Evan Andreou

It is apparently on the friends of groenkloof nature reserve facebook page

Edited by RABUBI

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, don't you think it's time to close down Groenkloof?

or

Only allow a group of 3+ people (containing 1XRecce or Special Forces member) on the trails.

I miss riding at GK and would love to ride there one day again. Just can't see it getting better any time soon.

It is getting a bit daft. They know they have a problem, why is there nothing being done about it?

I did read here somewhere that they want to develop GK into memorial/amusement/hotel park thing. Probably why nothing is being done?

I pass there on my commute, really longing to skip work and bash through there every time...

Edited by rickus_viljoen

heard there was another attack in groenkloof yesterday. two woman

Correct. For those without Facebook, here is the post:

So yesterday, 10th April 2016 my friend Saloshni Govender and I were hiking through the Groenkloof Nature Reserve on the White trail when we were accosted by 2 Black men and held at knifepoint. They stole our cellphones and planned to rape us. The one man had pushed me to the ground and pinned me there. The other had my friend and was feeling her up. We shouted so much I went hoarse. And above all we prayed to our respective Gods.... Who pulled through for us. (There is Grace in everything! Thank God. )

Somehow the one who was over me pulled back and they ran off. They even pulled the takkies off my feet which meant I walked the remainder of the trail in my socks.

What is horrifying is that this is not the first incident at the Groenkloof Nature Reserve. There have been muggings and rapes etc but they do not warn you to be careful.

The Rangers who drove us around the reserve said that the crimes were committed by homeless people living under the bridge.

I have done this hike many times with Karen and I have done the hike alone and with my children. I will never do this again - especially since we now got to see all the ways in which people could illegally enter the reserve. It is clearly not safe.

The police at Sunnyside say that they have the most muggings and rapes take place at the Voortrekker Monument. They had a rape today at the Monument.

So please just be cautious... We never expect these things to happen to us.

I have no info on the rape at the Monument. Not sure if it's true.....hopefully it's false  :thumbdown:

Edited by Hennie VR

Groenkloof should warn people that are unaware when they enter the property that these attacks are happening  as its a HUGE safety concern - they just keep letting people in knowing there is a riks - when will it action be taken by the police - when some one gets brutally murdered there ?

Edited by Heel Drop

Guys, don't you think it's time to close down Groenkloof?

or

Only allow a group of 3+ people (containing 1XRecce or Special Forces member) on the trails.

I miss riding at GK and would love to ride there one day again. Just can't see it getting better any time soon.

We have been working with the ward Councillor to arrange a meeting with the MMC (Member of the Municipal Council) so that we can discuss what they're doing to make GK safe. Whilst we have made great progress in terms of making Klapperkop safer the surrounding areas have been badly affected by crime (perhaps a case of cause and effect?). Our concern is that as less and less people frequent GK the criminals will move back to KK.

Unfortunately the polite way of asking for the attention of the politicians is proving to be less than successful as we keep being told that they are launching their manifestos for the upcoming elections or some other election related excuse. This morning I sent an email to the ward Councillor telling him that this latest attack is proof that we cannot wait for them and I will be putting together a petition to be followed up by protest. Hopefully I can get your support otherwise my efforts will amount to a lone voice squeaking in the dark!

Groenkloof should warn people that are unaware when they enter the property that these attacks are happening as its a HUGE safety concern - they just keep letting people in knowing there is a riks - when will it action be taken by the police - when some one gets brutally murdered there ?

Someone needs to put a massive sign up at Groenkloof warning everyone that they are taking a huge risk entering. It's just not worth it. Sad but true.

I'd chip in for said sign. It seems like the right thing to do at this point. Far too many people are innocently entering for a day of activity not knowing the real risks.

Edited by MrRoboto

I agree 1000%, only problem is they (management) will probably remove the sign, as it will affect takings @ the gate.

Reckon if you are on Twitter / FB / etc, reckon you owe it to your mates to make them aware of the risks & hopefully it spreads.

We can always retract it, when they have taken our safety seriously.

2c.

We have been working with the ward Councillor to arrange a meeting with the MMC (Member of the Municipal Council) so that we can discuss what they're doing to make GK safe. Whilst we have made great progress in terms of making Klapperkop safer the surrounding areas have been badly affected by crime (perhaps a case of cause and effect?). Our concern is that as less and less people frequent GK the criminals will move back to KK.

Unfortunately the polite way of asking for the attention of the politicians is proving to be less than successful as we keep being told that they are launching their manifestos for the upcoming elections or some other election related excuse. This morning I sent an email to the ward Councillor telling him that this latest attack is proof that we cannot wait for them and I will be putting together a petition to be followed up by protest. Hopefully I can get your support otherwise my efforts will amount to a lone voice squeaking in the dark!

Thank you for your effort, we can all sor behind our keyboards and moan, but it is guys like you that actually makes a difference. I am sure that the hub will rally and support your efforts, please keep us up to date, and again, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

yet another attack posted on facebook 

Hi all. Please avoid groenkloof nature reserv. My motherand I have been severely attackedand injuredthere yesterday. Stole cameras. Phones jewelleryCar keys everything. Tried to kill us. Attachedis with knifes.

yet another attack posted on facebook 

Hi all. Please avoid groenkloof nature reserv. My motherand I have been severely attackedand injuredthere yesterday. Stole cameras. Phones jewelleryCar keys everything. Tried to kill us. Attachedis with knifes.

The only good news out of this story is that two of the alleged perpetrators were caught by the staff of the Nature Reserve one still at large. This supports what we have suspected for sometime that the problem is related to an ineffective management.

The only good news out of this story is that two of the alleged perpetrators were caught by the staff of the Nature Reserve one still at large. This supports what we have suspected for sometime that the problem is related to an ineffective management.

If anything they will be out in a week... We need them to actively patrol the area. 

If anything they will be out in a week... We need them to actively patrol the area.

One of the his victims has indicated that she is going to sue the council for negligence so it might be that council has a vested interest in having him convicted.

• 2 months later...