Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

So much for riders not wanting to carry because it might escalate the situation. Well, it had already been taken up a notch by the criminals. They care buggerall for our lives and will not hesitate to kill us to take our bikes.

Condolences to the family.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for riders not wanting to carry because it might escalate the situation. Well, it had already been taken up a notch by the criminals. They care buggerall for our lives and will not hesitate to kill us to take our bikes.

What is wrong with you. Show some sympathy man, jeez.

Condolences to the family and friends, this is terrible.

Moridin, I am afraid that this is a short-sighted sentiment, which will get most other cyclists in trouble if you and those who agree with your viewpoint around cycling with guns are ever in the unfortunate situation where you need the gun, and lose the fight.

Once the criminals figure out that cyclists now have guns in addition to all our phones, watches, high end electronics, bikes etc.

Well, you figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up 

Friend of mine got attacked with crowbar 3 december at Delmas road in east of pta close to the engen garage, took his phone bike and camelback. Hit him from behind and broke his helmet...

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, just wondering if it's 'safe' to ride on Graham(M6) and (R631)Boschkop road?(ref pic). Is the road in decent condition for a road bike? How is the traffic? I'm from Benoni so Id likely use the R25 to access these roads to do a loop and back, it could be round about 90-100km round trip.

Unfortunately I ride solo(not by choice), as not riding solo would mean not riding at all. Does anyone have experience in this area? I work flexible hours during the week so I'd likely do this route around 9-10am on some weekdays and 6-7am on weekends.

Thanks.c4e322e719e7ec3244d0b3f3f778b4db.jpg

Many Pretoria East cyclists use that as their staple loop. You'll find many other cyclists on this road at times, but it can be quiet. I recall one incident with MTB's some time ago, but nothing as of late. Perhaps Spinnekop can provide more recent feedback, I haven't been out that way for a few weeks.

The route is used often and I would say it a generally safe.. However there is always a risk when going out alone. Big trucks and cars don’t exactly stick to the speed limit on those roads, there isn’t any shoulder, so be careful.

I only ride the route with the club and with the backup vehicle. But then I only have time to ride with the club.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, how safe is the Klapperkop area after last year's incidents? Has it improved? Wondering if I can go back to training there. Will it be safe to go on my own?