see in the pictures ?". I said "no" and asked a few people who agreed that the pink was clearly white in the pics. The seller should've offered to take the item back with refund but he did not. If he had, I still would've kept the item and given him a star rating. But I know that if I give him 3 or 4 stars he'll be pissed and come back at me and he really was a really nice guy. 

2 hours ago, Nick said:

We do offer Bike Hub Pay where you can simply return the item and get refunded if it's not as described.

That said, would adjudication of reviews be feature you'd be willing to pay for? Because its horribly time consuming to gather all the communications from both parties. Then you have to hope you can actually make enough sense of it to come to a reliable finding. In the end, it'd likely be far more expensive than just using Bike Hub Pay from the start.

This isn't really, always the solution. As above, I still would've kept the item but the seller should've disclosed in the advert, in the discussions or offered to refund and return. 

27 minutes ago, JBK said:

This is so 100% true - I'm proper mulling over giving a review for 3 or 4 stars because the seller did not make full disclosure on the colours - in the pictures it was clearly black with white branding but on arrival it was black with pink branding. The seller said, "oh couldn't you see in the pictures ?". I said "no" and asked a few people who agreed that the pink was clearly white in the pics. The seller should've offered to take the item back with refund but he did not. If he had, I still would've kept the item and given him a star rating. But I know that if I give him 3 or 4 stars he'll be pissed and come back at me and he really was a really nice guy. 

This isn't really, always the solution. As above, I still would've kept the item but the seller should've disclosed in the advert, in the discussions or offered to refund and return. 

Pink is red with a little white, and we all know #RedBikesAreFaster, so the pink will add a little speed.

Bad jokes aside, not cool if the pics were misleading .

Side note, and a bit of a brag.

Went to look what ratings I may or may not have .... seems over 15 years I have a 5 Star Average, well all the reviews are 5 stars :P

Beat that @babse 🤣

Lets be real, society in general is deteriorating. Not just in SA.

Common logic, common sense, common courtesy and common respect are getting less and less common. So just deal with it, take it with a pinch of salt and don't ruin your blood pressure.

9 hours ago, JBK said:

Call him and talk to him 

If he was such a nice guy ask him to transfer the price of a single beer and call it a day. 

Not monetary minded but to show good faith on both sides 

2 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Lets be real, society in general is deteriorating. Not just in SA.

Common logic, common sense, common courtesy and common respect are getting less and less common. So just deal with it, take it with a pinch of salt and don't ruin your blood pressure.

dis 

Also .... I 

19 hours ago, vanniri said:

Methinks we should allow comments on ads back.

It used to provide me with hours of fun

yes, bring it back! Why was it taken away in the first place?

4 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

yes, bring it back! Why was it taken away in the first place?

Dibs!

20 hours ago, Matt said:

Unfortunately as far as reviews are concerned a line has to be drawn somewhere. You'll find our policy is similar to many other platforms. As others have noted, if it's left totally open there's far too much room for abuse and subjectivity... and then the whole thing falls apart.

We have considered other means to encourage & highlight positive behaviour. And, would welcome any fresh ideas. For example, those who respond to messages within X number of hours/days get a "Responds quickly" badge.

That doesn't solve for the time wasters, but at least surfaces those who are unlikely to waste time. 

“Daddy Matt” is here to restore order 😁😁😁

On 7/8/2024 at 11:05 AM, Dan Dob said:

Having moved to the UK last year (with a huge cycling community), I have really missed Bikehub classifieds and realise I really did not appreciate the huge service BikeHub offer . There is no similar online place here where you can buy 2nd hand from cyclists and so you have to deal with Facebook Marketplace with is generally a vomitfest. So I just want to say well done and thank you to Matt and the team for creating and keeping BikeHub alive!

Close the thread!! People complaining should go play on gumtree or marketplace for a week as detention.

I remember you basically giving stuff away by the time the plane was coming.

While we’re on this topic, what’s the consensus on selling free kit?

For example, I’ve seen loads of people advertising their Vitality kit, event kit or accessories that you receive in a race pack as an example. 

To me, that seems a bit sneaky. But if it’s fair game then fair enough i suppose. I can’t see why anyone would actually buy a vitality kit or an event kit if you haven’t completed it. But that’s just me.