The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Our 2019 goals is getting a U/20 squad going with a bit of sponsorship for road events.

Worth noting that there is talk amongst the MTB big-wigs of removing "racing" from the "primary school" kids - certainly NOT the exact jargon used by the experts !

Fun rides - YES

Group rides - YES

But not timed, and certainly no incentive to push a 7 year old to do hours of training - while they are still developing bone structure ...yada yada ....

So "racing" may in future be for "teenagers and up"  (again my interpretation of what I hear) ....

DOES seem to fit in with your goal of an under 20 group of young racers\riders ....

I am certainly open for comments on this topic, and would appreciate input from those that have more knowledge on this topic.  With a 7 year old who currently rides "mid-pack" we are obviously evaluating our options ..... was leaning towards mixing pleasure rides with bits of strength\speed training .... now thinking of just sticking with riding and basic skills training for the next year or two - build the muscle memory, and the correct technique .... slowly increase the distances.  KEEP IT FUN, time will tell if he is a "racer" in the making .... he certainly does like to chase down somebody in the distance, though the speed and stamina is not there, not yet...

Edited by ChrisF

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in getting into BMX racing there will be an event at the Kempton track this Sunday. Its a "fun race" so any bike is welcome. There will also be balance bike racing for the little ones from 2 yrs and up.

Link for the bmx event:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/kempton-bmx-club-fun-day-20th-january-2019-tickets-54819158579

and facebook event for the balance bikers:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FXSTREAMBALANCE%2Fposts%2F2179588868751230&width=500" width="500" height="808" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

c7f0d54f253a2cbe8cb33e75f25decb0.jpg

Swift turned 2 on Friday, keeping up with his brother now who has pedals on the frog. Reckon if we drop the seat on kittels bike Swift would give it a bash!!

looks real savage on the trails ....  :thumbup:

Morning ride at Contermanskloof,

10f054c67e8444fe42605470962daebd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NICE !!

been almost a month since Maritz was on the trails, first I was off sick, then they had a camp, now he is sick .... I MISS my riding buddy  :whistling:

Cycle tour MTB event this morning

0a7741d0c06d931235ad022a6ccb12fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry we missed this one, Maritz still has the sniffels .... he has now missed almost a months worth of riding ...