Government Law to be Introduced

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks SP but I sommer used the gas from my Oxy set . Works fine on the heater and it is 9kg !

LOL you guys make me laugh - bitch n moan every second day about the sh*tty conditions you have there, someone suggests a civilised idea and everyone starts swearing - Ooooo so typical Wink

Incase anyone decides to lecture me on the futility of life in SA... I understandWinkWink

I remember the more civilised days in SA (Ok granted for some it was civilised) when the local traffic cops would come and check all the bikes parked in the school shed (remember those ??) at home time and hand you a ticket if you did not have a disk.

The CIVILISED Swissies do it like this, you have to (not sure if its law, but everyone does anyway) have a VELO VIGNETTE (see below) which is a sticker and costs +/- 6 Franks. This is a 3rd party insurance sticker more than anything else and not a license as such but it has its benifets in that you can rest assured if you ride into someonelse you are insured for their damages. For an extra 20 Franks you can insure your bike as well (but only up to about +/- 2000 Franks.

The portion on the lower RH side is detached and stuck onto your frame, small enough to be stuck out of site, the rest you keep at home.

You can even use it to find your bike if you manage to loose it or someone borrows it but does not bring it back, has space for your contact details and the ref number  on the sticker can be registered with a lost n found service..

20070523_081814_velomarkeklein1.jpg 

Mooi huh

swiss, i'd be more than happy to have that and pay for it if i come over for a visit because there would be value to it. that is why i say, if i'm going to get a service of any sort in return i'd pay for it here. i did so with pleasure as a kid (yes folks, i paid for my own little licence back in the 70's using my pocket money!). it's just that now there is no value to it.

Agree with you Slowpoke - i just wish you ou's would do something about it so that one day when i come back all is sorted and working properly again... Angry

Okay, let us license all bicycles, including kids bikes.  It makes sense.  Yes having balance of third party insurance is good.  A bike of income ext.  Just make sure that the administrative process costs are covered by the license fees.  VERY GOOD IDEA

BUT

the point Popeye was making is that Cycling as a sport should be controlled by these licenses, which is a bad idea.  Just because you use a bike to get from point A to point be does not mean that you are a recreational or competitive cyclist.  THe two are not mutually inclusive.  VERY VERY VERY bad logic there Popeye.

Also why would the minister of sport want to be bothered with the minister of transports responsibility?  Not his problem.  Furthermore controlling bicycles does not control cycling as a sport.  SORRY it does not.  If the mionister of transport feels that cyclists (commuters) need to be controlled than I can see the licensing issue being implemented.

But from a sport side, its to much government effort to sort out white middle class bitching and moaning about a sport that is of NO interest to their primary consistency.

Best Advice:  do it yourself.  Cyclesure does my insurance.

Firstly, Minister of Sport issue the Law to Government that he is now imlementing a Licencing System to Control cycling and cyclist in SA.

Than that dark brown file gets a red rubber stamp and it said

Please deliver to Minister of Transport, with copies to Minister of Police and Minister of Local Government (the spietkops people)

Julle ry R20,000 se wiele, R40,000 se bicycles en julle *** en kerm oor 'n R50 - R100 per jaar lisensie. Julle loop met 'n witbrood onder die arm rond.

Ek het my contact ge - contackt, en sy woorde was:

Dammit , dit is 'n great idea, so, moet nie nog upgrades doen vir nog 'n stel Zipps 808's of nog 10 nuwe cannondales en cervelo's.

Julle ry R20' date='000 se wiele, R40,000 se bicycles en julle *** en kerm oor 'n R50 - R100 per jaar lisensie. Julle loop met 'n witbrood onder die arm rond.

[/quote']

Hugely sweeping statement there. Majority of cyclists i've seen bikes come no where near that amount

We already pay CSA a "licence" fee to govern the sport. I don't comute. Why should I pay for another licence for my bike?

If It would make cycling safer and give us better roads I would pay a licence fee with a smile, but get real! We pay huge amounts of taxes on vehicles and look at the state of our roads. Waht are they gonne do with the bit of money from a cycle licence. Its a good idea but not in SA.

I was just talking to Jhb Dept of Sport bout this. It can lead to cycle paths , more money for teh sport etc etc.

It will make cyclists obey the rules of the road andmaybe those linksfield rd robot jumpers will stop.

35 000 argus riders x R20 all cyclists making use of road millns how many cyclign lanes and insurance etc. I did it when i was kid had to buy a metal plate that had number and attached to the seat post tube or wheel nut

Ithink its must, any shop that sells a bike sells a licences, or form teh dept of trnspor tor your club.

But no unlicensed bike should be allowed on the road no matter who what or where.

Think about teh bigger picture!!!

But no unlicensed bike should be allowed on the road no matter who what or where.

Thats the idea with car licences... and look how well that works...