The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

It jumpes allot. The bikes is straped very tight so they just move with the trailer.

do you use the trailer exclusively for the bikes ?

If so, I'd investigate putting in some dampers/shocks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do you use the trailer exclusively for the bikes ?

If so, I'd investigate putting in some dampers/shocks

That is a good idea BUT it would need to be some sort of custom job. Normal car shocks won't work as they only work for heavier loads. I used to have an old caddy bakkie and sometimes I was convinced that the rear of that thing never actually needed shocks, just the leaf springs would have been fine. But then I would never have been able to load it.

That is a good idea BUT it would need to be some sort of custom job. Normal car shocks won't work as they only work for heavier loads. I used to have an old caddy bakkie and sometimes I was convinced that the rear of that thing never actually needed shocks, just the leaf springs would have been fine. But then I would never have been able to load it.

yeah you're not going to walk into midas and get something off the shelf (I suspect), but I'm certain there must be soft enough dampers on the market.

Even my Venter which would be a fair bit heavier than this, when its unladen with just the bike on the top I worry.

I recall one trip into Alberton, I took the Voortrekker oframp off the N12, head left around when Bosch is, halfway through that bend there is/was a manhole.

Left wheel of the trailer hit the manhole cover and bounced. When I looked in the mirror whilst the trailer was still in the air, the bike was at a very precarious angle. Had me very worried it was going to go over.

Apparantly it is not to difficult. If you can weld and know where to buy the dampers.

So I have heard [emoji848]

It jumpes allot. The bikes is straped very tight so they just move with the trailer.[/quote

just deflate your tyres. My rough thumbsuck is somewhere between 1-1.2 bar.

If you want to really make sure it works, the cheapest option is to spec leaf springs that are appropriate for the light weight. You might need to remove a blade or two.

What did you get for them?

Twins are turning three tomorrow and they want new bikes  :thumbup:\

Any suggestions appreciated

Suggestion for elbow and knee guards for kids...

When my kids were learning, I tried all the skate/bike elbow guards but they were all rubbish. Too stiff and fell off. 

I then used some boxing wraps. basically long pieces of tough fabric that you wrap your hands with before putting them in your boxing gloves.

They stay on, provide plenty protection fro grazes and scrapes and are washable and cheap as all hell.

The only perceivable downside is that they probably wont stop a broken bone. So I would not use them for proper trail riding, but I figure by the time the kids are ready for that sort of thing, they probably wont need such serious protection and thats a bridge I havent needed to cross yet.

top-ten-hand-wrap-elastic-boxing-bandage

3b0fba9432e254ef7de0f9d4e5531975.jpg

I bought 2 of these in December, for the price they were asking had to buy them. 2x9 groupset some road tyres one gravel. 26” wheels. Eldest is on 20” at moment. 2 year old now pedaling on 14” at Xmas!!

Our little one has been riding with us from about 10 months old.  Started with short rides of about 3km and now at 1.5 years of age he can do about a 20km+ ride of about 1.5hours.  He loves his single track and even leans in with me into the corners.

The Feva seat works pretty well but don't know for how much longer since he is starting to take up quite a bit of space between the bars and my knees.

78511146_10159168093334676_8636348997897

81038006_10159289160049676_5395579040994

Edited by Karate Monkey

You better post pictures of the rest of this project. Or else!

(I started much the same way, just with two boys......and before I knew it I was onto my latest project......a single speed / fixie for a 21st birthday that will be coming up in a little while. I supposed this is the wrong thread for that, but what the hell, as long as I post it before he turns 21, you all will just have to forgive me.)

ok, so project is moving slowly.

post-1830-0-57224500-1578648010_thumb.jpeg

have decided on a layout and colours.

started sanding it all down and realised most of it was just being painted over.

original idea is to use the base blue paint, but the new rustoleum looks way better!

currently a bit stalled as i need to find stencils for the lettering (ie. stickers of text). proving harder than i thought.

any good ideas for where to find stick on letters that i can paint over and then remove later?

i know you can get a full vinyl cut effort but this is not a huge job.

will see how it ends up.

ok, so project is moving slowly.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2020-01-03 at 19.22.18.jpeg

have decided on a layout and colours.

started sanding it all down and realised most of it was just being painted over.

original idea is to use the base blue paint, but the new rustoleum looks way better!

currently a bit stalled as i need to find stencils for the lettering (ie. stickers of text). proving harder than i thought.

any good ideas for where to find stick on letters that i can paint over and then remove later?

i know you can get a full vinyl cut effort but this is not a huge job.

will see how it ends up.

When you have your stickers made, speak to the company and explain you need the "negatives" for painting.  Exact same process to make the stickers, except the remove the "sticker" and leave you with the negative.

that is AWESOME!! how old is he?

Thank you. He is 4, turning 5 in Feb! He did more km’s on his little bike in 2019 than what I did on mine [emoji23]