• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I

Love

Decathlon

And I live 1km away from them. Like I said “ Worse for my pocket than Builders Wharehouse” and I love tools. ????

Love this thread.

All these bikes have been loved and will be going to new homes soon for more memories

If that's too many bikes, then I have a really BIG problem.

Edited by ridr

If that's too many bikes, then I have a really BIG problem.

3 children and I think we currently own at least 20 kid's bikes. (I didn't plan it that way, but they now get loaned out long-term to friends and family who I don't feel I can charge.)

If N+1 applies to me, then I see no reason it shouldn't apply to the kid's too :D

What trails have been put in place for the adults ?

The bike park at Hazendal is aimed at kids.  The previous "long" trail across the farm that also catered for adults was closed down due to a golf course development.  This is why the decision was made to allow adult members of Tygerberg and Bottelary to ride for free when they bring their kids. There are enough riding options to keep the kids busy.

3 children and I think we currently own at least 20 kid's bikes. (I didn't plan it that way, but they now get loaned out long-term to friends and family who I don't feel I can charge.)

If N+1 applies to me, then I see no reason it shouldn't apply to the kid's too :D

My 8 year old said to me in all seriousness that he needs a road bike. I pointed to his new mountain bike which was bought brand new not that long ago as he goes through about a bike a year due to growth  and he calmly said "Yes but I need a road bike too". 

It is not going to happen...…………..  

My 8 year old said to me in all seriousness that he needs a road bike. I pointed to his new mountain bike which was bought brand new not that long ago as he goes through about a bike a year due to growth  and he calmly said "Yes but I need a road bike too". 

My 6 year old wants an different colour bike every second day. I'd also be on 20+ kids bikes if he had his way..

My 6 year old wants an different colour bike every second day. I'd also be on 20+ kids bikes if he had his way..

I've had to deal with some very fussy friend's kids. Luckily my girls and boy don't care what colour their bikes are. They've helped me build a few. My 9 year old daughter helped me build up a blue axis 26er frame that cost me R200 - nice parts on there brought it to sub 10kg :) They understand weight and function over looks.

Edited by ridr

The bike park at Hazendal is aimed at kids.  The previous "long" trail across the farm that also catered for adults was closed down due to a golf course development.  This is why the decision was made to allow adult members of Tygerberg and Bottelary to ride for free when they bring their kids. There are enough riding options to keep the kids busy.

thus my question .... forgetting the cost issues for one second

WHERE do the ADULTS ride if the long route was closed ?

Not as if we want to circle the kids route ....

1 second gone, so back to cost issues

Bloemendal cost R30 per day per kid.  EXCELLENT new pump track for the kids.  AND some real trails for the adults.  And depending on the kids age and skill level the kid can ride some of the real trails as well.

so practically and cost wise I just dont see the benefit of a Tygerberg member wanting to pay R50 per kid, and nowhere for the adult to ride at Hazendal.  

PLEASE, if there are trails for adults - at Hazendal or on the Bottelary hills - included in this R50 deal, please confirm as such

PS - we live much closer to Hazendal than the Durbanville trails, but due to the lack of "parent-and-child" trails we dont make use of the Botterlary and Hazendal trails.  If and when the situation changes we may well support our local trails !  :thumbup:

EDIT : R50 per kid (corrected values above)

Edited by ChrisF

jaaa boet !  :eek:   :wacko:

3 years ....

bought a rigid 20'' .... after 12km of Hermanus trails we knew he wanted more trials .... 20'' went to his parents house

bought a 20'' with a front shock fro the trails.

12 months 3 weeks .... bought a 24'' .....

14 months .... bought the 26'' XS frame 2 weeks ago.

Already built a 26'' M frame ... so ready for the next growth spurt ....  :clap:

at the moment we are two riders and 5 bikes ....  :whistling:

jaaa boet ! :eek: :wacko:

3 years ....

bought a rigid 20'' .... after 12km of Hermanus trails we knew he wanted more trials .... 20'' went to his parents house

bought a 20'' with a front shock fro the trails.

12 months 3 weeks .... bought a 24'' .....

14 months .... bought the 26'' XS frame 2 weeks ago.

Already built a 26'' M frame ... so ready for the next growth spurt .... :clap:

at the moment we are two riders and 5 bikes .... :whistling:

Luckily we dont keep them so as one new bike comes the too small bike goes to friend''s children. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on whose opinion, hubby has more than one bike so still more bikes than people.

Seems like a bike every year is about normal for all children.

All to often we see the kids where the parents try to skip a bike size ....

one week they are sitting "on top" of a bike way too small for them.  The next week they are stretched out on an over sized bike, barely reaching the handle bars and unable to properly turn the handle bars ....

from a safety perspective.  YES, a bike a year just makes so much more sense.  His 2nd 20'' was sold to a Hubber, and the 24'' was traded in on the new bike.

Thankfully the Titan range makes this affordable.  Scary when you think of the many R10k+ kid bikes out there - remembering this will be used just more than a year .... Well, even Titan now has a 1x12 26'' (24-9er) for R13k .... thats before the tubeless costs.

thus my question .... forgetting the cost issues for one second

WHERE do the ADULTS ride if the long route was closed ?

Not as if we want to circle the kids route ....

1 second gone, so back to cost issues

Bloemendal cost R30 per day per kid.  EXCELLENT new pump track for the kids.  AND some real trails for the adults.  And depending on the kids age and skill level the kid can ride some of the real trails as well.

so practically and cost wise I just dont see the benefit of a Tygerberg member wanting to pay R70 per kid, and nowhere for the adult to ride at Hazendal.  

PLEASE, if there are trails for adults - at Hazendal or on the Bottelary hills - included in this R70 deal, please confirm as such

As stated, the bike park is aimed at kids, not adults.  Therefore adult members of Bottelary and Tygerberg can ride for free with their kids. The idea is to enable adults to ride with their kids without having to buy a permit for themselves.  There is no long routes on Hazendal - for that you need to go and ride Bottelary.

Hazendal permit costs is R50 per kid - not R70.  Not sure what R70 deal you are referring to. Bottelary is a separate permit @R60 - nothing to do with Hazendal.

Thank you Dirtman

Hazendal holds some dear memories for us .... THIS is where it all started for Maritz

FIRST outing ....

post-110956-0-09388600-1575490021_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-10605800-1575490040_thumb.jpg

and straight for the mud

post-110956-0-38365600-1575490055_thumb.jpg

Think we had 3 of 4 rides at Hazendal before they closed for the revamp.

Looking at the new kiddies track I am sure many new kids may start out here  :thumbup:

Hazendal used to state it clearly that they aim for the kids and family.  "Serious" riders to head over to the Bottelary hills ..... and this is a GOOD thing, in that it offers something for the kids  :thumbup:   Not many other options for the kids and family.