The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Nice, very brave. Where is the seat of the bmx?

It's called a Uni Seat. Very small and light. Kids don't need to sit on their seats; it's just there because of regulation.

post-42431-0-47539500-1565591369_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Getting them started young.

Bought them matching (Pink and Blue - very gender stereotypical :lol: )  Bontrager helmets that supposedly fits from 2 - 4 years. Apparently my boy has the head of a 4 year old so I had to move up a size!

He's already very brave on his little scooter - at what age would a balance bike be appropriate?

His sister is much more circumspect.

Looking at something like the Feva seat or Thule Ride Along so I can start taking them one at a time on some (gentle) rides. 

Would the Thule work on a duallie?

post-6889-0-14050500-1568719078_thumb.jpg

Bought them matching (Pink and Blue - very gender stereotypical :lol: )  Bontrager helmets that supposedly fits from 2 - 4 years. Apparently my boy has the head of a 4 year old so I had to move up a size!

He's already very brave on his little scooter - at what age would a balance bike be appropriate?

Looking at something like the Feva seat or Thule Ride Along so I can start taking them one at a time on some (gentle) rides. 

If they can walk they can ride a balance bike. My oldest started on a Strider at 17 months because he could fit on it. My youngest at around 23 months when he could wing his leg over the seat.

Saw a guy riding the spruit on Sunday 22 Sept with his boy sitting in front (kiddies seat on the top tube - between the rider's legs) and his slightly older daughter ridding on one of those one wheeled thingamabobs that is towed behind the rider's bike. That's the weight of two kids, and he was still smiling from ear to ear while peddling all the uphills on the spruit. Who ever you are, kudu's to you sir, super dad of note. Well done. My twins are due middle Jan 2020 and I cannot wait till I can take them cycling! 

• 3 weeks later...

7 months old, she was on 3 wheels, no at 16 months we are starting the 2 wheels

post-24697-0-91281300-1571084346_thumb.jpg

We have a Thule rear seat, they wont work on a dualie, as they clamp to the seat stay where the rear suspension is. Also not to be used on carbon bikes. I am actually in the market now for a new bike, just so I can put her on my bike too and not have to use her dad's bike all the time (setting seat height is a pain). I also would go to disk brakes, so possibly a cyclo cross / gravel type bike.

7 months old, she was on 3 wheels, no at 16 months we are starting the 2 wheels

attachicon.gifL bike.jpg

We have a Thule rear seat, they wont work on a dualie, as they clamp to the seat stay where the rear suspension is. Also not to be used on carbon bikes. I am actually in the market now for a new bike, just so I can put her on my bike too and not have to use her dad's bike all the time (setting seat height is a pain). I also would go to disk brakes, so possibly a cyclo cross / gravel type bike.

Check out the Feva seat (Sportsmans warehouse). Works in all bikes and the twins love it so far. I'll need to get a second one for mom's bike soon.

Check out the Feva seat (Sportsmans warehouse). Works in all bikes and the twins love it so far. I'll need to get a second one for mom's bike soon.

I have friends who toured France for 3 weeks with loaded bikes and their twins using FEVA seats. I still use mine with my 5yo on excursions that will be too difficult for her on her own bike (e.g. Coetzenburg XC track to visit the horses at Maties equestrian).  

I have friends who toured France for 3 weeks with loaded bikes and their twins using FEVA seats. I still use mine with my 5yo on excursions that will be too difficult for her on her own bike (e.g. Coetzenburg XC track to visit the horses at Maties equestrian).  

that must have been quite a trip!!!

I think I have now bought 7 "bikes" for kids in the past 7 years.

Now aged almost 5 and almost 7, boytjie wants a scooter.

Mother of pearl, am I missing something these things are fking pricey. How does JD bug charge more for two tubes of metal and a hinge with roller blade wheels than a full on balance bike?

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/catalogsearch/result/?q=Scooter

uhm, yea, how do I give you the good news ....  :whistling:  

for the next 3 or 4 years it is a bike every 12 to 15 months  ..... not sure if it gets much better after that.  :eek:

I now need to get the cash together for another bike for Maritz .... and the 24'' is in MINT condition !!  Upgraded rear hub, 8 speed, trigger shifters ... 

I think I have now bought 7 "bikes" for kids in the past 7 years.

Now aged almost 5 and almost 7, boytjie wants a scooter.

Mother of pearl, am I missing something these things are fking pricey. How does JD bug charge more for two tubes of metal and a hinge with roller blade wheels than a full on balance bike?

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/catalogsearch/result/?q=Scooter

https://www.decathlon.co.za/1201-scooters?page=2&q=0

Go to decathlon. Very good scooters at half the price.