Liezel vd Westhuizen crashes - out of ironman PE

Shebeen

:lol:

I knew that was coming! They had 75 slots for men to ride the race. We paid quite a bit more than the ladies - all the cash went to breast cancer charities - and we had to dress up too!

dress down maybe ..

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder how many of the guy's commenting here on her Argus time will be able to finish an Ironman........she did.

Also training for Ironman has got nothing really to do with how fast you can do the Argus, there is this little matter of a 3.8 swim before the bike and then a short 42.2 km run after the 180km bike.....wonder how many of the sub 3 guy's would be able to handle that in 3 week’s time??

:clap:

Here's an interview with her:

LvdW

I heard last year she tried to atempt the iron man but she didnt finsh. So good luck for this years one

She missed the cut-off in the 70.3. Check the link I posted.

dress down maybe ..

I was fairly conservative… :blush:

The Ironman cut off is 17 hours. There are also cut off times for the swim (2h20), Bike (10h30 total time).

Thus it is a challenge achievable to the masses. Ironman is only a race for a select few athletes. The other 1500 people are competing against them self. And a finish is most of the times even better than a win for the pro's.

My wife is doing her first Ironman in April after having two kids. She is aiming for the late 15h mark but 16h59 will also do. Then ive got a climbing mate who fell of a rock and broke both ancles bad. had numerous operations and he is also doing it. He is planning to walk the marathon.

Point is Ironman is for anyone with guts and determination and most people have very different back grounds and expectations. Maybe better not to judge on face value.

Screw being a bleeding heart liberal - give us your time hero so we can make fun of it.

my time for ironman? never done it. i'm a little bit anti-ironman to be brutally honest.

overpriced, overhyped imho. The masses are welcome to dedicate 6 months of their life to it, I'd much rather spend my time, money and effort elsewhere on events i find a bit more rewarding. Don't think i'd have a problem finishing it though.

so, whilst we're all throwing arrows here, what's your time chief?

The Ironman cut off is 17 hours. There are also cut off times for the swim (2h20), Bike (10h30 total time).

Thus it is a challenge achievable to the masses. Ironman is only a race for a select few athletes. The other 1500 people are competing against them self. And a finish is most of the times even better than a win for the pro's.

My wife is doing her first Ironman in April after having two kids. She is aiming for the late 15h mark but 16h59 will also do. Then ive got a climbing mate who fell of a rock and broke both ancles bad. had numerous operations and he is also doing it. He is planning to walk the marathon.

Point is Ironman is for anyone with guts and determination and most people have very different back grounds and expectations. Maybe better not to judge on face value.

Heard the pros say they have lots of respect for the people finishing last... because for them racing for money its a long hard day, for those at the end its just as hard and twice as long.

If you are Tyler Day, then 4:20 is pretty slow, but for many people 4:20 is a damn good time. My first Argus took me a wopping 5:10. Back then, I would have killed for a 4:20.

So lets be happy for the "Idol's Chick" whoever she may be. I don't watch Idols, I think watching my plants grow is more entertaining.

:lol:

I knew that was coming! They had 75 slots for men to ride the race. We paid quite a bit more than the ladies - all the cash went to breast cancer charities - and we had to dress up too!

ha ha ha... well done for suppporting a good cause (in drag 'nogal') :lol:

Heard the pros say they have lots of respect for the people finishing last... because for them racing for money its a long hard day, for those at the end its just as hard and twice as long.

Sauser commented once that he has a lot of respect and amazed at riders that have 9-5 jobs can tackle the Cape Epic.

so maybe there's a lot of dumb blonde inserted by the magazine staff. but 4h20(or is it 4h39?!) is not exactly smoking 3 weeks from ironman.

Oooo hubbers now insulting blondes

BTW not everyone can cycle like Rynaard either, imagine what he must think (not) of okes who brag about going under 3 hrs....

http://www.bicycling.co.za/files/touchline/bicycling/imagecache/slideshow_content_landscape/node-files/22/slides/Double_Century.jpg

http://www.themarketingsite.com/content/Race_Two.jpg

http://www.urban-ninja.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Liezel2.jpg

http://www.jacarandafm.com/kagiso/media_stream/kagiso/1/batch_76/760806/images/PIC.jpg

She looks in better form than most cyclists I've seen...

look - i dont think she is the brightest, but i have to respect her for getting out their and competing. who cares if she did a 3 4 or 5 hr argus etc. and if she has done an ironman - you cant just wake up and decide to do something like that. We should all be applauding the fact that public figures are raising some sort of awareness to cycling -even if it is one event every year

im speaking under correction bu raynard Tissink completed the ironman cycle 2010 in 4:36 now that puts a sub 3 argus into context! ironman is not a 6 month excercise program its a lifestyle, i for one dont do the argus because of the chance of having a involantary lydown with three weeks to go to ironman so dont knock the girl! she may have been trying to stay out of trouble! in the article she says she was using the argus as training for the ironman anyway

Edited by Face Plant

Nice work RB. And what's with the slamming guys? More good looking girls on bikes is exactly what the world needs. And I don't care how well they ride, I offer free riding tips and trailside maintenance in exchange for phone numbers. So it kinda works in my favour if they suck.

(Yes, I know there are 3 double entendres in there. See if you can spot them.)

;)