#numbercollectionsmustfall : PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

Spinnekop

Yes its about time - I really loathe driving to 4-ways and I am just down the grid-locked roads in Rosebank. Okay I admit to taking a ?perve at the new bikes there, but always get miffed when I try ask for some part ?I need and have to deal with doff sales guys who should really be at school.

Sometimes take the long way back past the Riversands farm stall and scoff some chicken pies to compensate.

Yes, the perils of number collection, one of the great burdens of a cyclists life. And I normally have to bunk work for 1/2 day to achieve that.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have asked the question before but they told me being licensed they need to view our license cards on collection' date=' what a load of rubbish i say!!
[/quote']

We live in 2010.

SURELY......SERIOUSLY......

Maybe add another one liner field on your database that SS keeps to show if you are registered for 2010 or not. 

If you are not registered at CSA, you cannot enter licensed.  Easy stuff.

CSA will save MILLIONS by not having to print and laminate cards and take abuse from irate riders when they do not get cards.

Just update the database and the race organisers tap into that......

Spinnekop' date='

You write what I have been feeling!

Who to write to in order to put this request into serious consideration?

CSA, PPA, Helen Zille (if you live in WC)?

[img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley29.gif[/img]

THAT IS THE $1MIL guestion.

No one knows.

Think it is another cartel......you use my entry system, you have to come collect.  That way I can generate bellybuttons on the floor with ad-hoc sales.

Very clever marketing must agree but I am not for it......

I WANT MY NUMBER PRINTED.

Oom Pops.

Can't Volstruis talk to someone in the pub to sort this out? 

Why oh why I have to go to CL every week to collect a number no one nows! If we have to pick up numbers before the time cant we at least do it at other shops too? Another thing cycling can take from running is the cost of the entries! Cycling is becoming even more of an elitist sport!

They should give permanent numbers like in the old days. You get it when you join CSA and keep it for the duration of your membership. If you continue your membership for a second, 3rd etc year, you get a discount from CSA because you do not need to get a new number printed.

You can then get an email with another lable/bar-code that you have to attach to your number (via paper clip or stale) that shows that you have entered a certain event and "roof ryers" don't just pitch with their number.

Well considering as we all have to have a license (cyclosport or racing or MTB or or) and each license has a unique number couldn't the CSA just issue a once-off number when someone applies for a license the first time.  Then if you lose it you pay to have it replaced but you don't have to schlep to JHB from PTA to collect your number.

And then to control whether or not you've renewed your license a lookup is done when you enter the race. No valid license no entry.

The guys that only ride one or two races a year and get day licenses will then be the only ones that need to go on the Great Trek to collect their numbers.

Perhaps I'm over simplifying?  How difficult can it be?

Maybe they worried that if you get a permanent number people won't enter races and pitch up and race. Maybe they should do a permanent number with an incorporated chip. That can be scanned at the race to confirm you have entered. Then fine anyone racing without entering.

Begfore you used to get a worthwhile goodie bag when collecting numbers but not any more.

Alida, that's kinda what I said but re the day license. Why even involve CL at all. There will not be that many and I'm sure they can hand out those numbers on race day along with the late entries.

Lets face it any way will be better than the current one. 3 hrs yesterday out of my day to pick up a piece of paper with a number on for sunday and a timing board for saturday.

Why cant these be handed out before the start of the race as in years gone by?

A number for the year is even better....

Gosh , I hope someone takes cognicance of this and makes a plan...

maybe we should just seriously consider not collecting any numbers for 1/2 races and pitch up and start without them

but then again, everyone will agree up to he point where the race starts, then 90% of the field wil magically produce their numbers from somewhere.

take a leaf out of the unions books and call out a number collection strike

any takers?

Maybe they worried that if you get a permanent number people won't enter races and pitch up and race. Maybe they should do a permanent number with an incorporated chip. That can be scanned at the race to confirm you have entered. Then fine anyone racing without entering.

Begfore you used to get a worthwhile goodie bag when collecting numbers but not any more.

but that would involve more scanners and sort and can increase the price again. There can be a special place on the permanent numbers where you can either slide or attach a small piece op paper that you printed yourself. This number will prove that you entered and it will be colour coded so that you can know in which group you start

ONE should think........smiley5.gifsmiley11.gifsmiley18.gifsmiley12.gifsmiley3.gifsmiley18.gif

It will take just ONE bliksem with his 4 x 4 to ram into that class plates because of his high blood pressure when he arrives to pick up his number.

Just ONE.

smiley4.gif

I had to drive all the way out there to get my race number for Saturday.  Took me almost 2 hours.  Away from work.

Got there.  Got my number.  Left.  No goody bag.  No sales to the bike shop.  Nothing.  Just one half page number.

I'm collecting mine at the start smiley4.gif, or is there a different system for elites/ vets/ etc?

But 100% agree with the sentiment - cloth number with chip, like those SST numbers that MTBers have... or just SST, Racetec, CC chips - every single race has timing scanning equipment anyway!

ONE should think........smiley5.gifsmiley11.gifsmiley18.gifsmiley12.gifsmiley3.gifsmiley18.gif

It will take just ONE bliksem with his 4 x 4 to ram into that class plates because of his high blood pressure when he arrives to pick up his number.

Just ONE.

smiley4.gif

I take it you were a potential candidate for this when you collected your number? smiley2.gifsmiley2.gifsmiley36.gif

take a leaf out of the unions books and call out a number collection strike

any takers?

I'll help with that.

Lets do the Argus.

(Now where did I put Lance's tel number again?)