The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lammie said:

Half wheelers are lots of fun. My daugter enjoyed it allot. You know they will not swerve into traffic. You can even do some 10 - 20 km races

Single track and big bumps is a bit tricky. It does not follow on tight bends and your rear wheel will catch over big bumps. 

We did Rosemary Hill with it and just took it lower over the fence bridge and the tight Corner I told my daugter to be ready for some bumps when she went next to the single track 

Introduced our daughter to cycling on a half wheeler and it worked a charm. Turning circle is a bit big so stuck to tar and dirt roads. She's now 17 and shreds tech trails and joins me in 70km+ rides and loves cycling. We think the half wheeler had a big role to play in this.

14 hours ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Hi everyone,

Anyone willing to share about their experience cycling with half wheelers? 

Is it as fun as I imagine it to be taking my son down some single tracks ?

IMG_5488.jpeg

My boy and I love riding on it together. 
get one, you’ll still use it when he can ride a 20 inch bike on his own. 

16 hours ago, Lammie said:

I still have one, but I am in the Eastrand 

Hi Lammie, I have family in JHB if you are willing to let go of your half wheeler?

17 hours ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Hi everyone,

IMG_5488.jpeg

I have this exact Giant one in the garage. kids are now 9 and 11.

It still gets used time to time, easy of installation is amazing, but don't get too precious on your seatpost as i have given up trying to protect that getting scuffed.

I wouldn't do singeltrack on it. never even thought about it. sh#t, maybe I should!

and NO, it's not for sale. yet

On a parallel ....

Friend has a tandem with a low seat at the back.

At 7 years old his son was doing 100km rides with him.

Obviously a serious workout for dad, but also that kid has no fear for LONG rides.

Might be a nice next step after the half wheeler.

There is nothing as fantastic as a father and son tandem team.........ok..........maybe a mother and son / daughter team is on par...........trying to be fair......... it being womens month and all.

On 8/5/2024 at 12:23 PM, PappaWatTrap said:

Hi Lammie, I have family in JHB if you are willing to let go of your half wheeler?

I wish to ‘pay something forward’; please let me know shipping cost of the half-wheeler , if you secure it, to Cape Town, tx, Chris

072 211 7725

Edited by Zebra
Context

On 8/4/2024 at 7:27 PM, PappaWatTrap said:

Hi everyone,

IMG_5488.jpeg

I had the opposite experience. Bought it but couldn't get it to work properly with my son. He kept leaning sideways and I couldn't get it tight enough on my seat post, even with a few layers of tubing to protect the post Probably user error but still something to keep in mind. I sold mine again within a month of buying it. 

On 8/10/2024 at 9:29 AM, Zebra said:

I wish to ‘pay something forward’; please let me know shipping cost of the half-wheeler , if you secure it, to Cape Town, tx, Chris

072 211 7725

Wow this is a great gesture.

Regretably a friend heard I had it available and bought it yesterday. Pappawattrap was going to look for one closer to home

11 hours ago, Lammie said:

Wow this is a great gesture.

Regrettably a friend heard I had it available and bought it yesterday. Pappawattrap was going to look for one closer to home

Pleasure; I was 'paid it forward' by Prince Albert Cycles, and so the wheel turns! Pappawattrap bought one I think here in CT, of of FB Marketplace.

(I was also gifted an item 12 months or so back, by ChrisL, so am looking for P.I F. opportunity.

Cheers

Chris

Took our eldest to a local XCO race. He was the youngest but could complete the whole route, not like his dad getting off a walking Lekkerval Laagte.

We were the last finishers, receiving a "pampoen" for our effort!!!

It was nice day out!!!

Need to get more children on bikes to get a local series going in our area. For the local Northern Cape Schools we need to travel between 800 - 1200km for a 3km race on tracks not comparable to those in WC, Gauteng or KZN.

Lekkerval laagte.JPG

Pofadder bos.JPG

21 hours ago, DJuice said:

Took our eldest to a local XCO race. He was the youngest but could complete the whole route, not like his dad getting off a walking Lekkerval Laagte.

We were the last finishers, receiving a "pampoen" for our effort!!!

It was nice day out!!!

Need to get more children on bikes to get a local series going in our area. For the local Northern Cape Schools we need to travel between 800 - 1200km for a 3km race on tracks not comparable to those in WC, Gauteng or KZN.

Lekkerval laagte.JPG

Pofadder bos.JPG

kry die oom warm in die puffer jacket?