Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine most of the weight is sitting with the fork and wheel/ tyre setup. Many steel framed SS rigs are sub 10.

Oh and a hint - weight isn't such a big deal in SS land... same as telling people you ride SS. Hush hush.

I dunno what my SS weighs... 

*thats a lie

*it weighs in the 9kg range ish... 

I imagine most of the weight is sitting with the fork and wheel/ tyre setup. Many steel framed SS rigs are sub 10.

Oh and a hint - weight isn't such a big deal in SS land... same as telling people you ride SS. Hush hush.

We weighed my wheels , they are heavy. I will get a set of 29er wheels and then I will be well below 10 Kg. My fork stays . I like it. But this bike is all about the horizontal drop outs for me. I wanted to loss the chain tensioning device . The stock hubs on this bike are build for a tank.  

And yes I am a weight wennie. I am doing trailseeker tomorrow , lets see  how she rolls. Dam I love this bike.

Geco guys thought it was funny to put the bell on it , so it stays for now.

Edited by Michael Allen

We weighed my wheels , they are heavy. I will get a set of 29er wheels and then I will be well below 10 Kg. My fork stays . I like it. But this bike is all about the horizontal drop outs for me. I wanted to loss the chain tensioning device . The stock hubs on this bike are build for a tank.  

And yes I am a weight wennie. I am doing trailseeker tomorrow , lets see  how she rolls. Dam I love this bike.

Geco guys thought it was funny to put the bell on it , so it stays for now.

Any more details on the frame? I haven't seen a giant with sliding "dropouts"

That XTC is something special. Do the new models come with with sliding dropouts?

I'm spending some quality time with my SIR 9 at 94.7 tomorrow. Honestly I'm not looking forward to spinning out on the flats too much

Its pretty much the same style dropouts the trek SS used, its a through axle design in a slotted dropout. The only difference being the trek is SS only whereas the Giant still retains a hanger... 

Trek

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Trek_Superfly_SS_3.jpg

Giant

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/XTC-Advanced-+-SS-1024x657.jpg

No idea what my singular weighs and don't care. That giant is rad.

Ryan, we need you back. Come home. This is a safe place.

Soon soon. Watch this space. Some surprise changes to THE SIR.

Its pretty much the same style dropouts the trek SS used, its a through axle design in a slotted dropout. The only difference being the trek is SS only whereas the Giant still retains a hanger...

Trek

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Trek_Superfly_SS_3.jpg

Giant

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/XTC-Advanced-+-SS-1024x657.jpg

Now thats interesting, do Giant do this frame in Aluminum or Carbon?

I have to do a warranty on my current Alu XTC frame as it has started to develop a small crack and I wonder If I could get it swopped for one of these.

Now thats interesting, do Giant do this frame in Aluminum or Carbon?

I have to do a warranty on my current Alu XTC frame as it has started to develop a small crack and I wonder If I could get it swopped for one of these.

You making me think... must seriously go check my Giant's frame...

Well , I did trailseeker yesterday and I love this bike. Its handles like its on rails.

Few unexpected things. I cant use my park tool chain cleaner any more ( not the end of the world)

Basically have to take my chain off to clean it now. Just have one question, about chain tension. How tight should it be?

Well , I did trailseeker yesterday and I love this bike. Its handles like its on rails.

Few unexpected things. I cant use my park tool chain cleaner any more ( not the end of the world)

Basically have to take my chain off to clean it now. Just have one question, about chain tension. How tight should it be?

make sure that there is a little slack when the chain is in it's tightest point in the rotation.

when you get it right, the crank will spin backwards smoothly and with very little friction