Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

1 hour ago, milky4130 said:

I personally would avoid the section of this route just past Kraaifontein (the Waarburgh road section just after Kraaifontein) if I was you - there has been a few attempted attacks there and at least one successful mugging where people I know were attacked with pangas. That road is deceptively close to Wallacedene with easy access for criminals. I have also heard of attempted muggings where you cross the railroad from Kraaifontein into Joostenbergvlakte just before that section.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I personally would avoid the section of this route just past Kraaifontein (the Waarburgh road section just after Kraaifontein) if I was you - there has been a few attempted attacks there and at least one successful mugging where people I know were attacked with pangas. That road is deceptively close to Wallacedene with easy access for criminals. I have also heard of attempted muggings where you cross the railroad from Kraaifontein into Joostenbergvlakte just before that section.

How long ago was said incidents, I’ve done this route a good couple of times in the past couple of months?

19 hours ago, milky4130 said:

How long ago was said incidents, I’ve done this route a good couple of times in the past couple of months?

Attack happened last year - it was quite a violent incident

https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/cape-times/20210623/281565178724765

That road used to be part of my regular training route and by chance I came upon incident just after it happened. What particularly scared me was that this wasn't opportunistic but a carefully planned ambush 

Just before that there were 2 seperate incidents I was aware off where cyclists of my club were chased by thugs but managed to get away.

As I mentioned in my previous post, because it is a bit hidden by the N1 you actually don't realise how close that road is to Wallacedene and how easy it is to set up an ambush there.

If you do decide to take your chances just be vigilant and steer very wide of peeps loitering on the road.

Mate was robbed last night just after the start of Alphen Hill at 5:10pm, Just as the road turns left and goes up after the hotel. Taxi came from infront, cut them off, essentially boxed him in with the pavement, passenger got out with a gun, mate dropped his bike and ran across the road onto the grass area. Our other mate who was with him managed to turn around and bolted back down the hill.

2 other friends were further up the road just past the split and never saw the taxi so we assume the taxi came from the Hohenhoort side, straight up to the stop street, then straight over which is where they managed to block my mates. Scary part is i was supposed to be with them but I ran late as I had a puncture at home and had to change a tube first.

Same MO as the taxi attcaks on Spaansies so I believe it's too much of a coincidence and therefore it's the same taxi.

13 minutes ago, splat said:

Another incident on Table Mountain this morning.

Not much info on the group message unfortunately.

image.png.e88a92dd586a68efad185245f73594e5.png

the mountain was crazy busy this morning? was it a bike jacking? saw nothing that stood out... i do know there was an incident last week of a female runner than was mugged...

16 minutes ago, Meezo said:

the mountain was crazy busy this morning? was it a bike jacking? saw nothing that stood out... i do know there was an incident last week of a female runner than was mugged...

If the MO was to pepper spray the victim, thats the third one in as many weeks. This probably explains the SANPARKS bakkie speeding down Signal hill road at about 6:35am... too little too late sanparks!

The consistency of both this and the Constantia taxi muggings makes it really frustrating that these guys can't be "taken care of".😔

49 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Mate was robbed last night just after the start of Alphen Hill at 5:10pm, Just as the road turns left and goes up after the hotel. Taxi came from infront, cut them off, essentially boxed him in with the pavement, passenger got out with a gun, mate dropped his bike and ran across the road onto the grass area. Our other mate who was with him managed to turn around and bolted back down the hill.

2 other friends were further up the road just past the split and never saw the taxi so we assume the taxi came from the Hohenhoort side, straight up to the stop street, then straight over which is where they managed to block my mates. Scary part is i was supposed to be with them but I ran late as I had a puncture at home and had to change a tube first.

Same MO as the taxi attcaks on Spaansies so I believe it's too much of a coincidence and therefore it's the same taxi.

They are so brazen now, doesn't matter what time of the day it is or if you are in a group or not. Crazy.

11 minutes ago, MarcW said:

They are so brazen now, doesn't matter what time of the day it is or if you are in a group or not. Crazy.

this ^ .

My incident was just after 7am, with probably 50 cars in clear sight of where I rode, 2m from the actual tar, bunch of people walking to work, just these two decided to pull the gun. 

Very unpredictable scenario. 

This is total BS. We cannot let them win. How do we solve this? Or do we just accept the risk, ride in groups, avoid hotspots, be vigilant and carry on?

I was mugged two years ago. Its a k#k experience, and I got off very lightly, but this new trend of thugs pulling guns, pangas, etc. is very concerning. There must be something we can do? 

3 hours ago, karma said:

Just had 2 guys pull a gun on me here, grass section before the bridge heading into town: 

-33.91987325503005, 18.456054228030975

Was lucky to evade them but be careful. 

was that ON marine drive on your way back from town right after getting out of the N1 ?

Sorry man..

10 minutes ago, Jbr said:

was that ON marine drive on your way back from town right after getting out of the N1 ?

Sorry man..

into town yes.