The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Kids cycling is a LOT bigger than I ever thought would be possible ....

Year end function for one of the kids training groups in the Western Cape.

post-110956-0-66692800-1544453864_thumb.jpg

Getting so big that they are splitting their training to have dedicated sessions for the "little ones", "the young riders", and the "junior snakes" ....

NICE to see a true family sport, family having fun together, and then having a ride together ....

post-110956-0-36730500-1544454111_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-63396600-1544454061_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I'm looking for a balance bike for my 2yr old. I have seen Strider recommended on here and by friends.

Here's the problem: The website is outdated (even showing security issues) and all bikes are out-of-stock. The facebook, twitter, etc are all closed down and the support number on the website isn't being answered. On the website no dealers are listed.

Are they still operating? Are there any known dealers?

Alternatively, what are the best recommendations for a balance bike. I've seen Muna, FirstBike, Chillafish, Cruzee...

I know the distributor for Strider. Will ask him if he still has stock available. I have a strider that’s been through 2 boys and it’s still in relatively good condition. Only ever changed the grips.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a balance bike for my 2yr old. I have seen Strider recommended on here and by friends. 

Here's the problem: The website is outdated (even showing security issues) and all bikes are out-of-stock. The facebook, twitter, etc are all closed down and the support number on the website isn't being answered. On the website no dealers are listed.

Alternatively, what are the best recommendations for a balance bike. I've seen Muna, FirstBike, Chillafish, Cruzee...

We are happy with Maritz's TITAN.

The brand has come a long way ... well worth a second look - https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/sponsored/the-titan-racing-junior-bike-guide-r7645

Hi all,

I can recommend a cheap plastic balance bike from Shoprite. 

My daughter had a cheap plastic one, because the one mentioned above where too big at the time. Bought her a Y-Bike for 2nd birthday and she stopped riding because it was too heavy. Went and bought a second slighter bigger plastic bike and loves riding again. 

I now have a brand new Y-bike sitting in the garage. 

post-24395-0-28585200-1544510716_thumb.jpg

Edited by Whatsup!

I know the distributor for Strider. Will ask him if he still has stock available. I have a strider that’s been through 2 boys and it’s still in relatively good condition. Only ever changed the grips.

Any feedback if their is still stock available?

Thanks for your effort.

Hi all,

Also in the market looking for a bike for my son.

Isla would have been the halo bike, but landing in SA will be anything between R3500 - R4000.

Currently looking at the Muna Pro-mini around R1600 or the Momsen JR12 around R1200.

We bought Number 1 and number 2 both Makro specials on their black Friday deals. 

Brand name to them is really not important to them. If they still enjoy cycling when they are older and want to do it as a sport rather than a hobby then I'll get them proper bikes. 

So I still need to assemble the bikes on Christmas eve, looking forward to seeing their faces, it's a big upgrade for number 2 as she's off training wheels now and number 1 is already on a 20" but both new bikes now have gears.... I also hinted to the grandparentals to get them new trail helmets. 

I'm hoping I can make some videos like TheRitz did :-) 

I can recommend a cheap plastic balance bike from Shoprite. 

My daughter had a cheap plastic one, because the one mentioned above where too big at the time. Bought her a Y-Bike for 2nd birthday and she stopped riding because it was too heavy. Went and bought a second slighter bigger plastic bike and loves riding again. 

I now have a brand new Y-bike sitting in the garage. 

attachicon.gif20180915_144937_Moment.jpg

Interesting, I have seen the opposite ish. 

Cheap takealot bike, does not fit the kid well, never rides. When the boys bring their Isla bikes round you cannot get her off it. 

But yes, lighter the better. 

Kids cycling is a LOT bigger than I ever thought would be possible ....

Year end function for one of the kids training groups in the Western Cape.

attachicon.gifVeloworld-148.jpg

Getting so big that they are splitting their training to have dedicated sessions for the "little ones", "the young riders", and the "junior snakes" ....

NICE to see a true family sport, family having fun together, and then having a ride together ....

attachicon.gifVeloworld-258.jpg

attachicon.gifVeloworld-241.jpg

We just trying to get little ones into road cycling :o

Hi all,

My son had this bike and LOVED it.

Excellent quality. Really light weight. Pneumatic tires (very important for grip!) The cheaper balance bikes have foam tires. Even after he was on a pedal bike, he still hops on it for fun. Our daughter will be using it next.

Got great service from the local supplier (below).

http://www.like2bike.co.za/balance-bikes.html

Kokua Hardy - Price was under R2k a few years ago...

8c197b4772c33a3d260f3ed77e042cfd.jpg

Edited by greg_sa

My son had this bike and LOVED it.

Excellent quality. Really light weight. Pneumatic tires (very important for grip!) The cheaper balance bikes have foam tires. Even after he was on a pedal bike, he still hops on it for fun. Our daughter will be using it next.

Got great service from the local supplier (below).

http://www.like2bike.co.za/balance-bikes.html

Kokua Hardy - Price was under R2k a few years ago...

8c197b4772c33a3d260f3ed77e042cfd.jpg

Thanks Greg. With Bogus the Canyon replica can be born.

We just trying to get little ones into road cycling :o

Actually they DO some "road cycling" as well -

post-110956-0-21361600-1544700109_thumb.jpg

Does OFF-road count ?  :devil: 

Actual did some tar-road cycling with Maritz yesterday afternoon.  FIRST time we rode further than just our cul-de-sac on tar .... sadly no safe cycling lanes near us ....

Actually they DO some "road cycling" as well -

attachicon.gifVeloworld-1191.jpg

Does OFF-road count ?  :devil: 

Actual did some tar-road cycling with Maritz yesterday afternoon.  FIRST time we rode further than just our cul-de-sac on tar .... sadly no safe cycling lanes near us ....

Our 2019 goals is getting a U/20 squad going with a bit of sponsorship for road events.