Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

Morning everyone.

I went past the road block on Solomon this morning.
Seems SAPS actually got hold of some stolen bikes.

Message that was forwarded on our cycling group:
"Heads up everyone, there's a huge police roadblock on Solomon Mahlango near Glen Village and they recovered stolen mountain bikes from a truck (too many to count!). If you know of anyone who recently lost a bike, they should enquire at SAPS"

@Spinnekop if you hear anything further, will you please send details viz which police station etc? We got bikejacked a short while back.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Dusty said:

@Spinnekop if you hear anything further, will you please send details viz which police station etc? We got bikejacked a short while back.

Will keep ears to the ground.
Gut feel it will be at Boschkop police station.  But I might be wrong

Info received from one of the club mates that was at SAPS is that the bikes found were the bikes of illegal immigrants that were arrested.  Not stolen bikes necessarily.  

17 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Info received from one of the club mates that was at SAPS is that the bikes found were the bikes of illegal immigrants that were arrested.  Not stolen bikes necessarily.  

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.citizen.co.za/rekord/news-headlines/2023/11/05/elderly-pretoria-cyclist-in-icu-after-stabbing-during-robbery/

Elderly Pretoria cyclist in ICU after stabbing during robbery

Doctors have told the family the man was lucky to be alive as the blade missed his aorta artery by 2mm.

Freddy Strydom, a 57-year-old cyclist, is fighting for his life in ICU after being brutally stabbed in the back by criminals who stole his bicycle.

The Midstream Estate resident was cycling with a group of 12 others when three men pounced on him between the R21 and M18 in Centurion on Saturday morning.

According to Strydom’s daughter Rene Le Grange, the robbers knocked Strydom, who was at the back of the group, off his bicycle and stabbed him before fleeing with his bicycle.

Le Grange said the other cyclists heard screams and they turned back only to find Strydom on the ground and bleeding. She said the cyclists then saw three men running into the bushes with the bicycle.

An ambulance was called but due to the remote route they were cycling on the ambulance couldn’t reach them. “Fortunately, one cyclist went back to fetch his bakkie which he used to transport my father to the hospital,” she said.

She said she received the news from her mother who was alerted by the cyclists.

Strydom was stabbed with a big self-made blade at about half an arm’s length mid back next to his spine creating an eight cm laceration.

“He is currently in a stable condition in ICU. He has a drainage pipe attached to drain the internal bleeding,” Le Grange said.

She added that he was undergoing surgery to repair the internal damage.

“My mother had to fly back from Cape Town so that she can take care of him once he is discharged from hospital.”

Freddy Strydom. Photo: Supplied
Le Grange said the surgeon treating his father has revealed that the Strydom was extremely lucky to be alive.

“The surgeon explained that the blade missed my father’s main aorta artery by a mere two millimetres.

We are all worried and very scared as we do not know how his body fully recover from internal injuries and he is not young, so there are always worries about recovery.”

She said her whole family was scared and distraught because of this incident.

Le Grange told Rekord that she was told that the attack on his father was the second of the morning as another victim was also reported attacked and had his bicycle taken in the same spot.

On 11/6/2023 at 10:56 AM, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

This was a group of 12, so not even safety in numbers anymore.

Are there any safe places left to cycle ?

This was only 1 of 3 incidents in that area on Saturday. Please do not ride this road or offroad section.

Edited by ycowley

28 minutes ago, ycowley said:

This was only 1 of 3 incidents in that area on Saturday. Please do not ride this road or offroad section.

Where exactly is that area? Article not very clear

If anyone has more detailed info as to the location, of the incident reported and any info of the others also please share?

image.png.155d68f0e6c2524d7394099f1a3d3356.png

49 minutes ago, ycowley said:

what were the other 2 incidents. Some details please.

On 11/6/2023 at 10:56 AM, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

This was a group of 12, so not even safety in numbers anymore.

Are there any safe places left to cycle ?

Indoors :oops:

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

what were the other 2 incidents. Some details please.

All 3 incidents are similar in nature.

2 were at the area mentioned above. Last cyclists (dropping off the pace a bit) gets isolated. Walkers suddenly pull out a firearm or knife and hold up the cyclist. They then lure the other cyclists to come back and hold them up as well. They take bicycles, cell phones, wallets, watches, etc. Normally at least one cyclist is injured.

Another incident, similar to above was near St Georges Hotel in Irene