Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

New attacks at Klapperkop and Groenkloof.... eish.

From Friends of Groenkloof fb page:

"We are aware of 4 attacks on Klapperkop during the past week. Two at viewpoint 1 (nearest to the R21) and two at viewpoint 5 (masts). And those are just the ones we are aware of. There have also been incidences at Fountains Circle and Groenkloof suburb. Please be careful."

However, seems the DA is taking this seriously.

"Shaun Wilkinson DA Robrecht Tryhou As discussed at our meeting with Rob King at Café 41 on 04.01.2017, I am totally committed to the safety and security of all the citizens, residents, tourists etc. that want to enjoy the Tshwane Gateway in the Fountains Valley, Groenkloof Nature Reserve and all the green spaces, public spaces, roads and suburbs.

As I indicated to you I am expecting to launch a Security Initiative in Ward 59 in the next few weeks and I believe this will go a long way to combating crime and curbing criminal activity.

Furthermore, I was very happy to hear that Rob has a firm commitment from the COT for fencing and the boom gates, gates and guard-houses on Fort Klapperkop and the fact that your association / society; Friends of Groenkloof Nature Reserve, are resolved to assist the COT with the management of the Klapperkop Nature Reserve and the Groenkloof Nature Reserve. 

Also, please keep me posted on your MOU / MOA that you are negotiating with the city. As offered previously, I wish to re-itterate, that I am totally committed to supporting your efforts as a "Friends of..." organisation. 

Let's keep up the energy and to kickstart these interventions and initiatives, taking into account all of our re-newed energy and vigour, I extend an invitation to the; Friends of Groenkloof Nature Reserve to a clean-up campaign at the Fountains Circle this coming weekend 15.01.2017
We will start at the entrance of the TUKS Groenkloof Campus and finish at the Fountains Circle, SE corner, where a lot of the alleged criminal activity in the area is launched from. Hope to see you and the friends and ALL other concerned and active-citizens there."

https://web.facebook.com/FriendsofGroenkloofNatureReserve/posts/1173796472655611

Edited by wiledog_x

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I can confirm that another attack has taken place on Klapperkop at Viewpoint 1 (first from R21 entrance) this morning. Two cars stopped for a bit of sightseeing and they were assaulted and stabbed. I got there about 30minutes after it happened and spoke to the police who responded a call (I believe it was a cyclist that assisted them). SAPS had very little information on the details so even mine are a bit sketchy. What I can confirm is that we have had six attacks in the reserve, in three of the incidents cyclists were involved and the other three were sightseers. I have had numerous discussions with Council regarding these attacks and these have been escalated to the MMC and expecting a statement on a plan of action any moment now. In particular we need a firm commitment on the timing on the installation of the access control and the permanent patrols for the area. I'm also pushing him for immediate security patrols during peak times.

Please ignore the reports from the Record who are reporting that these incidents took place in Groenkloof reserve these reports are incorrect and the good news is that we have had no incidents in Groenkloof since May last year. This indicates that the security plan is working in Groenkloof which suggests that we should be able to sort out Klapperkop if council simply execute their plan. In the meantime don't ride in Klapperkop on your own, I will keep you informed as to any progress made in terms of addressing the issue.

Edited by River Rat

• 1 month later...

Hi river rat, just wanted to say thanks for the work on groenkloof. It's still an amazing place to ride, we were there this morning and glad to see other people starting to come back.

Hi river rat, just wanted to say thanks for the work on groenkloof. It's still an amazing place to ride, we were there this morning and glad to see other people starting to come back.

Hey glad you could enjoy the ride again, trails are in need of a little TLC but as you say still a great place to ride. In fact we're on the trails tomorrow morning hopefully we see all six giraffe again!

• 4 weeks later...

I know River Rat usually posts news of these incidents here but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to have gotten round to it yet for this one. There was an incident yesterday in which he himself was involved, his fb post is as follows:

Klapperkop Attack this morning.

This morning at 9:20 I was riding with a group of 6 cyclists in Klapperkop, we were doing laps on and off road, after the second lap one of the ladies decided to head for home leaving two ladies , two gents and myself to continue with our training session. I have not been feeling safe in the reserve for some time and I suggested that instead of splitting up as we had that we stay together for the last lap. As per usual two of the riders Pieter and Anelda were slightly quicker on the climb and were about 200m ahead of us just as I was approaching viewpoint 1. That’s when 3 males attacked the two leaders, the one stood in front of Pieter forcing him to stop while the other set off after Anelda who managed to sprint away with her assailant chasing after her. I saw what was happening to Pieter who at this stage was fending off his knife wielding attacker with his bicycle. I have no illusions about the intent of his attacker, he was trying to stab him. This was not a simple robbery this guy was trying to kill him! What Pieter did not know that there was a third attacker coming up behind him and I managed to sprint towards the third guy who immediately bolted up towards the fort, which gave me an opportunity to turn on the Knifeman who quickly decided that he was no match for Pieter and myself without his accomplices, ( Anelda had managed to outsprint her assailant who slunk off into the bushes) the knifeman headed down the mountain in the direction of Herbert Baker.

The good news was that our community WhatsApp group was effective in alerting the CPF, Hi Risk and the community and the knifeman was apprehended in the reserve. The physical apprehension was performed by our heroic councillor Shaun Wilkinson DA assisted by Graham De Lange of Hi Risk.

Guys I am holding the council to account on this one and I have asked Shaun Wilkinson DA to assist. I have just fired off an email to the responsible council officials demanding that they deliver on their promises for access control and patrols in the reserve. I'll keep you posted on their response.

I know River Rat usually posts news of these incidents here but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to have gotten round to it yet for this one. There was an incident yesterday in which he himself was involved, his fb post is as follows:

Klapperkop Attack this morning.

This morning at 9:20 I was riding with a group of 6 cyclists in Klapperkop, we were doing laps on and off road, after the second lap one of the ladies decided to head for home leaving two ladies , two gents and myself to continue with our training session. I have not been feeling safe in the reserve for some time and I suggested that instead of splitting up as we had that we stay together for the last lap. As per usual two of the riders Pieter and Anelda were slightly quicker on the climb and were about 200m ahead of us just as I was approaching viewpoint 1. That’s when 3 males attacked the two leaders, the one stood in front of Pieter forcing him to stop while the other set off after Anelda who managed to sprint away with her assailant chasing after her. I saw what was happening to Pieter who at this stage was fending off his knife wielding attacker with his bicycle. I have no illusions about the intent of his attacker, he was trying to stab him. This was not a simple robbery this guy was trying to kill him! What Pieter did not know that there was a third attacker coming up behind him and I managed to sprint towards the third guy who immediately bolted up towards the fort, which gave me an opportunity to turn on the Knifeman who quickly decided that he was no match for Pieter and myself without his accomplices, ( Anelda had managed to outsprint her assailant who slunk off into the bushes) the knifeman headed down the mountain in the direction of Herbert Baker.

The good news was that our community WhatsApp group was effective in alerting the CPF, Hi Risk and the community and the knifeman was apprehended in the reserve. The physical apprehension was performed by our heroic councillor Shaun Wilkinson DA assisted by Graham De Lange of Hi Risk.

Guys I am holding the council to account on this one and I have asked Shaun Wilkinson DA to assist. I have just fired off an email to the responsible council officials demanding that they deliver on their promises for access control and patrols in the reserve. I'll keep you posted on their response.

Thanks Paul but I did manage to get the post in yesterday. Now we need to get the victims of the previous attacks to ID this guy.

Sobering news, we were on the hill the afternoon/evening prior  :(

Edited by bertusras

Copied from my other thread

Klapperkop Safety Update

After this week's ordeal in the reserve I am pleased to report that the City of Tshwane have taken action. This morning there were 6 Nature Conservation employees patrolling the reserve and this will continue until the access control kicks in. The target date for this is 7th April, after this the full security plan as tabled by the Council is expected to take effect and you can expect that access to the reserve will be controlled and the reserve will be closed off after dark. I will inform you once the entry process has been finalized, this will also be explained by signage to erected at the two entry points. We can thank Thinus Prinsloo of Nature Conservation for pulling out all stops and for dealing with my rather uncompromising attitude in a professional manner to give effect to this.

Of course the obvious question is whether Klapperkop is currently safe to ride or run in. Well I rode there this morning and pointed out the hotspots to the patrols. When I returned some 2 hours later they were diligent in making their presence felt at these areas. However, their current focus is on the road and viewpoints 1 and 2 in particular, which means that the off road trails are not being monitored to the same extent. It is reasonable to expect that their mere presence might deter any criminal trying their luck but there are no guarantees

Further, these are not trained security personnel but they are effectively the eyes and ears of what is happening in the reserve. This has proven to be extremely successful in the Groenkloof reserve and I see no reason why it should not work in Klapperkop once the access control is in place. In the meantime the best I can say is that the reserve is safer than it was on Friday.

On a personal note I would ask that if you do see the NC personnel in the reserve that we try and make them feel part of the community. It's not an easy task and I believe that a simple greeting and thank you will go a long way in terms of motivation

Just an update from the above

NC personnel will be on patrol from 6am to 6pm on weekends and holidays but only from 6am to 3 pm during the week. They are busy sorting out some shifts so expect this to change for the better.

• 8 months later...