Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Grave on the left?

hahahaha. 

jc.jpg

Edited by MORNE

• 1 month later...

Turned my first Titan MTB into a SS for SS Champs - did not expect it to become my go-to bike for weekday, 40k, rides. Love it so much, started a new build on a GT Zaskar frame with a Niner rigid fork. Hope to finish this week - holiday bike. 

A00E5BEB-7A83-4763-B109-9FD526FD7F9B.jpeg

9179C04C-F0A3-4EAD-A173-B17E2C408F3E.jpeg

1 hour ago, danievj said:

Turned my first Titan MTB into a SS for SS Champs - did not expect it to become my go-to bike for weekday, 40k, rides. Love it so much, started a new build on a GT Zaskar frame with a Niner rigid fork. Hope to finish this week - holiday bike. 

See if you can get your hands on the Rapide EccenTrick BB to keep the GT looking so clean when in SS
https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-eccentrick-bb/

On 12/5/2021 at 6:41 AM, danievj said:

A00E5BEB-7A83-4763-B109-9FD526FD7F9B.jpeg

I took my GT SS to Northcliff Cycles today to get finished off with trimming brake hoses etc.

Things took quite a bit longer than expected,  but was super impressed again by their service and the fact that Sam and Alex worked overtime to get me sorted.

Thank you Northcliff Cycles.

Pics will be posted tomorrow of the completed SS project 

On 12/5/2021 at 10:16 AM, danievj said:

That is that big, lumpy, BB you see on the photo. ( very nice kit ). Want to run this bike without a tensioner. Hoping I can manage with an oval chainring, else I’ll go round. 

LOL ... did no even notice it!
really looking forward to your feedback on the bike build.

1 hour ago, danievj said:

She's built, fast an light.

Took her on a maiden run this morning, very happy.

de Vos.JPG

Home.JPG

Sheep.JPG

Great job and really kewl, love it bruh.  Did you clearcoat that frame or how do you plan to maintain it?  Planning a similar raw alu look for a HT and the success that some North American cycle makers have had with “sheep juice” (lanolin), at maintaining finish and preventing oxidisation, looks promising.  Again, impressive build.

Edited by justinafrika

14 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Great job and really kewl, love it bruh.  Did you clearcoat that frame or how do you plan to maintain it?  Planning a similar raw alu look for a HT and the success that some North American cycle makers have had with “sheep juice” (lanolin), at maintaining finish and preventing oxidisation, looks promising.  Again, impressive build.

Thank you. I, honestly have not made up my find on the finish. At the moment. it's the raw aluminium which looks cooler than I thought it would. I'm going to polish a section with Autosol - recommended to me by quad-racing mates and see how that lasts. Come the new year I'll strip the frame, should be less than an hour's work and then decide. It will probably best to have it clear coated, but she only ways 8.2kg now ...

3 hours ago, danievj said:

Thank you. I, honestly have not made up my find on the finish. At the moment. it's the raw aluminium which looks cooler than I thought it would. I'm going to polish a section with Autosol - recommended to me by quad-racing mates and see how that lasts. Come the new year I'll strip the frame, should be less than an hour's work and then decide. It will probably best to have it clear coated, but she only ways 8.2kg now ...

Autosol and Mothers are great options, but expensive.

A friend rides a RAW PYGA and has also given Brasso a spin, far cheaper and apparently works very well.

A light brush of lanolin once or twice a year reportedly prevents metal oxidisation or sweat-raw aluminium discolouration while also avoiding the abrasion of metal polishes.  STINKS for a few days I’m told.  Even so, I’ll try that before anything else.

Edited by justinafrika