Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

4 hours ago, Organic said:

For those who can't get past the news24 firewall:

https://www.2oceansvibe.com/2024/06/21/trail-runner-lucky-to-be-alive-after-knife-attack-on-signal-hill/

Trail Runner ‘Lucky To Be Alive’ After Knife Attack On Signal Hill

Read more: https://www.2oceansvibe.com/2024/06/21/trail-runner-lucky-to-be-alive-after-knife-attack-on-signal-hill/#ixzz8dmax1lEC

A Cape Town trail runner sustained several injuries when he fought back against two men who accosted him while running along Signal Hill.

Gardens local, Barry Smit, managed to rough up his attackers badly enough to scare them off, injuring his knee in the process.

“I put up a fight as best I could. I am just very lucky to be alive,” says Smit. “I was running along the footpath when suddenly these two guys with big knives jumped out of the bushes.”

Smit said a scuffle broke out as he tried to get one of them off of him.

“They made no threats or demands. I’m not entirely sure what they actually wanted, but they definitely were up to no good.”

“We tumbled and wrestled for about 20m down a slope of dead branches, and we eventually came to a stop. It was at this point I was able to pin him down with my right hand around his throat and put him into submission,” Smit said.

Smit says the attacker’s partner was above the pair, but ran off when he saw his buddy was getting roughed up.

“He begged me not to hurt him or break parts of his body when I had him held against a massive tree.”

“For some reason, I managed to take his shoes off and threw them in different directions. I think I was trying to make him as vulnerable as possible before I let him go,” Smit said.

After he let the attacker go, he realised his leg was badly injured and managed to get himself to the nearest Mediclinic facility.

Smit says that just before the attack he ran past a ‘dodgy looking guy’ who might have been a lookout for the thugs hoping to rob a cyclist or runner. Despite hearing about several incidents on the slopes of the mountain last year, Smit says he did not think it would ever happen to him.

“I don’t know where the strength came from, but I was not going to let anything fatal happen to me, so I put up a fight as best I could.

“I am just very lucky to be alive.”

Western Cape police spokesperson Sergeant Wesley Twigg said officers from Cape Town Central police station were investigating a robbery case.

“Initiatives such as awareness campaigns and integrated operations are conducted to provide a safe and secure environment for all inhabitants and visitors in and around Cape Town.

“We appeal to everyone who uses the mountain to walk in groups and to report incidents to the police,” said Twigg.

SANParks also cautioned visitors to remain vigilant at all times and report suspicious activities on 086 110 6417.

It’s still a jungle out there folks, take care of yourselves.

Read more: https://www.2oceansvibe.com/2024/06/21/trail-runner-lucky-to-be-alive-after-knife-attack-on-signal-hill/#ixzz8dmasDdEL

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/19/2024 at 9:24 AM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

We found a body at the entrance to the mtb trail a few months back as well, also stabbed and shot.

Which trail was this?

1 hour ago, nonky said:

“Initiatives such as awareness campaigns and integrated operations are conducted to provide a safe and secure environment for all inhabitants and visitors in and around Cape Town.

“We appeal to everyone who uses the mountain to walk in groups and to report incidents to the police,” said Twigg.

SANParks also cautioned visitors to remain vigilant at all times and report suspicious activities on 086 110 6417.

This does not say to me " We are trying everything we can to stop this nonsense" , it rather says to me "we are passing the buck to you to keep safe"

8 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

This does not say to me " We are trying everything we can to stop this nonsense" , it rather says to me "we are passing the buck to you to keep safe"

WELL said !!!  .... unfortunately ....

Was just reading an article on News24 about the kidnappings on Franschhoek pass, as well as one in Stellenbosch.

"We urge people to not ride alone..."

"Dont ride during quiet times..."

Dammit .... it is so easy to police that pass !!!!!!!!!!  But rather stop visitors from coming to Franschhoek. YES, I AM a visitor when I cycle there and stop to support the local businesses.

kook my bloed nou sommer .... bl!ks3ms ....

PS - Apparently the police did arrest one suspect.

Edited by ChrisF

11 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Unfortunately, you are 100% correct.

I have engaged with the ratepayers / residents association (GP); and with both ward councillors (sea point and green point) -  the usual answer is that they have no jurisdiction over table mountain and cannot do anything

Local residents and private security do SH clean-ups from time to time but there's little more that they can do.    

To be fair, the homelessness problem along the Atlantic Seaboard is overwhelming the available resources and, for the most part, they do NOT want to be helped (rehab, shelter, halfway house etc). 

8 minutes ago, nonky said:

...... and, for the most part, they do NOT want to be helped (rehab, shelter, halfway house etc). 

THIS is where my sympathy dries up ....

We were involved with one of these projects last year, one of the rehab facilities.  "Eye opener" does not begin describe it.

Say no to help .... then attack people in the name of poverty .... Uhhhmmmmm .... :cursing:

Hoping this is the most appropriate thread. 

Thinking of moving to Klapmuts (southern Paarl/ northern Stellenbosch) to an estate near Piggly Wiggly. Does anyone know how safe it is to cycle to the various trails around the area, namely spice route and Paarl mountain, and then the trails at Knorhoek and Boschendal? 

anyone aware of issues with the Klapmuts low cost/ informal settlement close by?

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

We were involved with one of these projects last year, one of the rehab facilities.  "Eye opener" does not begin describe it.

Say no to help .... then attack people in the name of poverty .... Uhhhmmmmm .... :cursing:

Perhaps another perspective of the homeless issue might be useful... 

Watch it. Don't watch it...

Use it. Don't use it...

44 minutes ago, Mattman said:

Hoping this is the most appropriate thread. 

Thinking of moving to Klapmuts (southern Paarl/ northern Stellenbosch) to an estate near Piggly Wiggly. Does anyone know how safe it is to cycle to the various trails around the area, namely spice route and Paarl mountain, and then the trails at Knorhoek and Boschendal? 

anyone aware of issues with the Klapmuts low cost/ informal settlement close by?

Most of my longer rides pass through Klapmuts.

Never had issues with the people.

Just super careful and alert around Potbelly !!!   Lots of serious accidents at the entry to Potbelly.

LOTS of cyclists in this area, both road and MTB. 

Enjoy 👍

On 6/22/2024 at 1:16 PM, firewolf said:

Another cyclist doored.  Apx. 30 min ago. Beach Rd and St John's Sea Point South bound. Taken to hospital. Adult male. ( all I can say)

Just how bloody difficult can it be to check nothing is approaching before you open a door, it's literally half a second or less for crying out loud.

9 hours ago, marko35s said:

Just how bloody difficult can it be to check nothing is approaching before you open a door, it's literally half a second or less for crying out loud.

If I look at the road carnage I think there are many who don't even know they are supposed to drive on the left..........leave alone opening a door without looking first🤪

58 minutes ago, DJR said:

If I look at the road carnage I think there are many who don't even know they are supposed to drive on the left..........leave alone opening a door without looking first🤪

On Sunday I was nearly taken out twice.

Cars totally oblivious to lanes ... just glide across multiple lanes.

And this while I was in my car !!!  

Cars dont respect other cars, never mind cyclists or pedestrians.

SAFETY FIRST ... ride to survive !!!!! 

For heaven's sake, dont rely on others to obey basic road rules ...

PS - YES, many (possibly even most) car drivers are considerate.  Some even drive without a cell phone in one hand.  

I think the problem is this - you probably pass / get passed by 1000 cars in a quick Saturday morning ride. If 99% of them are considerate, careful, awake drivers, you still get 10 morons that are going to kill you. And even though I did not go out on Saturday due to feeling unsafe - given the amount of cycling happening on a weekend there are not really THAT many incidents (every single incident is too much, don't get me wrong). We are dealing with some outliers people here that need to be stopped.

These morons probably struggle with basic reading, let alone driving a car on roads with various distractions. Any solution that does not deal with these people does not really make a difference. So what options do you have?

1. Separate areas for cycling / walking / driving and POLICE this. The nice little cycling lane separate from the road on Main Rd in Green Point is great, but even though very well marked, most walkers / runners seem to prefer the cycling lane. And the chances of us getting more of these are very slim anyway - maybe a nice aspirational goal.

2. Get people to follow the laws, which I think are pretty good if followed. This means when someone breaks them (I don't know, maybe almost killing someone while speeding drunk, or carelessly opening your door in front of a cyclist) this needs to be publically, quickly and harshly dealt with. At the moment there are very little consequences, and thus very little awareness.

I used to think cyclist behaviour was part of the problem, but come on. A bad cyclist wastes maybe 15 seconds of a law-abiding driver's time. A bad driver KILLS a cyclist. This is not equal.

On 6/21/2024 at 2:39 PM, ChrisF said:

Wonder what the follow up here was, where did they all go? Greenpoint tennis club tent city was evicted in Feb after a long legal battle.

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/green-point-tennis-court-squatters-evicted-i-blame-ourselves-for-the-eviction-1aa71a9b-633b-4cd9-9ff7-3e1e407fa495

pretty much sums up how complicated this is to fix

Nobuntu Gcumka, 37, said she understood why “white people did not want them in the area any longer”.

She said she had no other choice but to now find a place to squat in the townships.

“I agreed to the option of taking building material and placing it at my home in Gugulethu. I ran away from the township and now I am expected to go back there. I will take it, leave it there and then come back to Sea Point.

“I would rather sleep on the street because at home I won’t have a bed to sleep in and food. Here I get food at the garage, they give me a loaf of bread every day. I also get free clothes, which I end up selling.

“It would be better if the City gave us the material to use on the same ground or somewhere close to Sea Point and not in the township.

“I blame ourselves for the eviction, most of us are on drugs and we don’t sleep, we are showing the white people that we don’t respect them, so we deserve what is happening to us. We lost our minds and I have addressed the behavioural problem and said one day we are going to be evicted.”