Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

GROENKLOOF
Yesterday morning I was attacked by 3 BM's armed with knives within the reserve.
Thankfully they didn't take my bike, but took everything else I had.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GROENKLOOF
Yesterday morning I was attacked by 3 BM's armed with knives within the reserve.

GROENKLOOF

Sorry to hear and glad you still have your bike and are unharmed.  Would you be able to give more info?  Time of day, maybe put a mark on a map maybe please.

Maybe we should all (PTA) chip in a put up an enormous sign outside Groenkloof warning that it isn't safe anymore. Danger!!! It seems like people just aren't getting the memo.

I'm sure there will be the die hard people who think they are tough enough, and will "show them", and "not let the government/municipality/police" win but they they are free to sort it out with Darwin. I mean it would at least help to some extent protect the people who aren't on BikeHub who just don't know and are walking into that place blindly. 

I'm not saying all the other great initiatives to make it safe again must stop, its just that it isn't working right now.

Received on running wa group, robbed apparently: 

Update: 1 shot was fired at a lady jogger cnr Hendrik Verwoerd & Theuns Van Niekerk st. 

White vehicle involved, no further info on the vehicle.
Lady seems to be OK.
Edited by Pieter-za

• 2 weeks later...

Stay off Klapperkop folks. Another attack there this morning. One guy had a rock thrown at his face causing serious damage AFTER cellphones were stolen. Another cyclists noticed knife marks on his helmet after the attack.

Unfortunately, this is now a regular occurrence at Klapperkop. I had a meeting last Sunday with the three security companies Brinant, CSI and Axxon involved with trying to make the area safer and they have undertaken to comeback to us with a proposal. What is currently happening is that the security guys are present from 7 till around 9 am and the attacks are happening after they leave. I have asked that they give us a schedule so that we can adjust our riding times to this. Please bear in mind that they're currently doing this free of charge as a community service but have no obligation to do this. It might be that we will have to establish a fund to compensate them to make this a commitment, I will let you know.

• 3 months later...

I was chased by 2 BMs wielding knifes, had a bit of sprint training this morning!  Managed to out sprint them but was a little too close for comfort.  

Area: Centurion, Lenchen ave, (the new road and bridge over the rietspruit river) -25.87584023056238, 28.121327051582103

I was coming down ruimte rd, turned left into lenchen they came out of the trees just after the bridge as the climb starts.

In hindsight I was not watching around me but head down preparing to climb, luckily I heard the running foot steps, pulled away faster than Brad Binder!

Stay safe guys!

I was chased by 2 BMs wielding knifes, had a bit of sprint training this morning!  Managed to out sprint them but was a little too close for comfort.  

Area: Centurion, Lenchen ave, (the new road and bridge over the rietspruit river) -25.87584023056238, 28.121327051582103

I was coming down ruimte rd, turned left into lenchen they came out of the trees just after the bridge as the climb starts.

In hindsight I was not watching around me but head down preparing to climb, luckily I heard the running foot steps, pulled away faster than Brad Binder!

Stay safe guys!

Luckily you had enough time to react.

That's why its so important to never become complacent and always watch and check expecting the worst, a few seconds can make the difference between life & death.

Stay safe guys!

I stay in one of the estates up the road, there has been a number of incidents down there as a lot of people use to play with their RC cars and MX bikes down there over weekends and then got mugged, usually at knife point. 

So sad that our movements are being restricted by criminals. 

• 1 month later...

Corner off Eddy street and Pitts street in Silverton Pretoria.

Three BM came running from the train tracks and intercepted us under gun point, phone was stolen.

I managed to evade them but they pinned my brother down to the ground and stole his phone.

please be vigilant and stay safe.

Corner off Eddy street and Pitts street in Silverton Pretoria.

Three BM came running from the train tracks and intercepted us under gun point, phone was stolen.

I managed to evade them but they pinned my brother down to the ground and stole his phone.

please be vigilant and stay safe.

I see that is actually more Weavind Park than Silverton.  Hope your brother is ok. Thanks for reporting.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cyclists and runners, please be aware that crime is rife in Centurion at the moment. Areas targeted in my direct residence: -

1. Olievenhoutsbosch Road

2. Nelmapius Road

3. Route 21 Corporate Park

There seems to be a gang driving around in a White VW Polo (no number plates). They are armed and dangerous. Apparently they are driving in front of runners and cyclists (very slowly like they are lost). They suddenly stop and 4 men jump out with guns. They are taking watches, jewelry, cell phones, bicycles and running shoes.

• 11 months later...

Just got word from a colleague that 2 cyclists were bike jaked on Midstream drive in Centurion this morning.
Close to where the wood is being sold next to the road.

Polo pulled up and 3 occupants jumped out and charged the two cyclist.
Bakkie pulled up a short while later to load the bikes.

Be carefull when riding around midstream, especially in smaller groups.

Approximate location:
https://goo.gl/maps/F1ehXzqZjB97JgYy9

Makes you wonder how many times and for how long these thugs have been doing this and what else they are up to. Hope they get caught as soon as possible.