Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it safe to cycle from Brackenfell to Helshoogte vja Bottelary?

Is it safe to cycle from Brackenfell to Helshoogte via Bottelary?

No need to repeat yourself.....there is a reason why it is sometimes referred to as SLAAPSTAD!!   :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I should have posted this earlier. :blush:

Avonwood Ave (Elsies River) between Norwood and Jan van Riebeeck Drive, direction East.

A single assailant f@#khead tried to hit/stab me with an object(I didn't ask him what it was) which looked like a knife. Fortunately I was vigilant and he was babelas/high, so I manage to swerve and outsprint him. I just thought it was a random opportunist. This happened 3 Sundays ago.

Well it seems like he returned with back-up this morning as 5 guys attacked 2 of my ride buddies at the same spot. :cursing:  Fortunately they managed to get away, with some damage, but unhurt. It seems like these sh!ts of society have started taking note of our group's ETA at this spot. Looks like they haven't smoked up all their braincells just yet. :cursing:

Edited by ThaStig

Jan Smuts, direction North, between Spes Bona high school and the N2. Unsafe during the early hours.

I experienced an attempted bike-jacking last year March across from Beyerskloof.

Conditions: 6H15 - dark - alone (got way no harm done)

Since then I often ride to Franschoek down Brackenfell-Bottelary-Kromme Rhee-Helshoogte with no issue.  

• 3 weeks later...

Woodstock Lower Main Road

Hi Fellow Hubbers and Cyclists.

Yesterday a group of 5 of us were nearly ambushed at the corner of lower main road,Malta and Albert Road in Woodstock.

A soccer ball was dropped from one of the balconies to distract us from the 2 bricks which had been strategically placed in the cycling lane. The first 4 of us missed it however the last one hit the one brick and was lucky to not come off his bike a slam into the poles along the side of the pedestrian sidewalk. We all stopped to assist and then noticed two suspicious looking characters at the scene.

A few girls said we must look up to the balcony, sort of warning us.

Thank you to the cyclist on the black canondale left for coming back to make sure we were ok.

Be alert and aware at all times on the road.

• 4 weeks later...

I got an, so far unconfirmed, report that there was two separate attacks on cyclist's on the Spes Bona road this morning.

I got an, so far unconfirmed, report that there was two separate attacks on cyclist's on the Spes Bona road this morning.

From Rudi Keet- Please take note

I cycled alone this morning from Durbanville (Wellington road) to loop through Spes Bona and back on Adderley road. Around 5h30 and about 50 meters before the Spes Bona road turn off a guy attacked me with a brick. The attack was without warning or any demands for money or valuables. He waited until I was right next to him before he launched a brick at me and immediately he continued to throw a second and third stone whilst I was speeding away. I don’t know if he was alone, but luckily I was able to stay on the bike and got away with only bruised ribs whilst his 2nd and 3rd attempt missed me.

Please be warned never to ride alone in the dark and specifically around that area. It happens quickly, without warning and it could’ve been a lot worse.

There was an attempted mugging on a cyclist on the cycle lane leaving town yesterday afternoon around 5:30/45pm. Three bad guys and within very close proximity of the Woodstock Mycity bus station

Jan Smuts, direction North, between Spes Bona high school and the N2. Unsafe during the early hours.

Damn that suck, I have been contemplating going thru there to pinelands on my lonely rides, guess I will steer clear 

Get a group of riders to go out armed with a firearm.

When they get approached, fire a few rounds off at their feet to make them dance.

Will freak them out for a while.

We need to fight fire with fire.

At around 11.00am this morning the Metro cops were removing all shelters built next to FW De Klerk Boulevard between WOMAG and the Lower Church St bridge as well as along the cycle lane.I hoped that the "bos slapers" would leave and that it would be safer along the cycle lane ,but they are back this afternoon.Be careful out there!!!

• 3 weeks later...

At around 11.00am this morning the Metro cops were removing all shelters built next to FW De Klerk Boulevard between WOMAG and the Lower Church St bridge as well as along the cycle lane.I hoped that the "bos slapers" would leave and that it would be safer along the cycle lane ,but they are back this afternoon.Be careful out there!!!

Read my story!! Stay away from the cycle lane!!!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/stolenbikes/187-s-works-tarmac-sl3-2011/