Liezel vd Westhuizen crashes - out of ironman PE

Shebeen

oh my word sista, is this not the most ridiculous JRA you have ever heard?

I'm sorry, but there is just too much bullsh1t here, was this maybe written by hayibo.com?

story on news24

Cape Town - Expresso presenter Liezel van der Westhuizen is in hospital and learning how to walk on crutches after a serious fall from her bicycle over the weekend.

According to YOU magazine, Van der Westhuizen took part in the Cape Argus Pick ‘n Pay cycle tour on Sunday – and managed to stay on two wheels for the duration of the 109 km challenge before tragedy struck.

"I fell about 500m away from my house while I was cycling home after the Argus," she says.

"I am busy training for an Ironman event so I cycled the 15km from my house to the start of the Argus, then finished the race in a very good time. And then I cycled home, well – I almost made it home!"

Liezel says she’s "not one hundred percent sure what happened, but what she does know is that she fell hard."

Beautiful route

"Nothing’s broken, and I’m hoping for a quick recovery. It’s just serious bruising, scrapes, bumps and cuts. I am battling to walk, so I am being taught how to use crutches right now. Once I’ve mastered these I will be sent home, which I’m hoping is before the end of the week," she says.

The former Idols host won’t be making an appearance on her regular early morning slot on SABC3 this week. And despite her injuries, Liezel’s upbeat about her performance in the Argus itself.

"It went very well. I posted a good time of 4 hours 20 minutes, so I am quite happy about that. The race itself was amazing, such a beautiful route," she says.

Ironman

"And apart from the injuries I got from the fall, I feel great. I am quite fit in general because of the challenges of the Ironman series, so I wasn’t stiff at all after the race and was feeling excellent, until I fell, of course!"

Liezel says she’s hoping to get back into the swing of daily life again soon.

"I hope the recovery is quick and that I can get back to work. There is also an Ironman event happening in three weeks time which I am hoping to take part in," she says.

"But I will obviously need to check with the doctors and see what they have to say first, I don’t want to make any of the injuries worse by pushing myself too hard too soon."

- YOU

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4hours 20 min a good argus time? When you are doing the Ironman in 3 weeks?

Hope cycling is her weeker discipline.

That said, hope she has a speedy recovery.

So she doesn't know what happened - but fell hard.

No broken bones, but struggling to walk?

<_<

I think she did IM last year as well, If 109km takes 4:20, she must spend 8+hours on the bike leg...

Now THAT is endurance!!! :D

Ah this is what I love about thehub - how we encourage newcomers to the sport.

I'm sure newbies love it when we tell them how *** they are.

Way to go hubbers!

Way to go hubbers!

I'm not a newbie and I get told daily how *** I am, sometimes even with a klap or two :(

Edited by nathrix™ ®

learning to use crutches :o

they're a bit of a no-brainer

hehehe! not rocket science hey! :clap:

Way to go hubbers!

+ 1...

(didn't you know that there aren't place for newbies. YOu go buy your bike , and then you're Gods gift to cycling, you even get the body with it to ride the bike for you, that finish the Argus in 3 hours, and never crashes.) :huh:

Way to go hubbers!

She is not a newcomer. She has done a few triathlons. She was quite shocked when she interviewed David Bellairs last week and he told he she needed to remove her tri-bars from her bike.

why do you say that?

you're kidding, right?

where should i start?! - a week in hospital to learn how to walk??

i think she's trying to look for an excuse to get out of doing that pe race

learning to use crutches :o

they're a bit of a no-brainer

Really?

I just had a hip replacement op and never having used them before I can assure you it was a very difficult first coupla days.

You lot amaze me

Experts at everything

Especially all those wannebee pros sic above adding their expert opinion