MTB Hubs Debate

Caerus

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Johan is here to fight today!

I don't like cup and cone bearings. It is a simple thing. I like to be able to knock out a kaput bearing and gently tap another one in.

Cone spanners, ruining perfectly good old t shirt rags cleaning the balls, losing one, looking for it, re greasing, more cone spanners..... nah....

Also, most shimano free bodies can't be serviced so you need to buy a new free body every now and then.

I dunno..... I don't really care for the bbzzzz or the beees or the whatevers....

I have DT240s hubs on my race bike and they are great. Easy to service, easy to keep moving and if you get the upgraded rings the emgagement is pretty good.

I have Hope Pro 2 Evo's on my trail bike and they are also pretty good. Loud but they do the job.

I ran a Hope pro 2 evo SS/Trials hub on my SS for 3 years and it never gave me a moments issue. 

Freedom challenges, Lesotho sky, many many big races and days out. I never replaced bearings or internals. 

I think most hubs do the job these days. J-bend spokes and regular nipples keep things easy.

Performance is such a marginal thing. Guys were riding a hell of a lot faster than most of us on far worse components 6 years ago....... 

If you really want noisy hubs, take a look at Syntace. I run Hope Pro 2 Evo's and they were silenced by a guy coming past on a set of Syntace hubs.

Hope's are awesome though, probably the best value for money you're gonna get.

You can make Hope's pretty darn noisy by using less tacky grease in the pawl system. If that's your thing ;)

Hi hubbers, I'm considering replacing my "silent" Shimano hubs with a more noisy hub - I just love the sound of some hubs when free wheeling.

Any recommendations - I had a look at the Hope hubs at CWC.

The missus suggested I get the Hub's view before I spend the moola :ph34r:  :ph34r: :ph34r:  :ph34r:  

I'm going to repeat what I've said numerous times in the past, but what the hell...

There are currently 2x sets of Chris King hubs for sale on the Hub. Pink at R6250 and black at R7500. Both are a bargain as the new price these days is somewhere around R12-13k I think. Choose your colour, do some haggling and never look back.

Service them yourself once a year(you don't need the service tool to get to the bearings) and every 2-3 years have them serviced at William's in Somerset West so that he can do a full strip-down with the CK tools.

My hubs are now more than 11 years old and are still running on the original bearings as CK makes their own cartridge bearings that are fully serviceable. If I calculate the amount of money other people spend on replacement bearings every year, these have worked out cheaper in the long run.

Another bonus is that the hubs use a ring-drive system (in stead of ratchet and pawls) that is practically indestructible and makes a pretty cool sound. Not as loud as Hopes, but quality over quantity....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dNxBwmX6A

Hi all,

I was hoping for some help in choosing some hubs for my tubeless wheelset build. I am looking at four different hubs for my rear wheel. Please need advice on the following hubs - Hope Pro 2, DT Swiss 240s, American Classic and A2Z. Which are the better all round hubs? Im going to be using Stans ztr 355 rims.

Which ones to get? Bearing in mind the following;- Cost, servicing, reliabitlity, weight and finally the performance of the hubs.

Any ideas on tyres and spokes as well would be greatly appreciated.

I do mostly trail riding, bit of XC and racing on weekends.

Many Thanks.

DT Swiss 240s and get the 36 tooth or 54 tooth star ratchet if you can.

Well made, extremely light, reliable, no-tool disassembly of the main components.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Need some advise, I'm building a Carbon Wheelset, and I'm looking to get some Hope Hubs. What is the difference between the Hope Pro 2 and 4? And where can I buy the Pro 4?

Need some advise, I'm building a Carbon Wheelset, and I'm looking to get some Hope Hubs. What is the difference between the Hope Pro 2 and 4? And where can I buy the Pro 4?

www.evanscycles.co.uk

Got a set of Pro 4s end July for R4150 all in. arrived 3 days after paying

Edited by Mopkop

www.evanscycles.co.uk

Got a set of Pro 4s end July for R4150 all in. arrived 3 days after paying

Thats a good price! I see just the rear hub is R3800 in SA. I only need the rear hub, building it for a lefty

Thats a good price! I see just the rear hub is R3800 in SA. I only need the rear hub, building it for a lefty

What hub are you using for your lefty hub?

I'm going to repeat what I've said numerous times in the past, but what the hell...

There are currently 2x sets of Chris King hubs for sale on the Hub. Pink at R6250 and black at R7500. Both are a bargain as the new price these days is somewhere around R12-13k I think. Choose your colour, do some haggling and never look back.

Service them yourself once a year(you don't need the service tool to get to the bearings) and every 2-3 years have them serviced at William's in Somerset West so that he can do a full strip-down with the CK tools.

My hubs are now more than 11 years old and are still running on the original bearings as CK makes their own cartridge bearings that are fully serviceable. If I calculate the amount of money other people spend on replacement bearings every year, these have worked out cheaper in the long run.

Another bonus is that the hubs use a ring-drive system (in stead of ratchet and pawls) that is practically indestructible and makes a pretty cool sound. Not as loud as Hopes, but quality over quantity....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dNxBwmX6A

:blush:  where ?

Pro4 has larger diameter spoke flanges to give a slightly stiffer build. They are also now available in boost axle sizes (110/148 axles with spoke flanges about 6mm further apart). If you have non-boost Pro4 hubs you can also get endcap adapters to make them boost compatible. Final change is the slightly faster engagement....now 8.2° from 9° courtesy of a new 44 tooth drive ring.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CWC has a special on a Alchemist Carbon Hub

I've seen that...

But heard from a couple of guys its not a very reliable hub, had some comebacks.  :unsure:

I've seen that...

But heard from a couple of guys its not a very reliable hub, had some comebacks.  :unsure:

Thanks, will take the risk for R900