Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

On 12/19/2022 at 7:14 AM, Jbr said:

not everyone is on forums/whatsapp groups etc etc.

AND

it must never be victim's fault if they are attacked

This is what is happening  more and more. The frog in the boiling water in full swing. Def not the victim being stupid and/or asking for trouble! 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What really frustrates me about this whole safety situation is that the stolen stuff (be it bicycles, parts, equipment) obviously gets circulated amongst “us”. In contrat to other stolen goods (generally speaking), it only has value to fellow cyclists… we need to ask ourselves how we stop that market from existing. 

7 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:After a few phone calls to a few not so nice people, the bike was eventually recovered in Salt River from a known buyer who pays between R1000 and R2000 for a bike, the victim had to pay R1000 to get his bike back!! 

Imagine having to pay to get your own bike back because your own police service are so useless and they could literally catch the known buyer of stolen bikes but to them it's not a big deal. 

…known buyer…? THIS ONE CASE seems more ‘solvable’, with resources, and resolve, than say the ‘Mountain Mugger’, for example…

who knew HOW to get hold of ‘not so nice people’?

who paid whom for the hand-over of the stolen/returned bike…

and was a case opened prior to phone calls being made?

Chris

1 minute ago, Zebra said:

…known buyer…? THIS ONE CASE seems more ‘solvable’, with resources, and resolve, than say the ‘Mountain Mugger’, for example…

who knew HOW to get hold of ‘not so nice people’?

who paid whom for the hand-over of the stolen/returned bike…

and was a case opened prior to phone calls being made?

Chris

I wish I had the answers to the above questions as those are the very same questions I asked. Unfortunately as I said, I'm just the "messenger".

37 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I wish I had the answers to the above questions as those are the very same questions I asked. Unfortunately as I said, I'm just the "messenger".

That's what all runners say... I don't trust you. 

👀

2 hours ago, TheAntoine1 said:

Def not the victim being stupid and/or asking for trouble! 

So going for a ride through Lavender Hill and Mannenberg is totally acceptable, and should the cyclist be attacked they have no part to play in the turn of events? The fact that they could have avoided the whole mess by not riding there should be discounted, because that would imply stupidity on the victims behalf which is not acceptable?

Is that what you're saying?

6 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So going for a ride through Lavender Hill and Mannenberg is totally acceptable, and should the cyclist be attacked they have no part to play in the turn of events? The fact that they could have avoided the whole mess by not riding there should be discounted, because that would imply stupidity on the victims behalf which is not acceptable?

You comparing lavender hill and contermanskloof road?

😏

4 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Going for a ride wherever - its normal perform a risk evaluation of the ride prior to setting out - time of day, people riding group, day of week, previous incidents, effective neighbourhood watches etc

Some people have vastly different views on where is safe. Personally Ive been many times all over Lavender Hill on a scooter, road bike and car. Never had an incident and will probably go many more times.

Its not stupid to differ from your outlook of risk.

8 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

21 hours ago, babse said:

You comparing lavender hill and contermanskloof road?

😏

Are they that different? 

Gangsterism aside, Contermanskloof road is within sight of Dunoon, and there have been many incidents there in the last couple of years, especially after the lockdown expansion.

I live in Sunningdale and drive past Dunoon just about daily and I've seen so many bad things there just from my car I that don't bat an eyelid anymore. 

The last bad scene was a dead guy lying on the sidewalk by the traffic lights with his head bashed in by a rock.

The point I'm trying to convey is that the area is unsafe. There's no point trying to argue differently. That said, folks still ride in the vicinity. Folks also still often get bike jacked there. I used to ride past Dunoon every other Saturday, but no more.

Do I believe riding there is foolish? Yes. Will I help someone when I see them being attacked? Yes. Do I think they could have chosen better places to ride? Yes.

At the end of the day, people must do whatever they think is wise. Riding within visual distance of Dunoon is not wise in my estimation, but hey, whatever.

21 hours ago, TheAntoine1 said:

Going for a ride wherever - its normal perform a risk evaluation of the ride prior to setting out - time of day, people riding group, day of week, previous incidents, effective neighbourhood watches etc

Some people have vastly different views on where is safe. Personally Ive been many times all over Lavender Hill on a scooter, road bike and car. Never had an incident and will probably go many more times.

Its not stupid to differ from your outlook of risk.

I respect your view, and my example might be somewhat extreme but I do believe that riding near a crime hotspot is not very wise.

For instance, driving on the N2 past Kayelitsha, Nyanga, Macassar etc. is also a known risk in Cape Town. I don't blame drivers when they get attacked there, but I do think there are better options available. I also acknowledge that sometimes people don't have the luxury of choice, but that doesn't mitigate the risk involved. It just heightens the chance they fall victim themselves. In those cases, I would hope the system doesn't fail them.

Got this on one of our whatsapp groups. Dont have anymore info. Just that it happened today.

"Hi all, just a heads up... we were 2 cyclists gunpointed today at about 1pm at Kayamandi outside Stellenbosch. Road was busy with traffic in both directions and it didnt bother them. Luckily only a cellphone taken. It happens faster than you think. Be vigilant and take care out there."

12 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Do I think they could have chosen better places to ride?

Better places/options/times are seemingly becoming fewer and fewer ... ☹️

38 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Better places/options/times are seemingly becoming fewer and fewer ... ☹️

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't used that road in over a year since there are alternatives that aren't bad so just not worth the risk :

image.png.0403748cffb070e41c77c2df26791f77.png

I wish we were so lucky this side with alternatives to riding through dunoon on Malimbongwe (we do have alternatives, but pretty *** ones)

On 1/3/2023 at 6:02 AM, firewolf said:

Was just pulled of my bike main road Kenilworth.  4 youngsters. One grabbed my handle bars. I went down hard!  Thief tried to ride away but chain was off. Luckily a vehicle with workers turned to give chase.  Retrieved bike in Wetton and Main. Thief had run away. Bike messed up. 

Sorry to hear that.
Glad to hear that your bike was returned.  Well done to those who gave chase.

I live in Kenilworth, so am interested to hear when this happened (what time of day) and where along the Main Rd ?

Morning Splat.

It's a bit technical; it's right on the Kenilworth/Wynburg border. Just after Wetton Road intersection. Left hand side direction town. Four males walking away from me. No obvious body language. (If that's even possible) At last second one spun around, jumped and grabbed my handle bar. His pulling and my momentum caused me to fall hard on my right side. He tried to escape. Chain was off, handle bar bent. So he fell! Other 3 ran in diff directions. I tried to chase bike bike running in cycling shoes don't work! By this time he was freewheeling to cnr of Wetton rd. A vehicle with Woolies staff (all males) turen to give chase. According to them he must have realized it wasnt gonna happen, he threw the bike 1 way and ran the other way. The woolies guys returned the bike. And get this: Anwar the driver, collected me on his return trip and gave me a lift home!!! Surreal experience. I have been uneasy about that stretch for awhile.. Will definitely avoid it going forwards.

Edited by firewolf
Info