Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

My two single speed bikes. Because it has been scientifically proven that you cannot have too many bikes. It is not possible.

One One

And Raleigh USA Belt Drive.

Love them both.(But the On One a tiny bit more)post-16512-0-66677400-1567784312_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Vetseun

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping I can get some advice.

I’m wanting to convert to SS. I recently just purchased a chain tensioner , a 18t rear chainring/cog and spacers for the freehub . I’m wanting to know if I can put a 10 speed chain on this set up? Or will I require a SS chain? And if yes, hoekom? - also, roughly what tension / length should the chain be? Or will the chain tensioner sort that out?

Thanks In advance for any tips or advice!

I’m wanting to convert to SS. I recently just purchased a chain tensioner , a 18t rear chainring/cog and spacers for the freehub . I’m wanting to know if I can put a 10 speed chain on this set up? Or will I require a SS chain? And if yes, hoekom? - also, roughly what tension / length should the chain be? Or will the chain tensioner sort that out?

Get a 3/32 single speed chain. Rapide.co.za has them. Geared chains are actually designed to move off the rings :-) Single speed not so much. Also usually they are much tougher - SS puts loads more stress on the drive train.

Depending on your tensioner you got... You want the chain to be as short as possible and still work. 

Getting your chainlink right can be fiddly - I use a straight section of pipe which I lay against the chainring and get a good idea where the cog should sit. 

Also do take in mind chain wrap - you want the chain to wrap around the rear cog as far as possible. Many tensioners push away and greatly reduce wrap... Which results in the chain jumping under strain. Its better to have the chain pushed up... 

post-9954-0-96724900-1568573255_thumb.jpg

Rapide is great

10 speed chain works perfectly

Edited by King_Crispy

Get a 3/32 single speed chain. Rapide.co.za has them. Geared chains are actually designed to move off the rings :-) Single speed not so much. Also usually they are much tougher - SS puts loads more stress on the drive train.

Depending on your tensioner you got... You want the chain to be as short as possible and still work.

Getting your chainlink right can be fiddly - I use a straight section of pipe which I lay against the chainring and get a good idea where the cog should sit.

Also do take in mind chain wrap - you want the chain to wrap around the rear cog as far as possible. Many tensioners push away and greatly reduce wrap... Which results in the chain jumping under strain. Its better to have the chain pushed up...

Alright thanks for that, parts haven’t arrived just yet when they arrive I will have a look and fiddle! Thanks

Thanks man, any chain slips or anything there? And what size front and rear chainrings you running ? And how you finding that? I was planning a 18t rear, and 32 front . Most riding is on flat

post-9954-0-60426200-1568574624_thumb.jpg

17x32.

No chain slip, ever.

Rode a steep technical route yesterday and that gearing works perfectly for me

17x32 and I run out of cadence very quickly.

Thinking 16x32 might be more ideal. Even 15x32 but dont seem to be able to source a 15T.

Any advice?