Bike Weight

The Saint

73KG me and the bike. Going to show this thread to the wife who is complaining i am too thin!

Depends on what your bike weighs! Still a good idea!

Either way... she stops complaining about his weight, or lets him buy a lighter bikeBig%20smile

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than 80Kg's with the bike...

I think the Mrs needs to see this thread as well... After I'd lost 13Kg, she still insists that I'm getting too thin.

I'm 81Kg's - in my birthday suit.

Donner is dit 'n fiets site of midget anon??? LOL

Fiets is 7,5 kg met alle accesories op. Ek is 1,83 m en weeg seker so 81 kg.

Ek sal se 2 kg. gaan vir jou 'n groot verskil maak omdat dit 'n groot persentasie van die totale gewig is. Leen iemand se fiets vir 'n ride en jy sal gou agter kom.

Natuurlik sal jy seker  'n paar kilos optel as jy ophou rook.

Minimum bike weight allowed is 6.9kg's. Idea bike weight is 6,9kgs. Average bike weight is between 6.9kgs and 9 kgs. Anything more is your training bike.

Kona, is ur bike 6.9 with pedals etc.

I'll need to cut 200g off my bike Stern%20Smile .. and thats prob. going to be the most expensive weight to loose

man u dont wanna know about it, finally received it on tuesday (2 weeks after payment), and they sent it with a cheapscate FSA slk crank instead of the kforce lite i paid for. Yesterday i took it to westdene to take that crap off and put dura ace crank on. So needless to say, 3 WEEKS after my order i still have not been on the bike, but DAMN FELT rules, that thing is PRETTY WICKED. Bike haven in Cape Town will never see me again. Narra we might ride sat morning, the wife is moaning to go away but im keen to get on the bike (been 4 weeks since argus), will let u know if we do.

Minimum bike weight allowed is 6.9kg's. Idea bike weight is 6' date='9kgs. Average bike weight is between 6.9kgs and 9 kgs. Anything more is your training bike.[/quote']

Actually the minimum weight is 6.8kgs...

Actually the minimum weight is 6.8kgs...

And it makes a difference because why? The UCI is going to come to the next "funride" and weigh my bike? Unless you riding UCI sanctioned or should we say points scoring events, go as light as your budget and your wife will let you.

Rules are rules and anybody lighter than the minimum 6.8kg therefore is a cheat. Why should I race against someone who is dishonest.

At the Dome mtb race two people ahead of me took a shortcut ........ I hate cheats!

Steve, rules are rules, but the 6.8kg is a UCI rule.  It applies to UCI-sanctioned events, it does not apply to non-UCI events.

There are also UCI rules about where and how many numbers riders should display, what jerseys they ride in etc.

So, does your nose get out of joint every time you see somebody who is not a member of Discovery wearing a Discovery jersey, with a single number clipped on their back instead of one each side on the left and right?  Mebbe you should ride up to them and tell them how much you hate cheats.

If you take a short cut (literally or figuratively) and win, you cheat everybody.

If you take a shortcut (see above) and improve your position from 2,654th to 2,653rd you only cheat yourself.  As a weekend warrior I care about my time and an indication of where I finished.  1/3 of the way down or better in my start group and I am delighted.  A handful of wnakers who cheat will not impact on my enjoyment of the ride or pleasure at a good result (by my own standards). 

If you can afford to get your bike to 5kgs, and believe that it will still be strong enough to carry you, go right ahead and do it.  And if it's not a UCI event you are not cheating.