Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

............Where is everybody??

I stopped using it because of a safety worry.

Then they started patrolling it, and I started using it again, then they stopped patrolling and people got mugged again........and I stopped  using it and they started patrolling it again.........sometimes just for a few days........and the whole process repeated itself........a couple of years later now..........I'm wiser/more cynical and I will stay away unless I ride in a bigger group.

A few cops doing a pr stunt no longer make me feel safe! They will have to prove their worth longer term before I'll reconsider. And sort out the homeless/squatter issue in the area, fix the fences and clean up the mess in some parts. Otherwise it is a fail in my opinion. :(

Kudos to the PPA for engaging the City of Cape Town though. I hope they give them/the politicians hell! They deserve it for wasting such a great route through neglect! :cursing:

(I'm obviously more grumpy than I should be.......off to go ride my bike to get better!)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is probably the same way i feel atm. the damage has been done.

I'll start using it when i see there is consistent policing. i know it goes both ways though...if i dont use it they'll stop patrolling....but they have been inconsistent with there patrols according to this and many other sources. as luck would have it...the one day i feel fine using it...is the day they decide it wasn't necessary anymore an I get mugged.

Since the last spate of muggings there has been a constant and decent law enforcement presence along this route during the work week. I am not sure what it is like on a weekend though.

Three patrol cars on the Bus route between Zoar vlei and Woodstock on Sunday morning .They close one gap ,the problems move .They cannot be everywhere.Druggies shooting up at The Cenotaph in full view of tourists as well as **** on the steps.In the Gardens there is graffiti on the War Memorial.Depressing!! 

Can anyone comment on the safety of this part that goes through Atlantis on Sunday mornings?

post-50868-0-38482900-1565015003_thumb.jpg

Can anyone comment on the safety of this part that goes through Atlantis on Sunday mornings?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

They have a saying in that part. It goes like this;

"Etlêntis maak djou flênters"

My wife works in Neil Hare road. She vouches for the same.

Morning,

I would like to start commuting from Muizenberg to Salt River Circle.

Not too keen on just going up Main Road. I road cycle and MTB.

The crux is between Constantia and Salt River.

Is it safe to do the Constantia Nek - above Kirstenbosch - to UCT off-road path by yourself in the mornings and evenings?

Is there anyway of "dropping down" from just past Rhodes Mem to Salt River without cross Dewaal Drive, or is the only crossing the pedestrian bridge at UCT / Windmill Cottage?

All advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Cheers.

Morning,

I would like to start commuting from Muizenberg to Salt River Circle.

Not too keen on just going up Main Road. I road cycle and MTB.

The crux is between Constantia and Salt River.

Is it safe to do the Constantia Nek - above Kirstenbosch - to UCT off-road path by yourself in the mornings and evenings?

Is there anyway of "dropping down" from just past Rhodes Mem to Salt River without cross Dewaal Drive, or is the only crossing the pedestrian bridge at UCT / Windmill Cottage?

All advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Cheers.

You can also go under Dewaal Drive via Princess Anne Ave which goes into Klipper Road and then go along Main Road to Salt River.

We used to come from Table View / Salt River / Main Road and up Klipper to ride up Roads to the Blockhouse ... so this would just be in reverse for you.

This is the route to use I would suggest.

You can also go under Dewaal Drive via Princess Anne Ave which goes into Klipper Road and then go along Main Road to Salt River.

We used to come from Table View / Salt River / Main Road and up Klipper to ride up Roads to the Blockhouse ... so this would just be in reverse for you.

................Is there anyway of "dropping down" from just past Rhodes Mem to Salt River without cross Dewaal Drive, or is the only crossing the pedestrian bridge at UCT / Windmill Cottage?.............

You can also cross the M3 under the Woolsack Drive / M3 road bridge. There is a cycle / pedestrian route that starts in on of the UCT parking areas below the Sports Centre. It is part of the UCT "blue" (safe) route that links upper and lower campus and it is monitored with cameras 24/7. It ducks under the road bridge and you end up on middle campus from where you can cross Woolsack drive on a pedestrian or a road bridge towards Salt River. From there you have several options avoiding Main Rd as far as the N2 crossing, where there is no alternative but to use Main rd.

Edit: If you ride the cycle path next to the M3, your quickest route through this area is to keep going right through UCT upper campus, out the other side, cross the M3 pedestrian bridge, down Rhodes Ave to Main rd etc. The above takes a few extra minutes, but is nice if you are not in a hurry. The M3 pedestrian bridge area is now quite safe. There is a permanent security guard stationed there, except at night, because it is a route many students take.

Edited by DJR

This sh!tty cycle lane almost caused a bad ending to an otherwise epic weekend (Bainskloof Rush). Proof this city is just reactive and not proactive with stuff like this.

Screw the cycle lane...wont use it ever again unless they do something permanent to ensure it is safe.

a whole bunch of us rode roughly 200km each along varying routes on open roads to Bainskloof and back -  without a single incident.....just to be let down by that piece of crap cycle lane in woodstock again.

One of the guys who returned on Saturday almost got bike jacked going through there on the way home. Luckily still had uber legs left after the ±100km from Bainskloof and could power away even though they got hold of his jersey and tore it. Guess the useless council was on long weekend...

consistent vigilante mob justice...thats the only way - i'm telling you guys. They must feel as unsafe to live there as we do riding through there. The day someone gets killed there i swear i'll head in there on the back of a bakkie and burn everything that does not say city of cape town on it somewhere...

:cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

This sh!tty cycle lane almost caused a bad ending to an otherwise epic weekend (Bainskloof Rush). Proof this city is just reactive and not proactive with stuff like this.

Screw the cycle lane...wont use it ever again unless they do something permanent to ensure it is safe.

a whole bunch of us rode roughly 200km each along varying routes on open roads to Bainskloof and back -  without a single incident.....just to be let down by that piece of crap cycle lane in woodstock again.

One of the guys who returned on Saturday almost got bike jacked going through there on the way home. Luckily still had uber legs left after the ±100km from Bainskloof and could power away even though they got hold of his jersey and tore it. Guess the useless council was on long weekend...

consistent vigilante mob justice...thats the only way - i'm telling you guys. They must feel as unsafe to live there as we do riding through there. The day someone gets killed there i swear i'll head in there on the back of a bakkie and burn everything that does not say city of cape town on it somewhere...

:cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

What time of day and what specific section?

What time of day and what specific section?

probably around 3-4pm. if I go by the time he sent a warning to the rest of the guys returning on the group. And the usual spot (see below)....

post-64325-0-86254300-1565596823_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Too quiet along there at that time and these guys are brave after partaking in Alc or tik.When quiet rather ride on the bus lane( more space) or take FW De Klerk