Introducing the SRAM RED XPLR AXS Gravel Groupset

News bot

Press Release SRAM RED XPLR AXS is our most advanced gravel group, featuring a 13-speed 10-46T range so you’re always in the right gear. Precise shifts with tight jumps between cogs keep you in the gearing sweet spot, and the Full Mount derailleur that fits on frames with the UDH interface ensures this system can take whatever you throw at it. True one-finger braking, and significant weight reductions mean RED XPLR AXS flies up and down any route, with all your effort propelling you forward. Key Components of the SRAM RED XPLR AXS RED XPLR AXS Rear Derailleur Gravel throws […]

View full article

Pitty that cassette is only 46T considering many gravel racers use mullet setups with 10-50 or 52 cassettes, I really don’t get the point of bringing that extra gear and making it 1x specific but without expanding the range.

but damn those brakes… i ordered a set while I was in france, then cancelled my order when I remembered my insurance wouldn’t insure items without an invoice in rands. Would love to see a pair of those on my crux 😍

13 hours ago, Jbr said:

Pitty that cassette is only 46T considering many gravel racers use mullet setups with 10-50 or 52 cassettes, I really don’t get the point of bringing that extra gear and making it 1x specific but without expanding the range.

but damn those brakes… i ordered a set while I was in france, then cancelled my order when I remembered my insurance wouldn’t insure items without an invoice in rands. Would love to see a pair of those on my crux 😍

For gravel events, I personally dont think you need bigger than 46 cassette. But yeah it is a bit strange that they wouldnt just make it compatible and let people run as big as they want.

I think you need to change your insurer. I’ve never heard of an insurance company refusing to insure something that’s not in rands. That sounds ridiculous. 

13 hours ago, Jbr said:

I'll admit I'm part of a very small portion of their target market  

But I really wish my eagle cassette was rather something like 10-44 , I really do not need the 52 bail out but would like a tighter jump between gears ( especially when climbing ) 

As far as I remember, they paired the XPLR cassette and derailleur to improve shifting speed, and that it was actually the fastest shifting electronic drivetrain as a result.   

I know this is marketed as a gravel groupset. But honestly with 13 gears, I would happily throw this on a roadbike. The argument with 1X on a roadbike has always been big jumps in gears going back to when we had 11 speed. But now with 2 additional cogs, surely that eliminates most of that issue. Just give us a 48T & 50T chainring option and you’re sorted.

14 hours ago, Jbr said:

I hear you. A 50t would be great which would then open up the opportunity to use this group on a gravel bike and an XCO race bike. The 46t isn’t a Train smash though as the bail out is nearly used in a race.

for gravel I think the range on offer is perfect. Swapping out the chainring makes it even easier and I reckon a mtb 36t or 34t xX1 thread on ring will fit or a shirt axle crank. Most gravel bikes are using 142mm axles anyway and 52mm chainline so there’s a lot of cross compatibility (need to confirm )

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I know this is marketed as a gravel groupset. But honestly with 13 gears, I would happily throw this on a roadbike. The argument with 1X on a roadbike has always been big jumps in gears going back to when we had 11 speed. But now with 2 additional cogs, surely that eliminates most of that issue. Just give us a 48T & 50T chainring option and you’re sorted.

Sram have said thats an option and will work.

buy the 1x road crank (shorter spindle) its a 50 tooth and you are set.

i'm planning a build with this soon so will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

i'm a little nervous of the jump from 38 to the 46. but lets see

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-red-1p-e1

Edited by Furbz

8 hours ago, Andrew Weller said:

Will let you know how she goes…

IMG_6843.jpeg

IMG_6846.jpeg

IMG_6842.jpeg

IMG_6848.jpeg

IMG_6849.jpeg

Zipp 303 XPLR SW wheels???

7 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

Zipp 303 XPLR SW wheels???

Might have dodged a bullet there. Reviews are full of punctures 

It is stunning indeed but not sure it's worth changing from current 44T chainring and 10-44 cassette. 

On 8/3/2024 at 11:44 AM, Furbz said:

Might have dodged a bullet there. Reviews are full of punctures 

Wheels.
Not tyres.
😁

• 2 weeks later...
See Evo bikes has stock. To be honest I am quite surprised with the price. With CCS in the equation I thought we would see our first 1x six figure price monopolized groupset …