Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

yes I did take off the metal guide , no drops yet 

the SRAM pulley is also NW so I guess that also makes it less likey to drop the chain

can confirm that this works just fine. Did a quick 20km this morning on it and went down Majik forest just to check if I could get it to come off. Worked fine. The N/W does seem to keep it in place. Thanks

post-64325-0-11297000-1605432201_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that bike is so awesome it does not deserve to be fitted with bar ends :P

Took her out for some fresh air in the rain yesterday .Should be riding this bike much more often 

Enjoying it in SS configuration.

Liking the new challenge. Did a 20km loop this morning - 520m elevation gain. Smashed it in just under 20kph average...miffed i didn't hit 20. Next time. MOAR POWA!!

Im still amazed at just how fast i’m climbing on it now since there aren't any bail out gears anymore...and my bail out gear was 36T on my 1x10. The 19T cog really is the magic ratio on a 32T chainring. There’s this one steep bit that i always crawled up at about 10kph and the ‘PB’ stayed put forever because of where it is on the ride. I Hulk-smashed it at 15kph this morning haha.

Funny where you find energy when the ‘floor is lava’

PS: the build slso came in at 10,5kg. Not bad for a steel hardtail with boat anker alloy wheels and a Brooks saddle that weighs more than the earth. Thats 4kg less than when i rode it with gears and frame bags and tools and the huge rubber before it got stolen.

post-64325-0-05191200-1606040265_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555

Enjoying it in SS configuration.

Liking the new challenge. Did a 20km loop this morning - 520m elevation gain. Smashed it in just under 20kph average...miffed i didn't hit 20. Next time. MOAR POWA!!

Im still amazed at just how fast i’m climbing on it now since there aren't any bail out gears anymore...and my bail out gear was 36T on my 1x10. The 19T cog really is the magic ratio on a 32T chainring. There’s this one steep bit that i always crawled up at about 10kph and the ‘PB’ stayed put forever because of where it is on the ride. I Hulk-smashed it at 15kph this morning haha.

Funny where you find energy when the ‘floor is lava’

PS: the build slso came in at 10,5kg. Not bad for a steel hardtail with boat anker allow wheels and a books saddle that weighs more than the earth. Thats 4kg less than when i rode it with gears and frame bags and tools and the huge rubber before it got stolen.

That looks good ... and #TanWallTyres4TheWin!

I played with my ratio this morning, taking her from a 32x18t to a 36x16t as I am riding her around the neighbourhood if and when I can get out and ride .... the dreams of hitting Table Mountain before work are long gone as it only looks like we will be back in town in the new year, so have set her up to cruise along the coast instead. 

That looks good ... and #TanWallTyres4TheWin!

I played with my ratio this morning, taking her from a 32x18t to a 36x16t as I am riding her around the neighbourhood if and when I can get out and ride .... the dreams of hitting Table Mountain before work are long gone as it only looks like we will be back in town in the new year, so have set her up to cruise along the coast instead.

Also the only maxxis tires without crass yellow pikey branding lol.

I was looking for some tan walls after i got the bronze Brooks saddle and saw summit bikes had rekon race on special for R600 or something so got a pair. They are super lekker actually, and weigh nothing in comparison to my 2.6” schwalbes. I saved near to 1kg on tires alone! pleasantly surprised with them. Roll super fast and have tons of grip for something with that small of a pin. Now just need some pikey grips but the black dmr deathgrips i had lying around still have plenty of life in them so they are staying put. The SQ labs grips that were on there got damaged when it was kidnapped.

• 2 weeks later...

So maybe I've gone mad but I have a fixed gear wheel set lying around and I don't really want another track bike. Toying with the idea of a tracklocross bike but 2nd hand frames are are pretty non existent. So was thinking I could slap them on a mtb frame and make a fixed monster cross Frankenstein bike. Yes, it's impractical and silly but the right trails or road it should be a blast. If you think this is a bad idea it is so good what mtb frames would be compatible?

So maybe I've gone mad but I have a fixed gear wheel set lying around and I don't really want another track bike. Toying with the idea of a tracklocross bike but 2nd hand frames are are pretty non existent. So was thinking I could slap them on a mtb frame and make a fixed monster cross Frankenstein bike. Yes, it's impractical and silly but the right trails or road it should be a blast. If you think this is a bad idea it is so good what mtb frames would be compatible?

I see many challenges with this project:

Hub spacing - track or fixed hubs are generally spaced for 120mm. So it’s unlikely the wheels will fit a MTB frame without spacers.

Chain Line - assuming you get the spacing sorted, getting the chain line right will be tricky.

Chain Tension - unless you get lucky and find the magic ratio, you’d probably have to run a tensioner. Fixed gear doesn’t like a tensioner, “back pedaling” takes the tension out of the system and you’ll end up with chain slip.

Braking - you’d need to find a frame with V-brake bosses, as disks aren’t an option on track wheels. Aligning pads on the different wheel size may be a problem, that’s assuming that the rims you have, have a braking surface.

All in all, I think the idea is going to cause you some frustration. But please post pics of you do decide to give it a bash!

Hub spacing - track or fixed hubs are generally spaced for 120mm. So it’s unlikely the wheels will fit a MTB frame without spacers.

Chain Line - assuming you get the spacing sorted, getting the chain line right will be tricky.

Chain Tension - unless you get lucky and find the magic ratio, you’d probably have to run a tensioner. Fixed gear doesn’t like a tensioner, “back pedaling” takes the tension out of the system and you’ll end up with chain slip.

Braking - you’d need to find a frame with V-brake bosses, as disks aren’t an option on track wheels. Aligning pads on the different wheel size may be a problem, that’s assuming that the rims you have, have a braking surface.

All in all, I think the idea is going to cause you some frustration. But please post pics of you do decide to give it a bash!

Funnily enough, I actually have a 32 hole 135mm QR (bolt in) rear hub with a track/fixie thread and 6 bolt disc mounting..... White Industries in silver

So if anyone does want a tracklocross hub, I have one

Funnily enough, I actually have a 32 hole 135mm QR (bolt in) rear hub with a track/fixie thread and 6 bolt disc mounting..... White Industries in silver

So if anyone does want a tracklocross hub, I have one

Are there any strange and wonderful bits and bobs that you can not find in a normal LBS that you do not have at home!

Are there any strange and wonderful bits and bobs that you can not find in a normal LBS that you do not have at home!

Hopefully, after the coming purge, those weird and wonderful bits will be someone elses problem!

As per usual I got so pumped I didn't consider any challenges and figured i could just slap the wheels on and go party on my bike.

Luckily, through the power of the Hub, I have managed to find a complete On-One Pompino for a super reasonable price. It has clearance for 35mm tyres which would be suitable for the riding I am considering. On the upside I will have 2 sets of wheels and tyres, one fixed/slick and the other freewheel/gravel.

On the downside would be getting the gearing right on both sets of wheels so I don't have to muck with my chain overtime I want to ride it in a different configuration. And I don't get to build a bike a bike up.

As per usual I got so pumped I didn't consider any challenges and figured i could just slap the wheels on and go party on my bike.

Luckily, through the power of the Hub, I have managed to find a complete On-One Pompino for a super reasonable price. It has clearance for 35mm tyres which would be suitable for the riding I am considering. On the upside I will have 2 sets of wheels and tyres, one fixed/slick and the other freewheel/gravel.

On the downside would be getting the gearing right on both sets of wheels so I don't have to muck with my chain overtime I want to ride it in a different configuration. And I don't get to build a bike a bike up.

I have some 35c Continental CX tires if you want. Brand new

Pretty sure that il Pompino also used to be mine! hahahahaha

It's a rad bike. It did a few CX seasons with me in Europe as well as a few 24 hour cx races. If it is the same bike it has been sprayed black but was originally baby blue.

Edited by Jewbacca

Im still amazed at just how fast i’m climbing on it now since there aren't any bail out gears anymore...and my bail out gear was 36T on my 1x10.

This is so true.

My SS gearing recognises that I mostly use it on the Spruit where the climbs are short and long stretches are fast, (but I must still get home) so I am running 34x17 at the moment.

The is a climb up the back of Northcliff, 2.6km at an average grade of 6.1% with a few stretches between 13% - 14% and peaking at 17%. My (MTB) PB is on the SS as you just HAVE to get out of the saddle and stay on top of the gear.

It pushes the heart rate, but it is fast..

post-50-0-56296300-1606896383_thumb.jpg

Edited by eddy

I have some 35c Continental CX tires if you want. Brand new

Pretty sure that il Pompino also used to be mine! hahahahaha

It's a rad bike. It did a few CX seasons with me in Europe as well as a few 24 hour cx races. If it is the same bike it has been sprayed black but was originally baby blue.

Let me test ride it first.

It is a baby blue one. Good condition and a nice all around beater.

Edited by C.Chinaski

This is so true.

My SS gearing recognises that I mostly use it on the Spruit where the climbs are short and long stretches are fast, (but I must still get home) so I am running 34x17 at the moment.

The is a climb up the back of Northcliff, 2.6km at an average grade of 6.1% with a few stretches between 13% - 14% and peaking at 17%. My (MTB) PB is on the SS as you just HAVE to get out of the saddle and stay on top of the gear.

It pushes the heart rate, but it is fast..

What a beauty