Officialdom and cheating

mallo

Read between the lines: Cheating is OK if it is inconvenient to prevent!! No wonder cyclists can be such scaly f*cks. I could get my bike under 6.8 if I wanted to, but I don't. Why? Because it is cheating, and CHEATING IS NOT OK! Not in my book, anyway. When I got dropped on Sunday, one of the okes with whom I was trying to chase back (I know who he is, also usually rides a bike which is well under 6.8kg) said 'let's use the cars'. No man! Let's not. If we aren't strong enough to stay in the group, well, train some more or get used to it.

Pity that you are the exception rather than the rule!! Still cycling cannot produce the quality of bullsh1tters found in ameteur golf competitions!!!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before.  If you have to cheat to be competitive in amateur vets racing in South Africa' date=' then you should seek professional help (different to the professional help you are currently using).  There is no money, and there is no glory.  Just a little bit of respect from your peers.  If you cheat, you won't even get respect.[/quote']

Amen!

Clap

Double amen to that, Bruce. If you're willing to break this rule and that one arbitrarily, why not get some EPO and a few lines of cocaine while you're at it. Reductio ad absurdum, sure, but that's where it gets you.

Read between the lines: Cheating is OK if it is inconvenient to prevent!! No wonder cyclists can be such scaly f*cks. I could get my bike under 6.8 if I wanted to, but I don't. Why? Because it is cheating, and CHEATING IS NOT OK! Not in my book, anyway. When I got dropped on Sunday, one of the okes with whom I was trying to chase back (I know who he is, also usually rides a bike which is well under 6.8kg) said 'let's use the cars'. No man! Let's not. If we aren't strong enough to stay in the group, well, train some more or get used to it.

Pity that you are the exception rather than the rule!! Still cycling cannot produce the quality of bullsh1tters found in ameteur golf competitions!!! You certainly have my respect. As a real novice in the game sinply wanting to get out there and keep reasonably fit and have some fun, I have seen things at the back that have made me want to through up as even the friggen back markers cheat............and I also have vowed that I never will, just as I made that vow in my youth as a fairly competitive runner. Never have and never will.

Only thing that bugs me is that when you are trying to race competitively you never know if you are competing on a level playing field or not.

Double amen to that' date=' Bruce. If you're willing to break this rule and that one arbitrarily, why not get some EPO and a few lines of cocaine while you're at it. Reductio ad absurdum, sure, but that's where it gets you. [/quote']

oooh... good idea. Can you get it for me before Sunday's league race? LOL

Only thing that bugs me is that when you are trying to race competitively you never know if you are competing on a level playing field or not.

Ian, you can't stress about the things you can't change.  The most important person that you have to be honest with is yourself.  Set your own goals, savour your own achievements, and go home and be comfortable looking at yourself in the mirror.

Read between the lines: Cheating is OK if it is inconvenient to prevent!! No wonder cyclists can be such scaly f*cks. I could get my bike under 6.8 if I wanted to' date=' but I don't. Why? Because it is cheating, and CHEATING IS NOT OK! Not in my book, anyway. When I got dropped on Sunday, one of the okes with whom I was trying to chase back (I know who he is, also usually rides a bike which is well under 6.8kg) said 'let's use the cars'. No man! Let's not. If we aren't strong enough to stay in the group, well, train some more or get used to it.
[/quote'] Pity that you are the exception rather than the rule!! Still cycling cannot produce the quality of bullsh1tters found in ameteur golf competitions!!!

That's only cause ameteur golfers can only count to 5 and thats goinb by decimal once they get past 4. So maybe lets start a name and shame hall of fame for those who cheat, holding onto cars, motor pacing behind busses, taking drugs ,taking a short cut etc,etc, these guys should be named and then left to deal with the bunch when they arrive at the start line. Dead

A more worrying thing is there are so few people that have actually read the UCI rules about the sport.  Most South Africans cheat (break the rules) without even realising it.

Most RSA event organisers would do well to read the rules.

Most people in development of cycling in RSA should realise that the rules clearly state that cycling is a TEAM sport and not an individual effort.  ext ext ext Blah Blah Blah.

A more worrying thing is there are so few people that have actually read the UCI rules about the sport.  Most South Africans cheat (break the rules) without even realising it.

Most people in development of cycling in RSA should realise that the rules clearly state that cycling is a TEAM sport and not an individual effort.  ext ext ext Blah Blah Blah.

Perhaps it shows there's a disconnect between the UCI rules designed for pro-cycling and the reality of amateur racing.

Perhaps it shows there's a disconnect between the UCI rules designed for pro-cycling and the reality of amateur racing.

more likely between fun riding and amateur racing.

you never know if you are competing on a level playing field or not.

On Sunday I knew, and it wasn't level - there were bumps everywhere.

smiley4.gif

Is should not be too much hassle for the officials to weigh the bikes of riders who get podiums - it is usually a long wait till the prizegiving anyway.

Is should not be too much hassle for the officials to weigh the bikes of riders who get podiums - it is usually a long wait till the prizegiving anyway.

Good suggestion. Of course you just know that some guy is going to ask for the official calibration certificate if that scale says 6.795kg... And then the prizegiving will start even later.

Sean Badenhorst2008-09-16 12:55:56

Good suggestion. Of course you just know that some guy is going to ask for the official calibration certificate if that scale says 6.795kg... And then the prizegiving will start even later.
And dont forget that to really do it properley it should be in a glass enclosure at 20 C at 1013 mb! Big%20smile