Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

yup this is the exact POS i have. its horrible. it basically has enough play in it to derail the chain if the chain line is off imo lol, not to mention when it pulls it so skew that it skips a tooth under load every now and then....yeah. NO.

I pondered opening it up and doing exactly this, it is obvious where the flaw is in this design...but then i saw the new version costs so little and is apparently way better so I just got the thing. Funny, i didn't want to spend money on this old bike so took the gears off because the cables were too short to reach by how much I had to stretch the large frame. But look....now I already spent more on just the fn tensioner haha....and its still only SS. anyway, just want to ride it. Not buying a new bike.

Let me know how the new tensioner performs please? I reckon I should throw one in with my next rapide order.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know how the new tensioner performs please? I reckon I should throw one in with my next rapide order.

not fitted yet....but i can already tell you just by looking at  and feeling the thing this is WAAAYYYY better than the ones we have 9previous version). ALOT less play at the mounting bolt, also not that stupid spring rod business. It just looks like less parts all together so it makes sence that it will have less scope for sloppyness.

post-64325-0-73400800-1600411272_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-97411700-1600411279_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-43844100-1600411286_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-42958700-1600411293_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the potato quality but we're still using A image uploader from 1824

the tensioner looks much better , makes little too no noise ( i swapped the crap chines pulley for one of the XX1 pulley's I have laying around )

No drops yet And I dont expect any

mr Frana, that 12T sram pully...i'm presuming you removed the little cage/guide thing on the tensioner to make that work? have you ever bounced a chain off the jockey wheel? I was pondering the exact same thing this morning and remembered this pic of yours.

Edit: that cage in my post with the pics above.

Reason being...i'd imagine you could squeeze a tad more tension out of it with a bigger wheel, obviously as it will take up more slack than the 11T? My chainstay lenght has me smack in the middle of a link so that means I have to ad 2 extra links to the chain and i want the tentioner more tucked in there...so need a bit more tension in my life lol.

Edited by morneS555

mr Frana, that 12T sram pully...i'm resuming you removed the little cage/guide thing on the tensioner that to make that work? have you ever bounced a chain off the jockey wheel? I was pondering the exact same thing this morning and remembered this pic of yours.

Reason being...i'd imagine you could squeeze a tad more tension out of it with a bigger wheel, obviously as it will take up more slack than the 11T? My chainstay lenght has me me smack in the middle of a link so that means I have to ad 2 extra links to the chain and i want the tentioner more tucked it there...so need a bit more tension in my life lol.

Ask the LBS for pieces of a half link chain and I will give you some pins. 

You use 1 piece of the half link and a quick link and you are gold

Ask the LBS for pieces of a half link chain and I will give you some pins.

You use 1 piece of the half link and a quick link and you are gold

I know about half links but they dont work on 10 and 11 speed chains? ????....And thats what i got lol. I still need to ad the 19T cog you gave me. That will also help. The equal numbered cogs leave ne with too much slack(for my liking) to take up with the tensioner...other than that i dont mind the thing vs pure singlespeed. Sold the wheeks Mfg EBB too today....aint nobody got time for that ( micro adjusting tension every week) id rather ride it till its so stretched that it snaps lol Edited by morneS555

mr Frana, that 12T sram pully...i'm presuming you removed the little cage/guide thing on the tensioner to make that work? have you ever bounced a chain off the jockey wheel? I was pondering the exact same thing this morning and remembered this pic of yours.

Reason being...i'd imagine you could squeeze a tad more tension out of it with a bigger wheel, obviously as it will take up more slack than the 11T? My chainstay lenght has me smack in the middle of a link so that means I have to ad 2 extra links to the chain and i want the tentioner more tucked in there...so need a bit more tension in my life lol.

yes I did take off the metal guide , no drops yet 

the SRAM pulley is also NW so I guess that also makes it less likey to drop the chain 

The 19T worked well getting it in closer. Larger jockey might even more. Something also tells me this bike’s magic ratio is 33-19

post-64325-0-54381300-1605282375_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-72808300-1605282388_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-53313800-1605282406_thumb.jpeg

One of Jewey’s old ones. I just gave it some love.

must be in awesome condition then after only doing max. 150km in total from only riding to his local hipster cafe and back

must be in awesome condition then after only doing max. 150km in total from only riding to his local hipster cafe and back

Actually i think i got a raw deal as its already past 50% (as in only usable on 1 side). It actually looks like he used it plenty haha. I even had to clean it myself. It basically looked like he did after face planting his roadie on chappies haha

But i like him so i’ll let this one slide????????????

Even if it was just for me to find out if I want 19T...since they are not available locally from the usual shops abd i already have 16/18/20

Edited by morneS555

Actually i think i got a raw deal as its already past 50% (as in only usable on 1 side). It actually looks like he used it plenty haha. I even had to clean it myself. It basically looked like he did after face planting his roadie on chappies haha

But i like him so i’ll let this one slide

Even if it was just for me to find out if I want 19T...since they are not available locally from the usual shops abd i already have 16/18/20

Ja, I suppose he is "ok"

Ride report:

32-19 is sweeeet.

18T was a bit stiff on the really big hills and 20T too easy and slow on the flats.

Did my quick suburbia loop this afternoon, first half is climbing up to Tygerberg nature reserve from durbanville side. I was surprised to find that i was actually not that much slower than i was using 11-36 lol. Yes it burned a bit more than usual but it was totally manageable. I reckon 19T is the sweetspot on 32T chainring.

Ride report:

32-19 is sweeeet.

18T was a bit stiff on the really big hills and 20T too easy and slow on the flats.

Did my quick suburbia loop this afternoon, first half is climbing up to Tygerberg nature reserve from durbanville side. I was surprised to find that i was actually not that much slower than i was using 11-36 lol. Yes it burned a bit more than usual but it was totally manageable. I reckon 19T is the sweetspot on 32T chainring.

I used to ride a 32x20t for the Wednesday morning rides up Table Mountain before work. .. it was just right, but then again I need to factor in that I am big boned.

Ride report:

32-19 is sweeeet.

I would agree, a 32/19 is the golden ratio for me as well!

Did Dusi2C on a 32/19... kaaaaaaked off but it was doable  :whistling: